PDA

View Full Version : Weight Reduction

Sudesh
24-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Have any of you guys done anything to reduce weight? I read on prime where some guys remove quite a bit of stuff, spare wheel, power steering [if you have it] front fog lights, aircon, central locking, airbags, Bumper bars and so on.
I dont use the spare wheel either, but cant see me going as far as removing all the rest, maybe front fogs as I noticed the NSX-R also doesnt have them and I never use them anyway, I dont have PS so I guess thats a plus on the weight side. What if anything have any of you guys done to aid in weight reduction?

Nick Graves
24-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Look at the R of the S2000 CR as a guide!

You will find weight savings in the oddest places; a guy on S2K fitted his car with Wilwood alloy brake calipers, imporved braking and sakved around 20Kg in the process! Made a helluva difference to the steering. And unsprung weight, which is most important.

He's kept his air con, for practical reasons. The NSX is a GT car after all, not an Elise.

AR
24-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I made a post that I can't find now about everything I dropped, but I managed to shed 150 lbs off the car whilst retaining AC and Stereo.

Cheers,

AR

Lankstarr
24-03-2008, 09:37 PM
I have ;eft the fogs and spare in the garage but not gone any further/ Quick wins I guess, the next biggest one being seats I think/

Also, I drive in the nude.

Martin
24-03-2008, 09:51 PM
hmm...wish I didn't read that last bit!

TheSebringOne
24-03-2008, 11:02 PM
If you remove the spare wheel & break down, the rescue company may not tow you as its in the fine prints? But you get a can of get you home foam to fix your puncture!

Me, not being quite as expressive or show offy as Luke, would go on Atkins! :D

Silver Surfer
25-03-2008, 12:53 AM
I'll just go for a dump before I go for a drive!;)

SS

Senninha
25-03-2008, 10:46 AM
In an attempt to get this back on track ....

NSX Weight loss - Saving in lbs

Hood 7.8
Spoiler 9.2
Mirrors 1.7
Side pods 8
Rims 6
OEM Stereo 8
Spare 29.4
Engine cover 26
Airbox 3
Exhaust 21
Tool kit1 5

Total to date 135.1 lbs

So for you younger owners that would be @ 62kg or a passenger of about James (Papa's) size

As for where else to reduce weight, I would look to either suspension / brake components ( I have R discs which some claim are lighter but I've not noted above), other body panels ie bootlid in CF, or to the interior. This would be a large job involving seats and retrim and high end CF parts to reduce weight. I've not researched the numbers but I'm sure they are available.

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
25-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Paul, I'm surprise the engine cover is nearly 2 stones! It feels much lighter to me? Must reduce my gym attendance! :eek:

Do you have the puncture can foam thingy? So out goes the spare wheel & entire tool kit! But is there nothing worth leaving thats handy from the tool kit thats not wheel related?

SS, stay off the curry pal! :laugh:

simonprelude
25-03-2008, 04:23 PM
The brake discs are heavy, can't see the type R ones being much lighter, well apart from the grooves. The best option is the Racing Brake 2 piece rotors :)

britlude
25-03-2008, 04:33 PM
swap the B-post covers to c/f as the originals are a heavy aluminium casting! another source of weight loss!

Lankstarr
25-03-2008, 06:47 PM
In an attempt to get this back off track...

Paul,

How did you lose a whole 1.7lbs from your mirrors?

I took the glass out of mine and only managed 1.2lbs... maybe you did the same but had double glazing?

I'm sure you could lose a lot more weight by just removing the roof piece, another 100lbs and you'll nearly be a light (but not as agile) as a FH coupe.

Seriously though I'm amazed that the engine cover was that heavy; when did you say you'd have time to black my engine bay?

L*

In an attempt to get this back on track ....

