PDA

View Full Version : 02 Facelift - How much ?

AR
05-04-2005, 10:51 AM
I read one article on NSX Prime and was wondering how difficult and how much of an expense it will be to update a pop up NSX to 02 specs in the UK.

Also will this affect the insurance since it could increase the value of the vehicle.

I will appreciate any info.

trackdemon
05-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Frankly I think you'd be crazy to do this:

1) (IMHO) the pop ups are far better looking than the rather "forced" late model lamps

2) I think any "serious" mods would affect saleability in a negative way

3) I suspecty that by far the best way to achieve this would be to sell your pre facelift car and purchase a late model car

jaytip
05-04-2005, 02:46 PM
i for one think the 2002+ looks better.when i first saw it i wasn't too keen on it but it has grown on me big time,to the point where i now prefere it to the old style.

science of speed does the 2002+ conversion kit,but it is expensive($6800)(although the doller rate makes it a bit sweeter at the moment).

i may be mistaken but i think it is a reversable mod,if you ever wanted to change back.bumper,bonnet,headlights and a few other small things.

if you were to document the whole procedure from start to finish with photographs(before,during,after)then i think the re-sale value wouldn't be harmed.i know i for one would pay as much for a 2002+ conversion NSX as i would for the equivilent non modded NSX.

it all comes down to whether or not you would be willing to fork out that sort of money KNOWING you probably wouldn't get it back come re-sale time.

Kevin
05-04-2005, 03:44 PM
If you use US headlights for the conversion, may fall foul come MOT time. Those headlights would not be E marked, and so technically would not pass our MOT.

You may be lucky and never get an MOT tester who will notice this, but I know an owner of a US NSX, who's car failed until the lights were changed to UK ones.

The facelifted parts are lighter than the older ones, and more aerodynamic.

Personally I think the rear end changes are better than the front end changes.

jaytip
05-04-2005, 03:51 PM
i didn't think about the lights :oops: . maybe Chris or Seth would be able to source JDM lights?

AR
05-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Well I am thinking of buying a pre 02 model, and then later on doing the project :D My business is seasonal, and I tend to have a lot of time off during the winter. I appreciate the advice guys and will look up the SOS website for reference.

Kevin
05-04-2005, 03:59 PM
i didn't think about the lights :oops: . maybe Chris or Seth would be able to source JDM lights?

If JDM lights are E marked. Do other JDM import cars need to have the lights changed?

jaytip
05-04-2005, 04:38 PM
what does E marked mean?is it something to do with altering the lights for driving in europe.

i thought the only thing that needed to be done on a Japanese import to make it legal in this country was to fit a rear fog light? yes/no,anyone?

markc
06-04-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty sure "E" marks are only required on parts like headlamps, windsreens etc for cars imported when, and registered as new. It doesn't apply to secondhand cars, they just have to comply with the basic MOT test ie the headlamps direct their light output in the correct direction and at the correct height.

If the new car being imported comes with a "Certificate of Conformity" supplied by the manufacturer this is accepted by the DVLA via your local Vehicle Registration Office as evidence that the vehicle conforms to all the current standards for new vehicles and it will be allocated a registration mark.

Oh, and I'm with Kevin IMHO the rear of the '02 is a small improvement but the front is not. The new "mouth" (nose section) looks unhappy/sad. :(

AR
06-04-2005, 09:24 PM
I have looked at NSXs since 91 so I love the pop up look, but I think it will be unbeatable to find a nice NSX, use it for one or two years as a pop up model and then upgrade your car to the 02+. Why go this route, because after one or two years you'll know your car. It will cost less than buying an 02. You get to keep all the mods you've done to the car.
Does it make sense, to me is a cheaper way to upgrade if one does not need the 3.2 engine.

swlabhot
11-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Personally I didn't like the 02 headlights but it has now grown on me so much I actually prefer it to the pop-ups. Sleeker with a more modern look and of course more aerodynamic. I also prefer the 02 rear bumper but the price from Honda has put me off.

I don't think it will hust the resale value at all if you had done the front end conversion. I would certainly pay for what its worth and maybe even a little more on top :)