PDA

View Full Version : NEWCOMER, trying to decide about buying a Honda NSX !

VXR SIX
31-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Thinking of buying one of these cars and would appreciate any input about them.
I see that they are listed as having 276 bhp, which seems rather low to what I am used to, yet the performance figures are rather good.
As the Americans might say, What gives? If the car has only 276 bhp, barely out of hot-hatch territiory, how does it go so quickly (going by the claimed figures)?
They also are quite low on torque, at a claimed 220 ft/lbs, so does this mean that you have to rev. them high the whole time to get anywhere?

The prices I am getting quoted are certainly not cheap, in fact a lot more than the competition, so I am really in 2 minds about these cars.

Any thoughts about the NSX, as far as value and performance goes?

Thanks.

Kevin
31-03-2005, 04:28 PM
First of all, why do they go so quick? Especially with 280bhp?

First of all its a combination of power at the wheels, and weight. 280bhp is one thing, but it's power at the wheels that matters. With a high revving engine (upto 8000rpm), and a torque curve that is pretty flat, with max torque at the top end of the rev range, means the gearing can allow plenty of power to be put down the wheels.

Actually the 0-60 time is not that impressive (5.5secs), because 2nd gear will allow 83mph, the 0-80 time is pretty good. Dropping the gearbox into 2nd at 50mph to overtake something and the acceleration really picks up.

The torque curve is fairly flat, power is pretty usable throughout the range, unlike the smaller Honda's, but the engine sounds so good at 6-8000rpm you will want to keep it there anyway.

What sets this car apart from others, is the USABLE performance. The car is easy to drive at quick speeds, and does not have the tricky handling of other cars such as older 911s, TVRs and such.

trackdemon
31-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Hi VXR,

I'll start by congratulating you on your (potential) choice of car - the NSX is all its cracked up to be and more (but then I would say that). Its fairly common knowledge I think that most of the *** cars from that era which were quoted at 276bhp normally deliver a bit more - I'd expect the NSX to be nearer 300bhp+. As it goes, performance (or potential lack thereof) was my main concern with the NSX when I was thinking of buying as I was coming from a very rapid 4.3 TVR. Well you can argue the semantics of power, torque and bhp per ton all day long but what really matters is "is it fast?" - emphatically it is. I lined up against a twin turbo Supra at a recent event and comprehensively destoyed it on acceleration, cornering speed and top speed through the traps - 158mph (indicating just over 160) and accelerating but we ran out of runway. (Incidentally the event - known as VMAX - will be on 5th gear April the 11th). Against a Ferrari 360 for example I only really lost out significantly after 140mph.

I've driven an S2000 & CTR and was frustrated by their utter lack of mid range and frenzied top-end delivery; the NSX is quite different - decent torque in the mid range and a linear power delivery builds progressively with a distinct kick at 6500rpm round to 8000rpm. A very quick hot hatches would stay with you during the initial phase of the rev band, and would then have to change gear at which point you are just getting into the meat of the power curve and disappearing up the road.

The thing about the NSX though is the whole driving experience - the chassis balance is sublime, the drivetrain is lovely to use, the driving position is perfect, the sound is wonderful. You don't buy an NSX just for its performance; my old TVR was quicker up to 100mph but wouldn't see which way the NSX went on a typical b or a road. I can't think of any competition that's cheaper? A Skyline doesn't have the looks, a 348 is more expensive fragile and doesn't handle as well, an Esprit is nothing like as useable and has "interesting" reliability characteristics, a 993 is much more expensive to run and isn't "different" like an NSX; and none of them are as well built (OK the Porsche is close). In fact nothing has the blend of looks, performance & useability of the NSX for the at the price.

Sounds to me like you need to go look at & drive one to be convinced.

cheers,
Steve

AnArtist
31-03-2005, 05:00 PM
I am not an owner "Yet" but I was thinking similar thoughts to VXR, concerning the supposed lack of acceleration, especially the Auto in my case! But I came to terms along time ago if you want a '0-60 dragster' buy a '0-60 dragster'.
I want the absolute best of all worlds speed, handling, reliability etc... NSX seems to cover the lot.

