PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide

Heinz '57
01-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi
I am considering changing my S2000 for an NSX. I really want a Targa,not too fussed on colour. However,I notice that most Targas are autos. Can someone explain the real world differance between a manual and an auto?
The car will be a Garage Queen/Weekend toy with the odd trip to Italy,so not a track weapon!
Can you use the paddles (I assume they all have them?) on the auto to manually shift? Is there a vast differance in performance?

The car will be a keeper.

Thanks

Good start,wrong forum! Could a mod please move it.

John

jaytip
01-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi
I am considering changing my S2000 for an NSX. I really want a Targa,not too fussed on colour. However,I notice that most Targas are autos. Can someone explain the real world differance between a manual and an auto?
The car will be a Garage Queen/Weekend toy with the odd trip to Italy,so not a track weapon!
Can you use the paddles (I assume they all have them?) on the auto to manually shift? Is there a vast differance in performance?

The car will be a keeper.

Thanks

Good start,wrong forum! Could a mod please move it.

John
I have never driven an Auto so i can't give any advice on how they are to drive(performance), but i do know that the engine is limited to 252BHP.Couple that with a targa which is heavier than the coupe and i would imagine it would be some way down on the coupe regarding performance.
The paddles are not paddles as such,but a single stalk which you would use in the same way as the indicator-up to change up,down to change down(can auto owners please confirm or correct this please.)
HTH

Ivor.

Papalazarou
01-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I've had a 3.0 Targa and currently own a 3.2 facelift coupe. Both great cars with different characters. All standard NSX's cope with UK roads exceptionally well, but the targa with its slightly softer suspension settings will feel more composed, IMO it's a better GT car.
The best person to speak to about Targas however is Paul (Senninha) he's been modding his for a while now and will be able to advise you about worthwhile upgrades; anti roll bars, chassis bars etc. He's also had an S2000!

like Jaytip, I have no experience of autos, but if you've had an S2000 I imagine you'd probably want a manual.

Try this link;

http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=688

Cheers,

James.

TheQuietOne
01-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Thread moved :).

I would say if you can find one a manual Targa will suit your needs perfectly. I would also say get out there and test drive a few ASAP, it may well clarify your thinking. If you are at or can attend Japfest on May 17th you will be able to see at least 37 examples in one place including a few that will be for sale I would imagine - so that could be a cracking place to start looking!

Hope that helps, Matt.

Senninha
01-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Someone mention my name? :)

TheSebringOne
02-04-2008, 12:56 AM
If you want a targa, I would either go for a manual 3.0 or 3.2, depending on your budget! You will get the best of both worlds, slightly softer suspension for the UK roads and manual gear change for a challenging roads here or abroad. The paddle shift system from what most car testers have said in the past, is not one of best and alot of revs are lost waiting for the system to change up or down? Can anyone confirm this? HTH

Lankstarr
02-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Steveycaz drove an auto when looking for an NSX. I took him for a spin in my manual and although he was massively impressed with the auto he said it didn't compare so brought a manual.

If you aren;t fussed about a manual then you should pick up an auto for a good few grand less.

You should definitely drive both before making your mind up, if you can make it to Basingstoke I'd be happy to take you out for a spin (with me driving though:laugh:).

Good luck and happy hunting!

Luke

Steveycaz
02-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Steveycaz drove an auto when looking for an NSX. I took him for a spin in my manual and although he was massively impressed with the auto he said it didn't compare so brought a manual.

For once Luke is not wrong :)! Auto was good but the manual was WOW!!!!

Mine will be up for sale soon by the way :rolleyes:! Coupe not targa if you change your mind!

TheQuietOne
02-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Mine will be up for sale soon by the way :rolleyes:! Coupe not targa if you change your mind!

That's a shame Steve - not putting £3K deposit down on a GTR are you? :eek:

Senninha
02-04-2008, 07:33 PM
http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail.php?STID=CS210840&BKKN=CU0002035833

I drove an auto when in search mode for my NSX. I was tempted by a couple but decided I wanted a Targa and the later 3.2 so that ruled out the auto.

IMHO, I thought it was a very well sorted car with good gear ratios and better torque characteristics to the manual.

If budget, space and the Missus allowed it, I would look into getting one as a daily driver. If you're looking for a weekend cruiser/GT and especially for the Euro trips, I would be looking at something like the one on the attached link. I think this looks like a great example and an ideal keeper.

SOmeone with better knowledge of the import process could give you an idea as to its 'total' UK price.

The other option for auto at the moment is the rather clean looking MIdnight / Tan on auto trader.

regards, Paul

Jetpilot3
04-04-2008, 02:52 PM
A friend of mine in Dubai has the last ever automatic produced from the factory and its nice to drive (2005 Silver). The cool part of the car is that you can be speaking to someone or on the phone and whip in and out of traffic with ease. Not advising this but phone rang while driving it.

Performance isn't near what you'd expect for a NSX because its slower than the manual by a large margin. With that being said I'd gladly have one in my garage as a daily driver for when I'm stuck in traffic. Same car, same handling, less power...

Nick Graves
05-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi Heinz!

I'd say that the 3.0 doesn't feel a lot faster than the S2000 (it's much torquier so it IS, but doesn't feel it until you're going fast), so the slushbox is going to feel a bit slow.

I've sort of been thinking around the problem and I would ideally have a 3.2 Coupe (in New IOP please) and an older Targa Auto in purple, for when I was in the mood.

And I'd keep the S2000 too.

That's probably not helpful...

Heinz '57
09-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Hi Guys
Thanks for all of your replies,now I am more confused than ever!:unsure:
I would expect the auto to be less powerful than the manual and down on performance , but in everyday,real world driving , does it matter or are we talking Elise/Reliant Kitten difference:eek:?
Is there anywhere that I can get the performance figures from to do a numbers comparison?
The S2000 is a great car but I find that I do not often get into Vtec unless I am overtaking (or having a blast on a private road:shh:) and I use it more as a GT than a hairy arsed racer.However I do like to feel the wind in my remaining hair hence the Targa.
There is also SWMBO to consider and I assume that an auto is easier to drive?
The ideal from my point of view is a manual Targa but they are not exactly , like horse dung , on every corner for a budget of about £20k are they, and at my age I cant afford to wait years for one to turn up:(.

gsuds
09-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Hmmm,

Not sure figures are any use at all for any purpose!!! (Well, help sell magazines.)

Best bet as said before is to try & drive all variations (difficult with a rare car) because it's overall feel, rather than numbers, which gives you the idea of what you really want.

Love the Elise / Kitten analogy :laugh:

Graham

simonprelude
09-04-2008, 10:14 AM
For anyone coming from an S2000 to an NSX I imagine an Auto will feel either like a side step or maybe a backwards one. Unless there is a need for an Auto, health / disability then I would wait. The right car will come along at the right price.