PDA

View Full Version : Numberplate options.

Ferris Bueller
09-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Several pictures, not least Jaytip's avatar, have got me thinking lately about what can be done about the front numberplate mounting on the NSX. It looks so much better without the hulking great thing stuck to the front I can't help thinking that there must be something out there to minimise the negative aesthetic impact of the front plate.

Does anyone know of anything, other than the SoS stealth plate thing, that can be retro fitted please?

While we're on the subject, I'd like to get some plates with a small Senna S mounted to the left hand side, in place of where the GB/Euro babble normally goes. Again, does anyone know of any suppliers please? I'm thinking that the image could be copyrighted in which case I'll need to try and source some official stickers. Any pointers on this would also be gratefully received.

TheQuietOne
09-03-2008, 01:16 PM
How about this...been like it since May '07 with no problems:D

I keep a plate slid down the side of passenger seat and throw it in the window if I park up in town or for numberplate recognition sometimes in motorway service stations! If you search you'll see a few pics of James LBB sans plate too - it looks sooooo much better! IMHO.

TheSebringOne
09-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I would love to go naked or reg-less on the front :D, but knowing my luck I would get pulled. I live is great area, but some areas I passed through to get to City Centre Manchester, the boys in blue always around doing checks around the inner city area, looking for illegally driven cars and doing number recognition checks! Shame James Bond's rotating reg plate is'nt an option! :( Is it illegal to have a smaller size number plate, ie cut down to size?

Senninha
09-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Is it illegal to have a smaller size number plate, ie cut down to size?
Yes. Any deviation is illegal. I think I'm going to give Matts idea a go and cross my fingers ... it looks soooooooooooo much better that its worth giving a go.

regards, Paul

markc
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
CrazyMixedupKid's (Paul) solution is one of the nicest legal options I've seen. Look here... http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=1931&highlight=plate

I did the same to mine but I can legally use a smaller font (motorcycle size) and therefore plate as my car is an import.

Here are pic's of Paul and my cars...

Mark

AR
09-03-2008, 06:45 PM
http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=3369&d=1204488979

Works well for me!

Cheers,

AR

nigel
09-03-2008, 09:17 PM
The smaller motorbike plates look so much better if your able to use them. Seems if it was good enought for imports it would be good enough for domestics as well.
Over here some states require front number plates and some don't.
My GPW car came from a state where required and in Florida they aren't. The first thing I did when I bought it was remove the gaudy looking bracket to find the plastic the frame was made from had over time stained / discoloured the white paint of the nose piece and can't be removed with several cleanings. Not real noticable but there.
These cars look so much more attractive without the front plate it's a shame to have one at all.

Cheers
nigel

AR
09-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Nigel only imports are legally allowed to use the small plates.

Cheers,

AR

AR
09-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Oh and just in case:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/cynon-valley/2008/02/21/number-plates-purge-91466-20494298/

Cheers,

AR

nigel
09-03-2008, 09:55 PM
$1000 QUID????
BLOODY HELL, for a manky plate????

Cheers
nigel

TheSebringOne
10-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Ary, what type of number plate holder you have & how is it fitted? :)

NSXGB
10-03-2008, 08:42 AM
You can make yourself some simple 90 degree brackets that fix to the OEM fixing point.

AR
10-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Ary, what type of number plate holder you have & how is it fitted? :)

I have some leftover fixing brackets and used them to make some curved shape bracket that attaches to the lower OEM points as posted above.

Cheers,

AR

Andy
10-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I bought two 25 mm alluminium angles from a hardware store, plus a couple of bolts for a look similar to Ary's (Ignore my avatar which predates the change).

Standard or special number plates can be obtained from www.fancyplates.com. They arrived the following day.

Regards Andy