PDA

View Full Version : The CLUTCH thread!

trackdemon
31-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Rather than waiting for it to lunch itself entirely (reaches out to touch wood) I thought it'd be a good idea to try and garner some knowledge from you guys (and gals).

My clutch is moving slowly towards the end of its life so its time for me to start the search for a good garage to fit it, and recommendations on which kit to use. There seems to be a lot of suggestion that performance clutches from the States or Japan can be had for less than OEM parts, failing which OEM clutch kits can be imported for well under HUK prices.

Secondly it sounds like some people have been getting good deals for fitted clutches with some dealers - any advice on who to go to? Will they be happy to fit if I supply the part (non OEM or otherwise)?

thanks in advance!
Steve

Kevin
31-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Norton Way Honda fitted my SPEC clutch. There was a problem with the clutch after fitting, purely due the clutch, not the fitting of it.

trackdemon
06-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Not much experience with getting clutches replaced chaps?

BabyNSX
16-04-2005, 10:24 AM
http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385

UltraViolet
17-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Steve,

I replaced my clutch last October, but was done OEM.

Two Mills did me the clutch, service, MOT, valve clearances total bill £1,488

The car drives wonderfully and the ticketty noise and vibration is no more.

jaytip
18-04-2005, 04:42 PM
is that in cluding the cost of the clutch as well? if so,that is a really good price.

UltraViolet
19-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Yes it was. They do give Revs discount though and I was clutching my card.
I got a price from Jakan as well.
Two Mills are very good on the customer service too - not exactly local to me, but worth travelling to go somewhere where you get good service and you trust they will do a good job.

glenlewis
21-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Bristol Honda did mine and I thank the Lord I didnt pay for it, thought the job was done good..

Glen.

Flinty
19-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi Trackdemon.

Did you get your clutch done in the end ? What did you go for OEM or other more competitive option ?

Mine (First replacement at 48k) has pretty much hit the end of it's life after a paltry 18k miles. Have rung a few Honda dealers and quotes of between £1,400 and £1,600 all in.
Painful...... :roll:

Flinty
07-06-2005, 06:27 PM
The thread seems to have died.... but in case of interest:

Newly fitted complete Clutch, £1,460 all in at Lindhill Colchester.

Collection and Delivery from Lindhill. General customer service very good (apart from delay due to technicians breaking the rear n/s Stabiliser End Bar during clutch dismantling, which could have been a problem. New part from Japan takes a month :shock: . They sourced a 2nd hand part within two days, to assist). £100 Servicing Credit Note for the inconvenience.

Hope this is of assistance to anyone.

PS. Anyone up for a country lane drive/pub lunch soon?
Need to try out some hard upchanges and standing starts without the irritation of clutch release bearing 'chirping' :D

Minch
07-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Ooooo . . . . does this mean that your NSX is ready to be viewed Jeremy? I'm still looking for the right one.

PS . . . the Hatton fight was fantastic!

Flinty
09-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Hi Nathan

Yep, indeed - i will be in Bucks Saturday afternoon pending gliding in Dunstable in the evening. If you are around early afternoon, possible drive past ?

Clutch is much easier and the engine sounds just fantastic after having valve clearances adjusted. My other half drove home last night and gave me the opportunity to hear/see it go from the outside. Marvellous :D

PM me that's any good and we can arrange time/venue.

Cheers

Flinty

trackdemon
09-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi Flinty,

Sorry I didn't get back to your previous post - missed it. Turns out there's nothing wrong with my clutch - and the apparent gearbox issue seems to have cleared itself up, which is nice ;)

I'm driving over to Supertyres @ Maldon on Saturday for alignment check - would up for a little drive late morning if your interested. Will be heading back towards Laindon.

cheers,
Steve

Flinty
09-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Hi Steve, that's a result. Saves you a few quid !

Saturday's probably out as i have a couple of commitments, but thanks for the offer. Definitely up for a drive in the coming weeks - just give me a shout. (May be in a newer 3.2 if sale of current car is successful, fingers crossed).

Catcha soon 8)

wgmr
20-07-2005, 12:19 PM
all very interesting. I too am just about to replace my clutch and the cost of around £1500 seems about right.

I note that the Honda unit is a complete clutch kit rather than just new plates, is this the same of the cheaper alternatives?

I am after a recommendation that will improve or keep the saleability of my car. But I don't want a racing clutch as I will only be doing road riving.

SO what is the SPEC clutch? Any one got any ideas where I can find info on what part to fit, this is all a bit confusing for a newbie!

Thanks

Will

Kevin
20-07-2005, 06:07 PM
The SPEC clutch is one made by a company in the States. It will need to be bought from one of the vendors over there, unless someone here sells them.

Some of the parts on this clutch as with most aftermarket ones will use reconditioned used parts.

If you're not racing, I'd stick with a new Honda clutch. It will be all new, fitted and warrantied by your Honda dealer.

I wanted a lightweight flywheel for mine. As the Honda clutch kit includes flywheel, mid and cover plate, it wouldn't be sensible to buy all that, and a new flywheel. Hence the reason for going aftermarket.

Greybloke
12-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Just had new clutch fitted, by dealer, whilst gearbox was out for synchro work under warranty :lol: Good way to save some cash me thinks.

Cant believe how better the clutch now feels. Lighter, more positive.