PDA

View Full Version : Removing BOSE system

Sudesh
03-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I've started removing all the OEM BOSE as I'm puting in a double din screen and aftermraket speakers etc. I have removed the door speakers and rear centre speaker, is there a sub woofer or something up under the dash?? Has anyone else ever done this type of thing?

Lankstarr
03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi Sudesh,

Kevin has a thread detailing removal of his BOSE system in the section on mods to his car.

I have bits ready to go and plan to do an install (when I figure out which NSX is a keeper!).

I think you need to rewire it all due to fibre optic wiring or something funny.

the sub is under the passenger footwell, there are loads of threads on Prime about installs so probably best to have a look there for a detailed removal procedure.

When you work out what to do with the sub replacement please let me know.

Thanks

Luke

Sudesh
03-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Luke I never noticed any fiber optics type wiring? I have the head unit out and all the speakers and they seemed to be wired as normal although with additional power to make the speaker amps work. I actuall had a set of normal speaker wired up to test and although I got sound ok, it was very low due to the fact the speakers dont have their own amps like the OEM units. I'm planning on removing the whole system and install a head unit with built in AMP and new speakers in place of the OEM units. I must have a look on prime and Kev's mods.

gsuds
03-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi Sudesh,

I've hedged my bets and left the OEM head unit in situ, but replaced the speakers with standard type and driving these from Alpine head unit mounted under the passenger dash. Easy enough to do. :) You could easily just leave the sub & centre speaker in place too.

Graham

mutley
03-04-2008, 10:27 PM
I agree with Gsuds, I have done similar, except I have fitted the head unit inside the glove box to keep it hidden. I have removed the Sub from the passenger footwell and looking to replace it with something else, but the centre speaker is still in place for now.

I did eventually remove the OEM head unit as I have gone down the Dali CF console route.

Jim

Sudesh
03-04-2008, 10:33 PM
My bose system was working fine, only reason I removed it, is because I'm installing a double din touch screen tv/DVD/CD screen system and new speakers.

Lankstarr
04-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Luke I never noticed any fiber optics type wiring? I have the head unit out and all the speakers and they seemed to be wired as normal although with additional power to make the speaker amps work. I actuall had a set of normal speaker wired up to test and although I got sound ok, it was very low due to the fact the speakers dont have their own amps like the OEM units. I'm planning on removing the whole system and install a head unit with built in AMP and new speakers in place of the OEM units. I must have a look on prime and Kev's mods.

Don;t quote me about the fibre optic wiring!! I'm sure it's something funny, but can't quite remember what!

WhyOne?
04-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Not that I know, but it is more likely to be multiplexed than fibre optic.