PDA

View Full Version : Track rod end

Mike_L
20-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Failed its MOT :cry: however just on 1 track rod end and have just replaced it (now passed with flying colours :) )

Anybody know if the full wheel alignment is needed again? - I have not long had it done so don't really want to go through the expense again unless absolutly necessary.

I have had the toe in checked (I used the lock nut as a guide when I screwed the new one back on so when checked at the local tyre place it was unchanged 8) .)

ctrlaltdelboy
20-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi Mike, can I pick your brain please....

where did you get your alignment done?
which settings did you use?
how long did it take them?
how much did it cost?

cheers!

Darren

Mike_L
20-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Honda Main dealer - Marshall's of Reading

They are not an official NSX dealer but they have a fully qualified NSX technician and they are very familiar dealing with the NSX.

As for settings, They set them up as per Honda spec I assume, I just let them get on with it. Mine did need doing, turned out they were quite far out, Don't suppose it had been done for some years by the previous owners if ever. It did feel better to drive afterwards. Oh and it cost 200 pound including Gordon Brown's chunk :( . It was billed as 2.5 hours at 70 pound per hour +vat. The alignment and a major service was done in the day.

I can send you the settings they used if you like.

Kevin
20-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Don't alignment settings cost, depend on how much work needs to be done? I wouldn't expect to pay anything if the settings are OK.

A friend and me are wondering if it's worth getting the alignment kit that you can use at the track. Don't know how accurate they are.

Just ordered a tyre pyrometer as a start though.

ctrlaltdelboy
20-02-2004, 05:57 PM
there are 2 sets of factory alignments to choose from, the original 1991-1992 spec which ate rear tires on Sunday driver cars, and the 1993+ spec which gave longer tyre life at the expense of hard driving performance.

the only difference was the orig rear toe was 6mm and the revised was 4mm.

some people who always drive their NSX's gently run 3mm to with 1.0 deg camber (as opposed to 1.5 deg std) for even better tyre life.

a 4 wheel alignment where adjustments are required should take 1-1.5 hours.

look here for more info http://nsxprime.com/FAQ/TireWheel/alignment.htm

Mike_L
20-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Rear toe was set at 4 and camber 1.5

ctrlaltdelboy
20-02-2004, 06:43 PM
cool - if your tyres are wearing unevenly with those settings you're driving like a wuss. If you drive it hard and your rear tyre wear is even and you want to push it a bit further, go for the 6mm setting. 8)