PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeenshire potential buyer

markdas
06-03-2008, 05:14 AM
Hi guys,

as the title suggests, I am in the process of looking to add an NSX to my collection of old crap and would like any help or suggestions along the way. I have owned a couple of Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbos and still run one of those now, so I would imagine the NSX is a equal car to this if not better.

I am fairly competent at dealing with mechanical issues on cars (but I think I am correct in saying that the engines in these things are pretty robust and need only the normal servicing, timing belt, water pump, tensioners etc). I guess the ECU and electrics could a tricky area, is the support good in this area (for example in the GTO world we have a good ECU repair service, things like poor headlights have a retro fit alternative, actice aero repair kits are common) what is the likely repair for the NSX?

I have read through the excellent links on prospective buying honest...but I think the advice from actual owners is invaluable.

My other request if you don't mind is who has an NSX in Scotland, who could come and help me inspect a potential purchase if one arises. I am close to Aberdeen but will easily travel for the right car.

Thanks guys in advance, hope to experience an NSX soon.....actually thats a lie, this is another car for my wife really....I just get to fill it with fuel and lay underneath it on rainy days...

Mark

NSX 2000
06-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Hi guys,

as the title suggests, I am in the process of looking to add an NSX to my collection of old crap and would like any help or suggestions along the way. I have owned a couple of Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbos and still run one of those now, so I would imagine the NSX is a equal car to this if not better.

I am fairly competent at dealing with mechanical issues on cars (but I think I am correct in saying that the engines in these things are pretty robust and need only the normal servicing, timing belt, water pump, tensioners etc). I guess the ECU and electrics could a tricky area, is the support good in this area (for example in the GTO world we have a good ECU repair service, things like poor headlights have a retro fit alternative, actice aero repair kits are common) what is the likely repair for the NSX?

I have read through the excellent links on prospective buying honest...but I think the advice from actual owners is invaluable.

My other request if you don't mind is who has an NSX in Scotland, who could come and help me inspect a potential purchase if one arises. I am close to Aberdeen but will easily travel for the right car.

Thanks guys in advance, hope to experience an NSX soon.....actually thats a lie, this is another car for my wife really....I just get to fill it with fuel and lay underneath it on rainy days...

Mark

Mark, the first thing we all say to somebody looking for an NSX is:-
1) what is your budget
2) Manual or Auto
3) Coupe or T top (Targa)

HTH and welcome

Paul.

markdas
07-03-2008, 03:29 AM
Thanks, yes you are right I/we should be very clear on what we want I guess. My uneducated view is too avoid the 1991-1993 unless the gearbox issues have been resolved (is that correct) my has mentioned a T top but its unlikely that we will get this one in the garage as we have a few others that juggle for that pride of place, so it is weather proof enough for Scottish winters?

When I was looking for my GTO I avoid a performance auto, but with the NSX does this work pretty well? I don't imagine we will be putting this on a 1/4 mile track for instance as we use the GTO for that....but is there a clear opinion of manual is better or visa versa?

Budget....well as all people in Scotland are cheapskates.....as little as possible !!! Really though....I don't think we are aiming to get as new as possible, if we get an older one that has had a bit of time and money spent on it.....then 15-22K is the figure in my head? Its sounds like the rear suspension is a place that can absorb money....but is this purely labout costs generally, are the wishbones, bushes, subframes dampers and springs vastly different to normal cars?

Thanks for the pointers so far......I need the wife to agree but I am thinking along the lines of T top, manual, 22K?

Thanks again
Mark

simonprelude
07-03-2008, 08:36 AM
If you want performance avoid the Auto :(

You should be able to get a Manual T top for £22k if you are patient.

mart155
09-03-2008, 09:15 PM
:eek: What!
I am in the process of looking to add an NSX to my collection of old crap

markdas
10-03-2008, 02:36 AM
Well....I didn't want to join the forum and set the scene, to make you guys think I have a country estate somewhere, with a collection that includes an F50 and Maclaren F1 etc.....
By collection in my case including my wifes cars I mean.....

2005 Audi Allroad 2.5TDi
1996 Nissan Micra 1.0 litre
1991 Nissan Figaro 1.0 litre turbo!
1991 Mitsubishi GTO 3.0 twin turbo
1986 Audi UR Quattro Turbo
1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1 1.6

We have rationalised a lot in the last 2 years......I used to have 2 Scimitar GTE's, a Saab 900 Classic convertible, a Saab 9-3 convertible, another Audi Coupe Quattro, an Audi 200 Quattro Avant, 200 turbo Saloon etc etc....so thats the explanation about picking up an old NSX ;):) Absolutely stunning car!

jaytip
10-03-2008, 03:06 AM
and to think i'm struggling to justify two cars(my wife can't drive)

markdas
10-03-2008, 03:24 AM
Too much is never enough!!!

Another stupid question about the NSX is ... what do they sound like? I am a huge fan of exhaust notes and was wondering if the Honda was a little muted for noise concerns etc?

simonprelude
10-03-2008, 08:39 AM
It is very quiet, however there are plenty of alternatives available.

Another stupid question about the NSX is ... what do they sound like? I am a huge fan of exhaust notes and was wondering if the Honda was a little muted for noise concerns etc?

Senninha
10-03-2008, 09:39 AM
The OEM exhaust is discreet most of the time which is just how Honda intended. This can of course be amended to personal taste.
One of the greatest sounds in motoring is however, the sound of the V6 induction. That is the soundtrack the NSX is more famous for. It can be lost if one changes to too loud an exhaust system.

