PDA

View Full Version : Big savings on Clutches!

Lankstarr
26-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Well maybe :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-01-ACURA-NSX-O-E-M-BRAND-NEW-COMPLETE-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ006QQitem Z160231190998QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You luck 3.0 people can get cheap clutches from the US but from what I've seen so far the 3.2 ones require a kidney in p/x. Would you be nuts to go for something like this, it says OEM but I think that's bollox, Dali ones are double thsi price and you don't normally get much cheaper than Dali.

I'm not too clued up on parts - would I be a mug to get one of these?

I don't need a clutch yet, but when I do I don;t want the car off the road whilst I wait for the bit to arrive (like I did for the a/c compressor!)

Thoughts?

L*

Ewan
27-04-2008, 07:24 AM
You luck 3.0 people can get cheap clutches from the US but from what I've seen so far the 3.2 ones require a kidney in p/x.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-2005-NSX-OEM-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQitemZ220114660275QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3 756.m20.l1116

$633 for 97-05 NSX OEM clutch kit...

Lankstarr
27-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Ok guys I'm confused!

Dali have these up for $2225:
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1109

For most other OEM parts they are by far the cheapest so what's going on with this part at $633 from a reputable seller (Acura dealer as well).

Am I missing something?

If not and you want one of these let me know and I will arrange to get a few shipped over. A few people on here can have credit from me but if I donn;t knnow you and you want one then you'll have to stump up cash up front... and I won't let it hold up the order!

I've only looked into 3.2 clutches... if there are 3.0 ones cheap from the same seller and you want me to enquire then please let me know the item number etc.

No rush for these but I'll have to set a deadline... how about end of next week to make you minds up?

That is of course assuming these are the things that Honda charge about £1700 for and only last about 30,000 miles? We'll all need one sooner or later!

Luke

goldnsx
27-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Don't be surprised if you there's a 'O.E.M. brand' sticker on the box if you buy the ebay junk. :D Same for the compressor for about $150-250.

The second link (acura...) seems to be an opportunity.

markc
27-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Both kits on ebay are for the cover/pressure plate, friction plate and release bearing. The one Dali list also includes the flywheel.

For some reason the Acura (USA) recommend replacing the flywheel along with the clutch components. Honda (UK) do not.

Personally I can't see why you'd replace the flywheel just for the sake of it as it wouldn't usually wear at anything like the same rate as the clutch components. Of course it could be badly scored if the worn friction plate rivets have gouged into it OR the dual mass part (rubber coupling) of the flywheel broken but if not just re-use it.

When I did my clutch last year I bought genuine Honda parts from a Honda dealer for about £550. I didn't bother with a new flywheel and it has (of course) been fine.

Cheers

Mark

AR
27-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Both kits on ebay are for the cover/pressure plate, friction plate and release bearing. The one Dali list also includes the flywheel.

For some reason the Acura (USA) recommend replacing the flywheel along with the clutch components. Honda (UK) do not.

Personally I can't see why you'd replace the flywheel just for the sake of it as it wouldn't usually wear at anything like the same rate as the clutch components. Of course it could be badly scored if the worn friction plate rivets have gouged into it OR the dual mass part (rubber coupling) of the flywheel broken but if not just re-use it.

When I did my clutch last year I bought genuine Honda parts from a Honda dealer for about £550. I didn't bother with a new flywheel and it has (of course) been fine.

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

I think the flywheel thing is for NA1 clutches.

Cheers,

Ary

Silver Surfer
27-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Lukestarr,

I'll be interested in a new clutch for my '91.

SS

AR
27-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Don't be surprised if you there's a 'O.E.M. brand' sticker on the box if you buy the ebay junk. :D Same for the compressor for about $150-250.

The second link (acura...) seems to be an opportunity.

Ditto, just buy it from a reputable dealer! :)

mart155
27-04-2008, 09:52 PM
So what are the pro's and con's of a lightweight flywheel.
There are some here for £650 incl flywheel and it doesn't have to come from the USA.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXEDY-HYPER-SINGLE-CLUTCH-FOR-Honda-NSX-NA1-2_W0QQitemZ320215917352QQihZ011QQcategoryZ72205QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q 2em118Q2el1247

WhyOne?
28-04-2008, 07:25 AM
I have been interested in having a clutch sat on the shelf for some time - if we can decide on a sensible way forward, I am very interested! (Acura dealer looks good to me...I just need to be sure / understand the flywheel issue).

Senninha
28-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Gents,

This topic comes up quite regularly. MIne has the fairly common 3.2 fault of having a judder in first when cold. Nortons have checked this as I anticipating the need for a new clutch. I'm assured that all is well, it is a known issue on some cars.

Personally I would not go the fleabay route especially with the time needed to actually install a clutch ... really wouldn't want to be doing this twice in a short space of time.

