PDA

View Full Version : Can the power be raised on a 3.2 without too much expense ?

VXR SIX
31-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Anyone done this at all?

Kevin
31-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Nothing is cheap on an NSX. How much power do you want, and what do you want to do with the car?

ctrlaltdelboy
31-03-2005, 04:41 PM
your ability to add big power to a 3.2 is restricted by the ODBII engine management system which is not as flexible with regard to interfacing with aftermarket systems as the ODBI system used on the earlier 3.0 versions.

apart from anything that involves engine management tweaks you are free to utilise the usual things like exhuast, cats, headers etc. headers will not make the big leap in power on a 3.2 as they do on a 3.0 as the 3.2 already has good exhaust manifolds as standard. intakes do not make any real gains.

VXR SIX
01-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Nothing is cheap on an NSX. How much power do you want, and what do you want to do with the car?

Make it a quicker! I am used to very powerful cars and if I get an NSX I just know I will want a little more 'GO'!

Say, to take it from 280bhp to about 330bhp ?

A full, manifold-back sports exhaust, getting rid of the cats. altogether, an aftermarket airfilter and using high-octane fuel will probably release most of that ?

ctrlaltdelboy
01-04-2005, 10:04 AM
using high octane fuel in itself will not give more power, however it will allow you to alter the timing and tuning of the engine to generate more power with reduced risk of detonation. your ability to tune the engine in this way is still hampered by the inflexibility of the OBDII system in the 3.2 model though.

be careful with de-cats - I found with mine that although they did release a surprising amount more power, the extra noise (103db) meant that I could not get it onto any UK circuits to play with - I have now put hi flow cats (http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1113) in which are a happy medium between power and noise (98-99db)