PDA

View Full Version : Service Cost - Trident Honda - O2 sensor

MattS
06-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Just thought I'd share what I've been quoted by Trident Honda for servicing and repairs:

Basic service £220
Sump gasket £220 (small oil leak)
Aircon regas and pipes £135
O2 sensor replacement £400 !!

They reckon that Honda charges £300 for O2 sensors (just the part) and that it is their policy to ONLY fit Honda equipment. If I get hold of another sensor, they won't fit it.

They've given me the error code 66-2PO141, but are reluctant to tell me which of the 4 sensors needs replacing. The part number is apparently 36542PR7AO1

I've asked them not to replace the sensor as yet as this quote seems excessive, particularly as some people are fitting OEM parts (about £100) themselves - not sure if I've got the skill or guts to try this myself though!

Any advice or opinions gratefully received!

Matt

BrownBear
06-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Maybe this will help?

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424

blue5
06-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Brown bear has posted my response to a previous thread and just to add my local garage fitted it as i did not have time to do it. I provided the workshop manual and marked which of the 2 sensors to change (clearly shown in the book) and just like the macho breed they are did not look at the book and changed the wrong one (because it was easier?). Oh how we laughed when i pointed out their failure and stood watching them do it again!!

Cost £15.00

Yes it is easy to do, and you can see the pages in the maunal on NSXPrime.com

Let us know how you get on.

MattS
06-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks,

I did look at the Oxygen sensor thread before posting as suggested by The Brown Bear... The links there don't seem to have the correct OE part number that I need - I've emailed some enquiries and will wait to hear if they can source the part.

Apparently I need 36542-PR7-A01 which according to automedicsupply.com is the "Downstream sensor after catalyst on the right side". They sell the OEM for $129.99 and a universal for $59.90...

Do you reckon I'll do any damage by driving the car with a dodgy sensor, as long as I take it easy? Last thing I need is a rogered catalyst!

Thanks again,

Matt

jaytip
06-04-2005, 10:14 AM
one of the 02 sensors went on my car.i think it was the one on the boot side of the engine.Honda did indeed charge me almost £400 for the part and a friend of mine fitted it for me.i think he struggled a bit because of the lack of room and he ended up dropping either the cats out or the back box(can't remember which).
when i spoke to one of the mechanics at the dealership,they told me that it would be ok to drive the car until i replaced the sensor,as long as i didn't leave it for months.
whether that was accurate advice or not,i do not know,but i would ask the dealership that diagnosed the problem,just to be on the safe side if i were you.

Ivor.

MattS
06-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks Ivor,

The plot thickens actually. Apparently it is the front sensors that fail most frequently and it is these that Fuelparts and Dingbro have-that's why most people haven't had any problems replacing them...

Unfortunately, the sensor that's failed on my car is the one that is 'above and to the rear of the transverse catalyst'. This is a different spec and as far as I can tell is only made by Walker and Denso. I can't find anyone who sells it in the UK. The people that do the universal fit sensors don't recommend their own product. I'm going to try Gunn Acura in texas as suggested as well as Honda UK.

Matt

BrownBear
06-04-2005, 11:27 AM
I did look at the Oxygen sensor thread before posting as suggested by The Brown Bear

Er, Maybe it's time I changed my login name ? 'Joe' is fine ;)

Try these guys too, they're pretty good
http://www.tucsonacuraservice.com/

blue5
06-04-2005, 07:17 PM
The reason i discovered the sensor had failed was the warning code and when i took it for its mot it failed on emmissions, i think it was 2 instead of 0 in other words it was running rich that was all.

When you get the part can you post the cost as it might be beneficial to us all

Goos luck

MattS
07-04-2005, 03:50 PM
I have ordered the part from www.automedicsupply.com

This seems to be quite a good website as you can cross-check the Honda part code brought up by the diagnostic computer against the part you think you need.

Cost for the OEM is $155 including shipping. They did do a cheaper sensor, but this wasn't OEM. I'll probably try to fit it myself (Trident Honda UK wanted £400 for the part and fitting!)

Just got the bill from Trident Honda for 1) Minor Service 2) Replace sump gasket 3)Replace clutch & brake fluid 4) Cam cover seals 5)Regas aircon and replace split hoses. They charged me £55ph labour ("instead of the usual NSX charge of £75ph") and have given the car a good going over. Apparently nothing else needs doing (thank God). Total bill was £890 - obviously excluding the O2 sensor.

Far from a bargain, but they do seem to know their NSX's. I've obviously paid a premium for piece of mind (that's what I've told the wife anyway!).

BrownBear
07-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Yes, not a bargain. But Alan's worth the money (honest).

Now you can just enjoy the car :)

modarr
07-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Hey Matt,

I can give you something for the swollen left ear if you want.

Mo

MattS
08-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Thanks Mo,

Are you offering me the same stuff you use? By all accounts I guess you've needed a lot recently!!

I meet need your expertise when it comes to fitting the sensor though please!..

Matt

modarr
08-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Shoot man! I've got a 10 gallon drum out back.

I'll certainly help if I can.

Mo