PDA

View Full Version : Cat D lowered

markdas
10-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Would the fact that a 1999 car has a CAT D against it and has been lowered, scare you guys, even at the right price? What is CAT D, is that light repairable damage that has been inspected and approved by VOSA? Do these things need lowering and if so does it mess up the camber adjustments?

AR
10-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Light damage, sure! :rolleyes:

markdas
10-03-2008, 01:17 PM
My thoughts too, how can this be checked, I guess an insurance assessor checks any major insurance claim, but I am not sure how they verify the work?
Its on Auto Trader, looked a great car T top, 3.2 with 6 speed 1999 but the engine bay looks tatty and neglected, its been lowered, non OEM exhaust and there is the CatD issue? 22995 is a good price unless its rubbish?

Also noticed that the strut brace across the engine changes on the later cars to more of a latice type, or is this to stiffen the T tops only???

Thanks

Papalazarou
10-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I enquired about this car last year. It used to belong to an NSXCB member, not sure if it still does. As you have probably read, 'a' previous owner span the car and hit both the nose and the tail. The car's also had a new gearbox because the original one was cracked. This may have happened during the accident, maybe not. On the plus side it would appear that the non oem wheels were on the car pre accident and look undamaged so perhaps the prang wasn't that severe.

Unfortunately I guess you'll never know unless you can get the previous owners details and give him a call.

Cheers,

James.

markdas
10-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Its a pity, I love that midnight purple and of course the 3.2 engine and 6 speed is appealing....but I guess if I can find a well looked after, non accident damaged one, its going to worry me less at night how its been thrashed up to now!

There is another 3.2 manual on Autotrader in Orange, also Cat D....

jaytip
10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Ask the guy if he is willing to let the car be looked at by a competent bodyshop to see if the repairs are up to a good standard.If you want to buy the car as a keeper and not look at the possible hassle come resale time then it may not be a bad investment.

markdas
10-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Its a good point. Being a few hundred miles away doesn't help, but this is a big purchase. I guess the asking price of 22995 is reasonable based on the history and condition?

markdas
10-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Why are some rocker covers red and others black?

What happened between 1995-1997 for some guys here to say that the earlier cars and the later cars are more desirable?

Thanks

jaytip
10-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Black rocker covers are for 3.0L cars,red for 3.2L
95 and 96 are considered less desirable by some because they are heavier due to the extra bracing in them because of the targa that came out in 95,plus they have PAS which is considered less desirable.HOWEVER,the 96 cars are fitted with Japanese gearing which makes them accelerate slightly faster,therby (IMO) cancelling out the extra weight.

simonprelude
10-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Then in 1997 the 3.2 and 6 speed box came along which is why those 2 years are quite important.

TheQuietOne
10-03-2008, 02:54 PM
[quote=markdas;here is another 3.2 manual on Autotrader in Orange, also Cat D....[/quote]

That car was once driven by a lunatic in the Welsh valleys, with a mysterious past if rumours are to be believed - well that's what James told me anyway...:D

AR
10-03-2008, 03:16 PM
HOWEVER,the 96 cars are fitted with Japanese gearing which makes them accelerate slightly faster,therby (IMO) cancelling out the extra weight.

They are not faster, just feel that way because you are shifting more. IMHO without changing the Final Drive what is the point? Oh and when you do that you loose top end too.

Good post here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=391662&postcount=10

Cheers,

AR

AR
10-03-2008, 03:35 PM
That car was once driven by a lunatic in the Welsh valleys, with a mysterious past if rumours are to be believed - well that's what James told me anyway...:D

Don't believe the hype...:)

jaytip
10-03-2008, 03:58 PM
They are not faster, just feel that way because you are shifting more. IMHO without changing the Final Drive what is the point? Oh and when you do that you loose top end too.

Good post here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=391662&postcount=10

Cheers,

AR
I disagree Ary,purely based on the fact that UK 5 speed cars drop out of Vtec in the early gearchanges,where-as the JDM gears don't.I believe that HAS to make, an albeit slight,difference.

AR
10-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes it makes .10 of a second slower. As said before, you are not getting any more TQ.

Papalazarou
10-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Black rocker covers are for 3.0L cars,red for 3.2L
95 and 96 are considered less desirable by some because they are heavier due to the extra bracing in them because of the targa that came out in 95,plus they have PAS which is considered less desirable.HOWEVER,the 96 cars are fitted with Japanese gearing which makes them accelerate slightly faster,therby (IMO) cancelling out the extra weight.

