PDA

View Full Version : a/c relay faulty?

madras
07-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi has anyone had any issues with the a/c relay/fuses. I seem to have an intermittent problem (well started as intermittent) sometimes the a/c works fine, sometimes not. I'm hoping this is just a fuse or relay but wondered if this is perhaps a sign of the compressor or something else failing?

I'm going to locate the relays and take a closer look later.

Thanks

duncan
07-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Try the relays by all means, however, the surface mounted capacitors on the a/c circuit board have a similar history of degrading as those within the Bose amps. See the Briank posts on Prime.

madras
07-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Try the relays by all means, however, the surface mounted capacitors on the a/c circuit board have a similar history of degrading as those within the Bose amps. See the Briank posts on Prime.

thanks, already had that repaired by Brian I think last year and then a/c fully recharged by cool cars so I think that is ok.

madras
12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
checked all the realys and fuses. The compressor is running sometimes (I checked to see it engaging in the engine bay) now with the A/C ON - but then it cuts out after about 10seconds and then restarts intermittently but strangly periodically it seems, even though AC is set to ON, not auto so it's not the climate control switching it off.

Also it used to raise revs at idle from 800rpm to 1000rpm, now it raises it to 1000rpm but then starts to fall off to about 900 as if the compressor is struggling, then cuts out about 10seconds later.

When it does run the air is ice cold so I don't think it's a leak in the system as there seems to be plenty of gas in it.

Does this mean my compressor is on the way out? is it difficult to fit as it seems Honda charge lots for this work.

Thanks

Lankstarr
12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
MArk -

just had my compressor done so can help yo9u out here - I paid £90 shipped for one from USA, Honda wanted £2k:eek:

No warnings of failure before it went. YOur clutch could be slipping or belt worn??

Luke

madras
12-04-2008, 09:31 AM
if the clutch is slipping and catching again does this need a whole new compressor?

thanks

Lankstarr
12-04-2008, 04:57 PM
MArk,

This is just a guess from me based on limited knowledge.

If it is just the clutch then I guess it would depend whether the internal cogs are worn inside the compressor as to whether you need a new one.

Try posting a thread on Prime and see if there is a for sale item that will ship to the UK. Expect to pay $200 shipped and if you don;t use it someone here will definitely take it off you I would have thought.

Luke