NSX Weight loss - Saving in lbs

Hood 7.8
Spoiler 9.2
Mirrors 1.7
Side pods 8
Rims 6
OEM Stereo 8
Spare 29.4
Engine cover 26
Airbox 3
Exhaust 21
Tool kit1 5

Total to date 135.1 lbs

So for you younger owners that would be @ 62kg or a passenger of about James (Papa's) size

As for where else to reduce weight, I would look to either suspension / brake components ( I have R discs which some claim are lighter but I've not noted above), other body panels ie bootlid in CF, or to the interior. This would be a large job involving seats and retrim and high end CF parts to reduce weight. I've not researched the numbers but I'm sure they are available.

regards, Paul

AR
25-03-2008, 08:59 PM
So far I have removed the following OEM parts:

OEM Front foglights, brackets and switch - 5*

Toolkit - 15

SRS Steering wheel replaced with Momo and Alloy mount - 7
Cats with test pipes - 16.4

Manifolds with headers - 12.6

Ti exhaust - 31

Spare wheel and bracket - 32.4

Engine cover - 15

Resonator rear section and bracket - .4?*

OEM Cd changer with bracket for Alpine with custom bracket - 4

Wheels - 9.7

Wheel nuts - 2?*

Tow hook - 3

155.5 :)

All weights from Dali, SOS and Prime except where noted.

3010 - 155.50 = 2854.5 lbs with a full tank, but I am always at most running with a 1/4 as I don't let it linger too much! So according to calculations found on Prime that would be about 100lbs full so -75 at 1/4.

2779.5 with a quarter of tank of petrol!

Sudesh
25-03-2008, 09:15 PM
When you say spare wheel and bracket, do you mean just the small bracket that hold the wheel on the spare's tray? or everything?

I always though about the resonator, What does the NSX sound like with the resonator removed? I done this on my 4.6is X5 and it sounded amazing!!! plus I had no issues with warning lights or MOT!!

Senninha
25-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Paul, I'm surprise the engine cover is nearly 2 stones! It feels much lighter to me? Must reduce my gym attendance! :eek:

Remember mine is a targa so the engine cover is effectively 2 covers to allow for carrying the roof panel.

Britlude wrote: swap the B-post covers to c/f as the originals are a heavy aluminium casting! another source of weight loss!

Tempting but on their own I think they look out of place. If I could get the whole top in CF I might chnge my mind :)

regards, Paul

britlude
25-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Tempting but on their own I think they look out of place. If I could get the whole top in CF I might chnge my mind :)

regards, Paul

nothing to stop you painting them black, as it's the weight loss you are after, not the bling!

BabyG
25-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I recently took out the CD player, replaced it with an iPod adapter in the boot that makes ipod playlists play like CDs through the standard head unit. Better music, less weight. Perfick.

(oh, and more boot space too).

AR
30-03-2008, 11:00 PM
So far I have removed the following OEM parts:

OEM Front foglights, brackets and switch - 5*

Toolkit - 15

SRS Steering wheel replaced with Momo and Alloy mount - 7
Cats with test pipes - 16.4

Manifolds with headers - 12.6

Ti exhaust - 31

Spare wheel and bracket - 32.4

Engine cover - 15

Resonator rear section and bracket - .4?*

OEM Cd changer with bracket for Alpine with custom bracket - 4

Wheels - 9.7

Wheel nuts - 2?*

Tow hook - 3

155.5 :)

All weights from Dali, SOS and Prime except where noted.

3010 - 155.50 = 2854.5 lbs with a full tank, but I am always at most running with a 1/4 as I don't let it linger too much! So according to calculations found on Prime that would be about 100lbs full so -75 at 1/4.

2779.5 with a quarter of tank of petrol!

Engine bay fan - 2.10

Now at 2777.4 :)

AR
10-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Just added a 5 lbs NSX-R wing copy so probably another 5 pounds of the car. :)

TheSebringOne
10-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Ary, without sounding dumb! What exactly is a wing copy?

Senninha
10-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Ary, without sounding dumb! What exactly is a wing copy?