I don't agree about the PAS being less desirable. I've only driven one non-pas model but I prefer the assisted option. Furthermore, the PAS in the NSX isn't intrusive like other cars I've driven, the steering's quite well weighted really. I'd certainly give up a little feel for easier low speed drivability.
Ivor, I know you weren't knocking the targa model; we've both owned them, but although they are heavier, the way they're set up makes them really good road cars, a bit softer and better for it on badly surfaced UK roads.
I never understood why a lot of peole give newbies negative advice about this variant; that they are less desirable and are worth less, especially in light of the fact that a high percentage of recent converts have been looking specifically for this model and very often they sell for more than their FH conterparts?

Cheers,

James.

TheQuietOne
10-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I never understood why a lot of peole give newbies negative advice about this variant; that they are less desirable and are worth less, especially in light of the fact that a high percentage of recent converts have been looking specifically for this model and very often they sell for more than their FH conterparts?

Meow! I wouldn't think twice about having a Targa after driving your old car James...just my 2p!

markc
10-03-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm with you Jaytip, the MY'96/JDM gearing is just more sensibly "spaced" keeping the engine in or closer to the VTEC rev zone more of the time.

It may not make any difference on straightline through the gears acceleration but IMO it does feel apprieciably better on the road.

You do get more TQ reaching the road (and therefore acceleration) by using lower a lower gear. The flipside is you hit the rev limiter more quickly and have to change up a gear, which takes time.

I'd love a Targa to go with my Coupe... but not in place of it. I think a Targa would be a near perfect companion for summer touring holidays in the South of France/Italy/Switzerland. Targa panel stowed so that the VTEC cry can be enjoyed even more as it reflects off rocks and tunnels :)

Ohh and I wouldn't give up the power steering either, light for parking and you can barely tell it has it at speed. All NSX's have "slow" steering that 's just the way they're engineered (geared).

Mark

Senninha
10-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Coming from an Elise and S2k, the Targa option was top of the list for me, particularly when SWMBO advised that she wouldn't be impressed if I changed the NSX after a couple of years. So on the basis it is a keeper then I waited for what I wanted.

If this MP Targa is the right spec for you, and like me you doubt you will change anytime soon, then take the advice offered and have the car checked over idependently, adjust your offer to reflect anything thats found and any service short comings and go buy yourself an NSX.

Good Luck,

regards, Paul

NSXGB
11-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Playing devils advocate...
The reason for some people discounting the targa variant is probably due to wanting a (dare I say) proper sports car. After all, the coupe \ non convertable \ sunroof'd (not just an NSX but any car) would be stronger and if it's not, the targa \ convertable \ sunroof'd versions would need strengthening to make them stronger, adding weight.
Therefore, if someone was buying a car for the track or to rally or pretend that they do :), the coupe would be the only choice?

With regard to power steering, it turns off after 20mph ish, so parking it is really the only issue.....get some muscles you wimps! Again, real sports cars don't have power steering, do they?

markc
11-03-2008, 05:17 PM
F1, WRC (World Rally Car), WTC (World Touring Car), DTM (German Touring Cars), LMP (Le Mans prototypes), GT1, GT2, G3 (Sport Racers) etc etc ALL have power steering :) In fact if their PAS fails they usually have to retire from the race/rally these days.

Apart from low volume manufacturers like TVR you'll be hard pressed to find another sports car from the last 10 years (with >250hp) that doesn't have PAS of some sort.

The NSX EPS (Electric Power Steering) system doesn't switch off completely at a set speed, it uses a sensor to detect steering input on the column and converts that to assistance via an electric motor that acts on the steering rack.

Manual gearbox cars from MY'95 have a variable rack that has a faster ratio around the straight ahead position than at its ends. The steering is quicker around the centre and slower on lock than manual steered cars.
A little box of electrickery decides how much assitance to provide depending on vehicle speed, steering angle (lock) and steering speed (rate of lock). I think there was a new "program" or MY'98 that supposed improved the feel/response. I guess it must be possible to play with the assistance "map" but I've never heard of this being done!

Overall the NSX steering is still fairly "slow" by most standards and if you ever drive an early TVR Tuscan straight after the NSX you probably steer it clean of the road :)

Mark