I really must try and get my hands on one or two! Not many dealers Oop Nerth!!

VXR SIX
31-03-2005, 06:37 PM
As some may have guessed, I run a Vauxhall Monaro, a 5.7 at present, being upgraded to a 6.0 VXR model in 3 weeks' time.

But I want a 2-seater sports car for those sunny days, too.

It is just a pity that I cannot find what I call a 'facelift NSX' at a sensible price, the dealers wanting 50 Grand for a used one.
Hmmm...

glenlewis
31-03-2005, 10:15 PM
I was a Skyline and 300zx twin turbo owner and I do miss that kick of turbo chargers.. I cant use the VTEC much as I live on the isle of wight .. it would be in the sea by the time VTEC activates. So I use my car to potter around in basically. I cant tell you exactly why I love it, it certainly isnt as brutal and the GTR and I miss that, but I dont think there is any car as *bang on* to drive as an NSX.
I wouldnt have an auto or ttop, not out of disrespect of those variants, but because the manual non t-top is as close to perfect as it is possible for a car to be.
I am also a big fan of HSV cars too, I'd love a supercharged GTS :)

FishMan
31-03-2005, 11:01 PM
VXR SIX,

Simple, just take one for a test drive and let us know how you get on.
The NSX covers many requirements for car enthusiasts. The amount of interest and respect in the car never seems to dwindle.

Glenlewis......can't wait to get over to the iow for a spin on the Military Road again. Don't worry about dropping it in the sea, it wont rust!

VXR SIX
01-04-2005, 06:23 AM
I was rather hoping that used values would be much lower, as the car has been around so long now, with very few real changes. 'Old Hat' is probably a bit strong, but is how one magazine described it recently, enticing me into looking at a possible purchase.

My problem is this. A mile from me, a guy has a 2003, (53), TVR T350T, with a mere 3200 miles covered only. Several upgrades, such as 6-changer CD, better spec. seats and extra speakers are included. 350bhp/290ft lbs from a gem of a straight six engine, which will take the car to 60 in 4.4 seconds and then on to 185 mph, the 100 mph mark coming up 3 seconds ahead of the Honda. Supercar performance for the price of a Jaguar X-Type !!!
£31K ono!
(Not as well made as the Honda, I realise).

Anyway I am driving an NSX today, a 2003 model up for £46,950. Blue and as new. 9000 miles.

trackdemon
01-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Said magazine actually used my car for that test (I presume you mean the £20k test in EVO) - believe me, they don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. I'd take the content with a pinch of salt. Bear in mind they used my car just before it was serviced and given fresh new tyres, additionally as a '94 45k miler it obviously won't drive quite as well as a '00 3.2 6 speed.

Re the T350 comparison - I literally don't know ANYONE who hasn't had some kind of problem with the speed six engine - all that power does seem to come at a cost, hence the horrific depreciation. Ones I know of:

Tuscan - 2xrebuild
Tamora - Top end rebuild
Tamora - 2x top end / valve guides
Tuscan - head gasket
T350 - Rebuild

Not a pretty sight, which is a shame as they are great to drive.

BTW, sounds like the car your going to look at could be "Welshmans" old car.

MattS
01-04-2005, 11:12 AM
With regard to the quoted 276BHP - this was a limit that all Japanese manufacturers were supposed to stick to. Some called it a 'Gentleman's agreement' with the Japanese government and was for safety reasons etc... It's widely known however that Skylines, NSX's etc produced quite a bit more power than this, but the companies still quoted 276BHP. I've heard it said by those that know that the 3.2 manual NSX produces 320BHP or thereabouts.

Autocar gives a 0-60 time of 4.9s, Evo 5.5s and Top Gear 5.7s for the manual car.

The car is very lightweight for such a big well-built car (all aluminium) and few motors rev so highly - as someone said, 83mph for the 5 spd car before having to change into 3rd!

I accelerated alongside a 911 turbo (early 90's) last week as an experiment and my 3.2 manual NSX had no trouble matching its pace. I was as surprised as he was! Straight line pace is something you shouldn't be concerned about.

The NSX is more about useable power though (much in the vein same as the 911) and few cars save Imprezas and Evos will come close in this respect.