I'm guessing that would be a replica NSX-R rear wing in CF. If its got the dark tint that should look good with the black roof.

AR
10-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Sorry mate I was typing too fast.

Here is a preview for now.

Cheers,

AR

TheSebringOne
11-06-2008, 10:30 PM
It looks well speedy typists since Sebring silver is not a million miles from white! Type R ish. Whats the CF weave like, any close up shots Ary? Have you a full on side shot for me to appreciate more? :)

AR
12-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Here we go:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/AR94NSX-R/For%20Sale%20Pictures/CF%20Wing/NSX-RWingwingangle.jpg

A little bit closer:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/AR94NSX-R/For%20Sale%20Pictures/CF%20Wing/PICT0739.jpg

Closer:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/AR94NSX-R/For%20Sale%20Pictures/CF%20Wing/PICT0736.jpg

Cheers,

Ary

Lankstarr
12-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Nice weave and you've got the breaklight in there as well :O)

Performed some weight reduction of my own today by driving kamikazi:eek:

dan the man
12-06-2008, 05:21 PM
pics dont do justice. In the flesh awesome :)

amo
13-06-2008, 08:06 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
nice lets have it off you mate and you can buy yourself another lol

thx amo

TheSebringOne
13-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Nice weave, anymore excess weight you plan to shed on the car? Will you save much if changing to a 02+ front? Ie No headlamp motors etc.

AR
15-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Nice weave, anymore excess weight you plan to shed on the car? Will you save much if changing to a 02+ front? Ie No headlamp motors etc.

I am hoping to do the 02 in the future, still unsure how I'll go about it.

Seat are out of the question as I do like to drive it and race seats( regardless of what everyone tells you ) are not for everyone, even NSX-R ones. The only seats that are comfy weight just as much as my OEM. So until I find a comfy, light, not too expensive and that fits in the car seat, I'll stay OEM. :)

Cheers,

Ary

jaytip
15-06-2008, 01:12 PM
I am hoping to do the 02 in the future, still unsure how I'll go about it.

Ary,don't copy a 02+,buy one.MINE :D

AR
15-06-2008, 01:29 PM
I know it makes sense! But I am a sucker for thinkering with things. :)

AR
20-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Just added a 5 lbs NSX-R wing copy so probably another 5 pounds of the car. :)

Normal wing back up but IPOD replaced CD changer, so things are even! :)

Sudesh
20-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm just wondering how you guys go about weighing the car? I know there is certin places over there you can go too to do this, but here in Ireland its quite limited. My car has dropped quite a bit of weight over the past few months and would love to get it weighed.

AR
20-06-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm just wondering how you guys go about weighing the car? I know there is certin places over there you can go too to do this, but here in Ireland its quite limited. My car has dropped quite a bit of weight over the past few months and would love to get it weighed.

Go over to the weight reduction thread on Prime that has all the figures, deduct from OEM weight and voila!

Sudesh
20-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks AR, just had a look, but there are items I have removed that are not on the list!! so wondering whats the best way to go about it.

AR
20-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks AR, just had a look, but there are items I have removed that are not on the list!! so wondering whats the best way to go about it.

Without sounding like a smart a$$, how about weighting the items?

BTW OEM Foglights are 2.4 KG a pair.

Sudesh
20-06-2008, 08:28 PM

Most of the items are long gone AR, and I dont have all the weights recorded.

AR
20-06-2008, 08:39 PM
What items in particular mate?

Cheers,

Ary

Sudesh
20-06-2008, 09:58 PM
What items in particular mate?

Cheers,

Ary

Ok,
No power steering,
Spare Wheel,
Smaller battery,
No Crusie control including the motor and electrics
No Airbags and originals steering wheel removed
OEM Air box and filter removed
Fog lights removed
CD Changer brackets and complete loom from stereo to changer
All the original sound system
Original electric aerial and secondary aerial
Spare Wheel and bracket, tool kit etc
Engine bay fan bolts and brackets
Origainl gear shift, boot and knob

As my car is JDM,

lighter Bumpers and no under sealing should make it a bit lighter!

