PDA

View Full Version : How much should I pay?

Unregistered
09-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi, I am currently a VW Corrado VR6 owner and I am looking to buy an NSX. I have always liked the NSX ever since I can remember Tiff Needell driving one when they first came out in Top Gear!

I have a budget of around 15k, would I be able to get a fairly decent one for that sort of money?

What are the running costs and MPG like? The Corrado isn't the cheapest car to maintain and I probably average around 22MPG for town driving and up to 36MPG when cruising.

Thanks for your help,

Phil

kevinpsw
09-04-2008, 07:58 AM
For £15k you'd have a good choice of autos but a much more restricted choice of manuals. For a manual, it'll be 91-93 with high (90-100k) mileage but probably in very good condition with FHSH. If it needs work or has no FHSH, then expect to get £2-3k cheaper.

I had mine for less than 2 years - before it was an insurance write off - and only had one £200 service, a pair of rear tyres at £260 and a new O2 sensor at £120 in 7000 miles. I did do minor cosmetic stuff and a new stereo but that was through choice. MPG average of about 27 mpg mixed driving. Insurance Group 20 but, depending upon your age, this need not be prohibitive; I paid £525 p.a. Limited mileage classic car insurance possible on the older cars but check that commuting is not excluded from the cover; you also normally need a garage at night.

Plan on clutch at 40-60k at £2000, cambelt service every 6 years of 60k at up to £1000 (12 year/120k service) otherwise £200-400 per year. You can probably do all the brakes for £1000. Tyres, fronts 12k miles (£240) and rears 6k miles (£260). Apart from the clutch, routine servicing is therefore very reasonable, even at main dealers.

Of course, it something were to actually go wrong - not common - then big bills would result. Example, EPS at £1100. Body work repairs? Unless you can source secondhand panelwork, don't even ask!

I will have an NSX again when I can afford a 02+ but even the oldest models are fine cars.

gsuds
09-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Agreed Kevin.

The older cars hold up very well indeed. I HAVE had big bills for stuff wearing out, but routine work is very reasonable indeed for such a car.

A couple of us have cars for sale at this end of the market - it's difficult to get a wide look with a rare car, but I (and I'm sure Ary and Luke) would let you have a look & see the sort of car you would get?

HTH

Graham

Lankstarr
10-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Phil,

I have a red/black '91 manual that you can have, I may even consider chopping the VR6 in.

IT's done 104k miles and has an extensive SH with over an inch of bills. The big service was done last year and I'll stick 12 months MOT on it. If you're near me (Basingstoke) I'm happy for you to come and have a look - if only to trawl through all of the bills to get a good idea of running costs.

This site is an excellent base for getting any problems sorted and sourcing parts for less.

I'm running a 1998 manual and have spent about £300 on it in 2 years (other than service and tyres). That was a new a/c compressor and a coolant thermostat all supplied and fitted.

The 1991 that is for sale has been driven by me for 1,000 miles without issue whilst my car was having the a/c comp done (had to source from the states to get a cheap one!). The rear tyres are low and there's a scuff on the rear bumper. Other than that she's ready to go!

Like the guys say 15k is probably bottom for a decent manual with some lower mileage 1991 cars still fetching 20k, you would be able to get a lower mileage auto if you weren;t too fussed on performance!

Luke

gsuds
10-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Luke sorry should've namechecked you in my reply in interests of evenhandedness - rectified now!

G

Lankstarr
11-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks Graham! :)

I don't think Ary's is for sale any more. Two to choose from - one at each end of the country, should be easy to at least get to sit in and have a feel unless you're right in the middle!

Luke

AR
11-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Mine is no longer for sale, but you are welcome to sit in it.

Lankstarr
12-04-2008, 09:25 AM
... but not for too long!

Ary has worked hard to reduce the weight of his car so probably doen;t want people sitting in it to push the pounds back up!

Speaking of weight saving - are you keeping those lovely newly covered seats or tempted to get something lighter. That is the big heavy area that you seem to be avoiding... mind you comfort may be worth it!

L*

AR
13-04-2008, 11:29 PM
... but not for too long!

Ary has worked hard to reduce the weight of his car so probably doen;t want people sitting in it to push the pounds back up!

Speaking of weight saving - are you keeping those lovely newly covered seats or tempted to get something lighter. That is the big heavy area that you seem to be avoiding... mind you comfort may be worth it!

L*

Can't really change the seats as I don't fit in Recaro PP!

Might have to add more power to compensate. :)

markdas
16-04-2008, 10:13 AM
When I was looking for mine I wanted to get one with a decent service history, a manual and a coupe not a T. I was very tempted with Lukes at the time I have to admit, it seems to be well priced for a car known to the club. In my head my buget was 20k but ended up spending 22k on a really immaculate 1995 model with low miles, great Honda history and a known enthusiast so I was happy to spend the extra. High miles was not a major problem for me, as long as the history supported it all, this engine is robust and will last I am sure as long as its always maintained.

I also steered clear of accident damaged ones, although if it can be shown to have been repaired and inspected by the right authorities, for the right car I would not rule it out!

Either way you are going to spend big money (15k plus) so you have to be comfortable that you have bought the right car for you!

Mark