The NSX is also a lot rarer, hopefully cheaper to fix and better built than most of its rivals. It's a car for those in the know!!!

mcibuk
01-04-2005, 04:41 PM
What struck me 14 years ago when i first trialled an NSX was how easy it was to drive fast, in wet weather conditions that would have made me terrified in my then TVR sports car. The TVR had graet thrills but there were times that the car would aquaplane at ease in a straight line or spin on exits to roundabouts if you weren't absolutely precise. The NSX's chassis, engine traction control takes care of all that and it leaves you to enjoy driving at speed with SAFETY assured (almost i guess!).
I've driven in much faster cars such as Ferrari 550 but it's the NSX that makes me smile all the time - my wife doesn't seem as scared either with all the electronic protection to correct my shortcomings!
I hope you make the right choice!

glenlewis
01-04-2005, 06:19 PM
TreVoRs blow up with monotous regularity.
Hondas dont.

Sagacitas
01-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Anyone compared an NSX to a Porsche 928? I have not driven either of them yet but they are on my shortlist of cars to graduate to.

jaytip
01-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Anyone compared an NSX to a Porsche 928? I have not driven either of them yet but they are on my shortlist of cars to graduate to.
i think that is an unusual comparison to make.one is a GT car,the other is a sports car.i think the NSX/348/355 comparison is more realistic.
having said that there could well be members on this board who have owned both and could give their opinions.
i think i read once that the 928 is renowned for electrical problems though.

slieve_croob
01-04-2005, 09:20 PM
I am the owner of ::

a NSX 92 32k miles manual with Tubi exhaust, de_cated
and a 92 928GT manual 72k
and a 92 Honda Beat 660cc 22k
all serviced by main Dealers from new.

Driving these cars is like comparing quality fine French food (NSX) delicate on the palate, and on the othr hand Hungarian Goulash (928) tastes great when you are ravishing with hunger and you wish to pile in the calories and clolestrol. A Honda Beat 660cc is like a aparitif or liquer.

All have their merits, top gear torque(928) at 1000 rpm, fail safe handling, lots of aspects quite good, not startling in any one manner, but an enjoyable conbination at one tier removed from the top. A good runner up GT Style

NSX pirouetes like a skate dancer, drives easy or flat out with commesurate ease, much more focused and thoroughbred.

The Honda Beat 660 cc, no power in real terms, but fine handling and full marks for willingness and endeavour despite bhp deficit, having aleady driven 300bhp plus cars. Brings you back to basics, where with a limited power quotient, you must maximise your driving acumen.

In short, horses for courses, but having all three is an absolute delightful cocktail.

Just reminds you that while there can always be a best car, this is related to the criteria of judgement. Variety is the spice of life, and so some of us , if honest, enjoy the odd extra-martial affair if available, or a permanent mistress if affordable, by discresion or otherwise.

By driving one, you can really appreciate the other. The cycle never stops.

In the end NSX my favourite, if I am allowed to say this.

VXR SIX
02-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks for your time guys, but I am out of here now.

Yes, I liked the Honda, but at £47K and no chance of any movement on that price just too expensive, for the relatively old technology you are getting.

I don't expect that any of you will agree, but I want more go for that sort of money. It feels like a little engine, albeit a sweet one and at nearly 50 grand for a 2 year-old car, I expect more. Hell, I can get a tidy Ferarri for that money!

Anyways, one day, who knows, but for now I have bought a TVR T350T, mint condition, 3200 miles, with several upgrades, for £30,000. A saving of £13000 on the list price.

350bhp and 290 ft lbs, massive acceleration and the main depreciation has already happened.

Hope it don't let me down too often ! (Warranty for another year).

VXR SIX
02-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Before I go, I drove the TVR this morning. JEEZ!

1100kg only, but 350 bhp, means that this thing goes like a friggin' rocket, certainly quicker than my Monaro 5.7 and probably quicker than the forthcoming 6.0 version, too.

A little raw, but boy, what a ride!

Welshman
02-04-2005, 09:00 AM
Hi VXR,

I'll start by congratulating you on your (potential) choice of car - the NSX is all its cracked up to be and more (but then I would say that). Its fairly common knowledge I think that most of the japanese cars from that era which were quoted at 276bhp normally deliver a bit more - I'd expect the NSX to be nearer 300bhp+.