Hopefully next will be a saving on the cats!!

Sudesh
20-06-2008, 10:11 PM
There are some more items, Its just going through my paperwork to see what is what.

AR
06-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Was at 2777.4

Here are some more reductions. Weights are based on empirical data and NSX Prime's members experiences.

Sold the Ti Exhaust and test pipes and installed a GruppeM V3 + 10

Replaced rear Steel Beam with Aluminium - 10 lbs

O2 RGT Conversion - 45 +

Seats -15

Bose speakers and Stereo replaced with 6.5s and MP3 player - 5

Now approximately at 2712.4

Cheers,

AR

AR
09-01-2009, 02:30 AM
Sudesh any idea how much the Cruise Control motor under the bonnet weights?

Cheers,

AR

markc
09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Go over to the weight reduction thread on Prime that has all the figures, deduct from OEM weight and voila!

Cheers,

AR

Interesting thread chaps :)

While the theory of deducting the weight of individual items from the manufacturers original specification (for weight) is sound, it'd be useful to know if it stands up to empirical measurement. If you get a chance, pop down to your local public weighbridge facility and have your cars weighed.

I typed "public weighbridge in surrey" into google to find my local facility. Cost for me would be £6.66 for a single weigh at Guildford. I think I'll make the trip when (if) the weather clears up and I break the NSX out of winter hibernation.

For the sake of consistancy we should all brim our fuel tanks on the way to the weighbridge.

If the wheel alignment day with Wheels InMotion comes off, we may get a good set of figures from thier proper vehicle scales for comparison purposes.

Cheers

Mark

AR
09-01-2009, 11:55 AM

If the wheel alignment day with Wheels InMotion comes off, we may get a good set of figures from thier proper vehicle scales for comparison purposes.

Cheers

Mark

Mark fantastic suggestion, that weight we can compare, all different NSX models.

Cheers,

AR

Sudesh
09-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Cheers,

AR

Ary the complete crusie motor with the mounting bracket and all the bolts is around 2kg.

Sudesh
09-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know what the correct weights are of the:

NA1 NSX-R
NA2 NSX-R
NSX Type-S
NSX Type-S Zero

AR
09-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Ary the complete crusie motor with the mounting bracket and all the bolts is around 2kg.

Thanks Sudesh for the info.

New approximate car weight:

That is with AC and mp3 stereo.

Cheers,

AR

Silver Surfer
09-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Is that the same weight as the Evora?

SS

NoelWatson
09-01-2009, 03:28 PM

While the theory of deducting the weight of individual items from the manufacturers original specification (for weight) is sound, it'd be useful to know if it stands up to empirical measurement. If you get a chance, pop down to your local public weighbridge facility and have your cars weighed.

I typed "public weighbridge in surrey" into google to find my local facility. Cost for me would be £6.66 for a single weigh at Guildford. I think I'll make the trip when (if) the weather clears up and I break the NSX out of winter hibernation.

For the sake of consistancy we should all brim our fuel tanks on the way to the weighbridge.

Cheers

Mark

Let me know if you fancy meeting at the weighbridge. I will be coming from Weybridge (snigger). My car doesn't hibernate so can make it any time. My car will be a slightly different weight from TDI as I have fitted the new exhaust and intake.

NoelWatson
09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Is that the same weight as the Evora?

SS

Something strange going on there.They are claiming 5.5 to 60 and 160 top end from 276bhp. I would've expected it to be quciker than that

Sudesh
09-01-2009, 03:50 PM
No problem Ary!

Your obviously counting in lbs? If so at the moment your just below NSX-R weight from what I read.

NA1: NSX-R = 1,230 kg (2,712 lb).
ARY: NSX = 1,229 kg (2708 lb)

AR
09-01-2009, 05:36 PM
No problem Ary!

Your obviously counting in lbs? If so at the moment your just below NSX-R weight from what I read.

NA1: NSX-R = 1,230 kg (2,712 lb).
ARY: NSX = 1,229 kg (2708 lb)

But I still got AC and stereo. :)

Sudesh
09-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Noticed that!!

Do you still have the OEM seats?

EDIT: JUST NOTICED YOU HAVE SEATS LISTED.

TheSebringOne
09-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Congrats Ary! Was that your intended target? :beer:

AR
09-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Congrats Ary! Was that your intended target? :beer:

Cheers mate, I am hoping to get a lexan rear hatch in the future and other than that there is not much else I would like to remove, for now. :)

AR

TheSebringOne
09-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Ary, strangely I personally find 1231.18 kg sounds even better! :)

AR
09-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Ary, strangely I personally find 1231.18 kg sounds even better! :)

More like 1228.599 :)

KG to LBS Converter

To convert Kg to Lbs or Lbs to Kg enter weight in the calculator. The result of the conversion will appear immediately. Enjoy!
Input kg: Input lbs:

Formula

1 lbs = 0.453592 kg
1 kg = 2.204623 lbs

Taken from: http://www.kgtolbs.com/

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
09-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Ary,

I'm sure I could identify a few extra kg's you could loose ..... they're usually behind the 5th wheel ;):laugh:

Of course you do realise that unless you strip it completely, you will be adding weight again when you paint it the right color ....

Catch up Soon Buddy

regards, Paul

Cheers mate, I am hoping to get a lexan rear hatch in the future and other than that there is not much else I would like to remove, for now. :)

AR

AR
09-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Ary,

I'm sure I could identify a few extra kg's you could loose ..... they're usually behind the 5th wheel ;):laugh:

Of course you do realise that unless you strip it completely, you will be adding weight again when you paint it the right color ....

Catch up Soon Buddy

regards, Paul

Paul,

Working on that mate, is one of my New Year Resolutions. :)

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Paul,

Working on that mate, is one of my New Year Resolutions. :)

Cheers,

AR

Me too, kicked it off this week and down 3lb :)

Maybe we should have an NSX drivers weight reduction thread :laugh:

regards and good luck, Paul

TheSebringOne
10-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Paul, I'm up for this idea!! Although how do we keep tabs on this NSX driver's weight watchers programme! :D

Sorry Ary, I was a bit lazy using the simple 2.2 conversion!

Sudesh
23-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Well finally got around to weighing my NSX.

Weighed in at 1290kg

Thats with half a tank of fuel and still had the tool kit and few item in the glove box and brief case in the boot.

markc
23-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Well finally got around to weighing my NSX.

Weighed in at 1290kg

Thats with half a tank of fuel and still had the tool kit and few item in the glove box and brief case in the boot.

Good stuff Sudesh :) Did you go to your local council weigh bridge or use something more complicated?

Have you worked out how that empirical measurement compares to the calculated weight i.e. published vehicle weight - (minus) weight of items removed? It'll be interesting to see if these two figures tally.

Cheers

Mark

Sudesh
23-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Good stuff Sudesh :) Did you go to your local council weigh bridge or use something more complicated?

Have you worked out how that empirical measurement compares to the calculated weight i.e. published vehicle weight - (minus) weight of items removed? It'll be interesting to see if these two figures tally.

Cheers

Mark

Mark a friend of mine is in the Haulage business and they have a weigh bridge on site so I nipped in there earlier and had it weighed.

I havent done any comparsions on publised weight minus the item removed. I didnt get round to weighing all the items removed before I sold them so no sure how to go about doing that.

Sudesh
24-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Done some more weight reduction!!

The sound proofing on the rear bulk head, the floor sound proofing and going to do the boot today [thanks for the tip Ary]

The sound proofing on the bulk head weighed in around 5.6kg/5.7kg,
The drivers and passanger side floor weighed in around 1.3kg

I'll get the boot weighed later today.....