I may still decide to renew and would look much closer to home either with Marks route of OEM from a dealer, or, if I wanted the flywheel as well (not normally needed on 3.2), then I would talk to Barry

http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4041

I dont know what his stock level is or whether theres more of a saving to be had with a GB, but might be worth asking the question

1. GB price for NA1 3.0 package
2. GB price for NA2 clutch only
3. GB price for NA2 complete package
4. ?

Might be other combos to propose?

regards, Paul

markc
28-04-2008, 08:25 AM
AR, the US guys apply the same rule to NA2 clutch "kits" as they do NA1s.

Here's the thread I started on Prime before I replaced my clutch last year where I made the observation that the US dealers recommend changing the flywheel on (NA2s) as well...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55823&highlight=clutch

Cheers

Mark

Papalazarou
28-04-2008, 08:31 AM
From what I've read so far, there are a few options. (3.2 owners)

1. Buy the clutch, less the flywheel and hope the flywheel is reusable. As markc said, there's a very good chance it will be fine.

2. Bite the bullet and buy the clutch with flywheel at just over a grand from the states and use the flywheel if necessary.

3. Buy a NA1 NSXR input shaft ($305) from SOS which allows the use of a NA1 clutch for which there appears more choice and for which the oem clutch is cheaper.

see below;

Twin splined main shaft accepts twin clutch plates allowing any NSX 6-speed transmission to accept readily available twin disc clutch kits for the 1991-1996 NSX. The nature of twin plate clutches lend better performance due to their relative low moment of inertia (MOI). This results in the transmission being able to rev faster - allowing rapid rev-matched downshifts.
This conversion also allows 6-speed owners to use less expensive clutch/flywheel options (ie. factory, ACT, Centerforce, Spec Clutch, etc.)

I think that's right. However, not sure about the price of installing the NSXR input shaft.

Cheers,

James.

WhyOne?
28-04-2008, 09:05 AM
1. Buy the clutch, less the flywheel and hope the flywheel is reusable. As markc said, there's a very good chance it will be fine.

OK....how about this......it seems that there is a better than 'evens' chance that the flywheel will be re-useable. However, this is not going to be known until the car is in bits on the workshop floor, at this stage, sourcing a US$ one is not going to be an option.

So, how about a group of interested NA2 owners buying a single flywheel to be held in in the UK in case of emergency? The individual who needs the flywheel will then have to replace the 'emergency' flywheel they have used, albeit at their leisure and at US$ prices?

simonprelude
28-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I have been thinking along these lines for a while.

My preference is OEM and as long as someone (possibly several people chip in) has a spare OEM flywheel that anyone could use if someone finds they need one at clutch change time, then they can stump up the money to replace the communal spare at the best price available at the time.

So add me to OEM NA2 clutch kit and a % share in a communal flywheel spare if we decide to go down that route ?? (Or I'll buy a flywheel and it will then be available at cost to me plus x should anyone need it before me)

simonprelude
28-04-2008, 09:15 AM
OK my response took longer but I was already typing it :)

As said I'll be happy to chip in, nothing worse than your car being in pieces and being told you need an extra part and you have to order via Honda as they hold all the cards :(

OK....how about this......it seems that there is a better than 'evens' chance that the flywheel will be re-useable. However, this is not going to be known until the car is in bits on the workshop floor, at this stage, sourcing a US$ one is not going to be an option.

So, how about a group of interested NA2 owners buying a single flywheel to be held in in the UK in case of emergency? The individual who needs the flywheel will then have to replace the 'emergency' flywheel they have used, albeit at their leisure and at US$ prices?

I have been thinking along these lines for a while.

My preference is OEM and as long as someone (possibly several people chip in) has a spare OEM flywheel that anyone could use if someone finds they need one at clutch change time, then they can stump up the money to replace the communal spare at the best price available at the time.

So add me to OEM NA2 clutch kit and a % share in a communal flywheel spare if we decide to go down that route ?? (Or I'll buy a flywheel and it will then be available at cost to me plus x should anyone need it before me)

WhyOne?
28-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Just about 'on topic' I think.........does anyone know if there are any workshop time savings to be made by combining clutch replacement with the cambelt change service?

markc
28-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Different ends of the engine so I'd say no there actually isn't BUT you may be offered a saving based on the total number of hours you're paying for.

Mark

AR
28-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Just about 'on topic' I think.........does anyone know if there are any workshop time savings to be made by combining clutch replacement with the cambelt change service?

Only if you are doing an engine out job!

Senninha
10-05-2008, 08:57 PM
..........cheap clutches from the US but from what I've seen so far the 3.2 ones require a kidney in p/x.
Thoughts?

L*

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-2005-NSX-OEM-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262 QQcategoryZ33730QQihZ012QQitemZ220114660275

how about this ???

simonprelude
11-05-2008, 07:20 AM
I've asked about a group buy price and cost of a flywheel.

Steveycaz
11-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Well I can't wait - my clutch is definitely slipping now so I've ordered the NA1 kit from Dirk. At current Euro rates (:eek:) I'm spending about £1100 on the clutch kit, flywheel and new set of release bearings and bolts. Parts should be delivered end of the week.