Ivan at Chiswick Honda reckons about 315-320 at the flywheel.

The thing about the NSX though is the whole driving experience - the chassis balance is sublime, the drivetrain is lovely to use, the driving position is perfect, the sound is wonderful. You don't buy an NSX just for its performance; my old TVR was quicker up to 100mph but wouldn't see which way the NSX went on a typical b or a road. I can't think of any competition that's cheaper? A Skyline doesn't have the looks, a 348 is more expensive fragile and doesn't handle as well, an Esprit is nothing like as useable and has "interesting" reliability characteristics, a 993 is much more expensive to run and isn't "different" like an NSX; and none of them are as well built (OK the Porsche is close). In fact nothing has the blend of looks, performance & useability of the NSX for the at the price.

I'm not sure that a 993 is more expensive to run but you can say that the NSX is certainly not expensive to run. My first annual service cost a whopping £65 including VAT!!!!!

Steve

Welshman
02-04-2005, 09:05 AM
BTW, sounds like the car your going to look at could be "Welshmans" old car.

Not mine as it's only got 3.8k on the clock.

Sagacitas
02-04-2005, 10:53 AM
i think that is an unusual comparison to make.one is a GT car,the other is a sports car.i think the NSX/348/355 comparison is more realistic.

It does seem like a comparison that nobody else makes. I am looking for a rare car (so no 911s) that handles well and looks special. From what I have read both the NSX and the 928 fit the bill.

I am hoping to take a test drive in each in the next couple of months - still trying to convince the wife that this isn't a mid-age crisis thing. 8)

Richard

Sagacitas
02-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Driving these cars is like comparing quality fine French food (NSX) delicate on the palate, and on the othr hand Hungarian Goulash (928) tastes great when you are ravishing with hunger and you wish to pile in the calories and clolestrol. A Honda Beat 660cc is like a aparitif or liquer.

All have their merits, top gear torque(928) at 1000 rpm, fail safe handling, lots of aspects quite good, not startling in any one manner, but an enjoyable conbination at one tier removed from the top. A good runner up GT Style

NSX pirouetes like a skate dancer, drives easy or flat out with commesurate ease, much more focused and thoroughbred.

Thank you for posting this. Just what I have been looking for.

You say that the 928 is a good runner up GT Style. Runner up to which car?

Richard

slieve_croob
02-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Sagacitas

If your agenda is a 300bhp car, then the Porsche 928GT is runner up to the NSX.

However if budget is your criteria, the 928 is valued at approx 50% of the equivalent NSX.

Value for each pound spent, there is not much difference.

Where Cost is not an issue, NSX king of the bunch.

For fun on a shoestring budget, Beat is best value takeaway.

Set your criteria, and then pull the lever

glenlewis
02-04-2005, 11:58 PM
http://www.fotosite.nl/cars/image%2dcache/TVR/tvr%5ft350t%2d5%5fdisp512.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/522/3736ginak-med.jpg

Happy motoring mate.

jaytip
03-04-2005, 03:53 AM
http://www.fotosite.nl/cars/image%2dcache/TVR/tvr%5ft350t%2d5%5fdisp512.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/522/3736ginak-med.jpg

Happy motoring mate.
nice one :lol:

AR
03-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Horses for courses.

I had the chance to acquire a real nice FMBSH e 55AMG for 5 grand less than the market value, but I am holding for the NSX :D

Welshman
04-04-2005, 10:16 AM

It does seem like a comparison that nobody else makes. I am looking for a rare car (so no 911s) that handles well and looks special. From what I have read both the NSX and the 928 fit the bill.

I am hoping to take a test drive in each in the next couple of months - still trying to convince the wife that this isn't a mid-age crisis thing. 8)

Richard

Points.

1. 928 is a GT car but I test drove one once and the tyre noise was such that you wouldn't want to drive it any distance, so I thought it missed the point.

2. What's wrong with a mid-life crisis :?: This is not a dress rehearsal and do you want to be the richest bloke in the graveyard :roll: