PDA

View Full Version : Trickle charging

Ferris Bueller
09-03-2008, 05:14 PM
My NSX hasn't been getting much use and I've bought a trickle charger to take care of the battery. Will hooking it up to the connections as per the manual's directions for a jump start be OK to do the job or do I need to go to the battery direct? The manual isn't the most useful at explaining how to get at the battery!

amo
09-03-2008, 06:04 PM
nahh you should be fine mate
i can post a pic of mine if you want
id extended the + cable and - just on to the chassis no worries

thx amo

Senninha
09-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Amo,

Appreciate photos please. I've run mine to the battery but not sure direct feed is working that well.

Any other views welcomed

regards, Paul

indi pearl
10-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Fitted an Optimate this weekend since I found the battery was drained after 3 weeks if the alarm/immoberliser was switched on.
I have "hard wired" the main battery connections and brought the feed wire forward,through the front compartment (cable tied to existing loom every 12 inches) to exit behind the front numberplate.This exit connection comes with a rubber protector that covers the terminals when the car is in use.The charger is mounted on the garage wall and has a "flying" lead to connect to the car when garaged.The Optimate is switched on and connected at all times the car is garaged and automatically maintains the battery at full charge with no danger to the cars electronics.

NSXGB
10-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't know, you guys! :rolleyes:

Just get out and drive it more.

The max I have left mine for without driving it is 3 weeks and never had any problems, maybe your battery is not so good? My battery is approaching 5yrs old BTW.

markc
10-03-2008, 05:59 PM
I connect my trickle charger directly to the battery terminals as the power socket falls closer to the front than the back of the car. I leave it on permanently whenever the car is garaged (all the time I'm not driving it) as per the instructions.

Using the jumps start terminals in the engine bay will do exactly the same job (as connecting to the battery terminals) so go for whichever you prefer.

Mark

WhyOne?
25-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi...very similar question to Ferris's really.

I am considering buying a CTEC battery charger / conditioner (does anyone have any experience / opinions on these?) and wondered if it is ok to use the 'jump-start' terminals in the rear compartment rather than delve down to the battery?

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Store/Product/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=104

Thanks
:)

NSX 2000
25-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Using the jumps start terminals in the engine bay will do exactly the same job (as connecting to the battery terminals) so go for whichever you prefer.

Mark

As I'm not using one of the cars at the moment, I've connected my trickle charger as above and it's been working just fine.
HTH Paul.

WhyOne?
25-03-2008, 03:40 PM
As I'm not using one of the cars at the moment, I've connected my trickle charger as above and it's been working just fine.
HTH Paul.

Excellent - thanks Paul!

TheSebringOne
26-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Mark, thanks for that! Since you've enlightened us that you can trickle charge from the jump start point in rear fuse box, I've found the positive point after lifting the plastic protector, but where do I put the negative connector to? Somewhere that has metal to earth it?

TheSebringOne
28-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Sorted! I saw two negatives on top of the engine block, but did'nt know which one to use! I didn't have my driver's manual, but do now & its the left one when looking from the drivers rear side! :)