PDA

View Full Version : Parked outside my neighbour's house this morning...

Ewan
05-04-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm looking forward to early next week, when (if the stars and banking systems align), I'll be picking up my new NSX.

Imagine my surprise when I got up this morning to see, parked outside my neighbour's house...

... a lovely, silver, SLR McLaren Roadster...

Yours for only £350,000, sir :eek:

Now to hot foot it round there and demand a test drive ;)

simonprelude
05-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Where's the pictures then ?

gumball
05-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow, awsome car,

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z148/gumball3ooo/media.jpg

simonprelude
05-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Wow, awsome car,

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z148/gumball3ooo/media.jpg

http://pulseautosport.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/2008-mercedes-benz-slr-mclaren-roadster-side-angle-seashore-1024x768.jpg

:rolleyes:

Ewan
05-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Where's the pictures then ?

I didn't actually see anyone around whilst the car was still there - it left after the GP qualifying so (for several reasons), I reckon it must have been a (senior) employee of McLaren...

Lovely car - though 8-10x the cost of a 5 year old NSX!

Ewan

simonprelude
05-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Very nice, yet to see one in the flesh :)

Senninha
05-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Very nice, yet to see one in the flesh :)

HAd a good look at one at the last Goodwood Brekkie I went too. Its kind of strange because you know what its capable of, and yet, as shown by the photos above, when parked on the drive it could be 'just' another Mercedes SL to the un-educated eye.

Given the construction I have to say that the paint finish on the one I saw, Dark Pearl Grey (good choice ;)), was absolutely faultless.

regards, Paul

Ewan
06-04-2008, 07:05 AM
when parked on the drive it could be 'just' another Mercedes SL to the un-educated eye.

Actually, it arrived at the neighbours on Friday night - I didn't realise until I heard it reversing close to the front of my house. At first, I thought it was an AMG SLK55 until I clocked the side exhausts (it was dark) and realised just what it was.

£350k is still a hell of a lot of money for a car, but I suppose at least with the SLR, you'd use it fairly regularly. I mean, who's going to drive a Zonda to the shops? Or an Enzo? Or a Carerra GT?

(mate of mine was talking with a sales guy from the Porsche garage in Berkeley Square recently, who told him that if they get people wanting to test drive a CGT, they hire a track and ship the car out there for the test... he said that if they just let the driver go for about for 45 mins straight from the dealership, the clutch would be wasted - it's a carbon ceramic affair - very small - which costs £4k in parts, and labour would be huge cos they have to take the engine out to fit it :eek:)

So, if the NSX is the everyday supercar, maybe the SLR is the everyday Hypercar...

gumball
06-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Actually, it arrived at the neighbours on Friday night - I didn't realise until I heard it reversing close to the front of my house. At first, I thought it was an AMG SLK55 until I clocked the side exhausts (it was dark) and realised just what it was.

£350k is still a hell of a lot of money for a car, but I suppose at least with the SLR, you'd use it fairly regularly. I mean, who's going to drive a Zonda to the shops? Or an Enzo? Or a Carerra GT?

(mate of mine was talking with a sales guy from the Porsche garage in Berkeley Square recently, who told him that if they get people wanting to test drive a CGT, they hire a track and ship the car out there for the test... he said that if they just let the driver go for about for 45 mins straight from the dealership, the clutch would be wasted - it's a carbon ceramic affair - very small - which costs £4k in parts, and labour would be huge cos they have to take the engine out to fit it :eek:)

So, if the NSX is the everyday supercar, maybe the SLR is the everyday Hypercar...

Don't have to worry about the clutch in the Mercedes as it's only available as an auto:(

Ewan
06-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Don't have to worry about the clutch in the Mercedes as it's only available as an auto:(
True, but I bet the stealers still manage to charge a healthy four-figure sum for a regular service ;)

Ewan
06-04-2008, 04:02 PM
My neighbour just returned in the SLR - he's borrowed it for the weekend :cool:

Turns out he was at the Goodwood Breakfast Club this morning, in the driving snow... anyone else venture down there this morn?

Senninha
06-04-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm looking forward to early next week, when (if the stars and banking systems align), I'll be picking up my new NSX.

Sorry if I've missed the news elsewhere, but as no-one else has asked in this thread, what have you found ? More info please ....

And congrats, its taken you a while to find your NSX.

regards, Paul

Ewan
06-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Sorry if I've missed the news elsewhere, but as no-one else has asked in this thread, what have you found ? More info please ....

And congrats, its taken you a while to find your NSX.

regards, Paul

Thanks Paul - I'll post more info once the deal is done :)

cheers
Ewan

TheSebringOne
06-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Same here, congrats on eventually buying your NSX at last! I hope its everything you expected & some pics idc :)

Must be interesting if you have a senior member of Mac next door if thats the case!

Paul G
07-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi Ewan,

I made it there...and back! bit of a different drive on the way home though. We saw your neighbour turn up, didn't get much of a chance to take a look as by then I was scrapping the snow of my car to venture home!!

I think I managed to count 5 NSX's in total

Cheers
PG

mutley
07-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi Ewan,

I made it there...and back! bit of a different drive on the way home though. We saw your neighbour turn up, didn't get much of a chance to take a look as by then I was scrapping the snow of my car to venture home!!

I think I managed to count 5 NSX's in total

Cheers
PG

5 NSX, were they anyone from here? If not, you should have badgered them to join us at Mattfest.................need to boost the numbers

Jim

Paul G
07-04-2008, 01:09 PM
No one brave enough to stand near their cars! Guess I could have etched a message on the windscreen!

I did manage a very quick hello to one owner on his way out, not good with names but think it was Charlie from Pulbrough?? from our brief converstation he is active on this site, he is involved in the driving day April 10th in aid of McMilllan Trust, starting at Brooklands. I would have done it as it sounds a good day, unfortunatley works gets in the way!