Happy hunting, keep an eye on the firom for sale section as there are a few cars coming out of winter hiding. Pistonheads and Autotrader are other good places to keep an eye on.

regards, Paul

markdas
10-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Okay, I don't suppose I want to start messing around too much with what I have always thought is a pretty perfect set up. Am I correct in thinking that the OEM exhaust is stainless and has twin, single exit tail pipes, oval? I have seen a couple with quad exits also, do you find there is a variety of alternatives and one offs fitted to them? Is the standard exhaust fit for the job in terms of flow and noise, or do you suggest increasing the noise a little?

The stereo amps, how big an issue are they, can the who lot be changed out, as it looks as though the units are individually fitted only for this dash? Do Clarion for example offer a refurbishment service?

Yet more questions

Mark

NSXGB
10-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Clarion? I think you mean Bose....:)

The amps can be repaired very easily either by yourself if you are good with a soldering iron or by someone who is.

markdas
10-03-2008, 10:50 AM
I understand it has a BOSE system, but I think I am right in saying there is a company called Clarion services.....who despite the name, refurb old units such as the CD/Radio/Tape found in a Nissan Figaro for example, they basically stip out the internals and update teh who lot but retain the external apperance for originality. But if you advice is not to worry about it too much then thanks. What happens to them? Is it failure of the Amps (or should that be Amplifier) or dry joints etc.
Thanks again
Mark

NSXGB
10-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Plenty in the Prime FAQ aout this....

Old (inferior quality) capacitors start leaking over the circut board causing short circuts. Same happens to the A\C unit, again easy fix - replace caps and clean board.

If you do it yourself it will cost you a couple of quid, get a tv repair man to do it and it'll just cost you a drink.

markdas
10-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Sounds a bit like the ECU board and capacitors in the GTO.....200 quid at ECU doctor but agree that TV repair men can do it for a fraction

TheSebringOne
11-03-2008, 03:00 PM
You must hate cars with your small collection! :eek::D

Good luck in finding that special car, the NSX I mean! :)

The sound system might have been badged as Bose, but in actual fact its some thing else! Clarion?

markdas
11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Really......so whats the deal, are BOSE and Clarion the same company? Hate cars.....sometimes yes but when I have at least one working that I can drive it makes it all worthwhile....yes looking forward to being in charge of an NSX soon I hope.

Papalazarou
11-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Jesus man, haven't you bought one yet??!!

Come on embrace the shiny.

Cheers,

James.

markdas
11-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Well.......

I hope I am not tempting fate or giving anything away, but I have done a deal today on a 1995 Sebring Silver manual Coupe.......

I haven't paid for it yet but thats minor details.....collect it next week when I return from Kazakhstan!

So stand by for even more stupid questions soon......

Mark

NSXGB
11-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Congratulations on buying the fastest colour. :)

Senninha
11-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Congratulations on buying the fastest colour. :)
I thought Paul and I had the only Magnum Grey's :laugh:

Congrats and obligatory pics once you have your P&J home

regards, Paul

PS - MATTFEST

Papalazarou
11-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Well.......

I hope I am not tempting fate or giving anything away, but I have done a deal today on a 1995 Sebring Silver manual Coupe.......

I haven't paid for it yet but thats minor details.....collect it next week when I return from Kazakhstan!

So stand by for even more stupid questions soon......

Mark

I've got a stupid question: Japfest!! (and yes, I have no shame).

TheSebringOne
12-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Go Papa, go, go, go! :laugh:

Congrats on your impending great purchase & you've picked a great colour too! :)

Sorry for my Northern Humour, when I said you hate cars, I meant the opposite! :laugh:

markdas
12-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Thanks guys.....
I am sure I have ALMOST got a lovely car.....its from a member on here and I got a very good feel about the owner as well as the car.

As for getting it to some of the meetings, would love too....My wife and I were at JAE07 but this year have a dilemma.....we have the GTO to take and she did plan to trickle down in her little Nissan Figaro....but now how do we decide who takes the NSX and which car so we leave??? Problems problems....

We are based about 20 minutes north of Aberdeen so not very well situated for Japfest 08. We are happy to make 1-2 major trips a year so have to choose wisely.

Do any of you guys make the Furball events across to France, Milau Bridge or the Alps run etc......I would like to do one of those this year too....

I got the northern humour, so no fear of offence!

As soon as its on the drive I will get some pics up on here too....

Mark

jaytip
12-03-2008, 04:10 AM
We are based about 20 minutes north of Aberdeen so not very well situated for Japfest 08. We are happy to make 1-2 major trips a year so have to choose wisely.Mark
I would say that Japfest would be our biggest meet of the year.Because it's such a small community and owners are spread all over the country,people tend to have smaller local(ish) meets.

markdas
12-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Okay, I will check the dates.....hopefully I am around....I work 28/28 days in Kazakhstan so in general you miss 50% of the things you want to do!

Will try and contact the other Scottish owners sometime also.

Mark

gsuds
12-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Congrats mate...

Puts me off selling mine for a wee while! I'm up your way reasonably often so possibility of a silver NSX formation

G

markdas
12-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks, and thanks for our brief chat about your car.....as you can tell I am rather impulsive but I am so glad I have done it!

Yes, by all means, let me know when you are up in Aberdeen and we can get together are least, I have never seen an NSX up our way yet.....there is an R8, a Paganni Zonda, a couple of Noble M10's, several DB9's now....and soon to be an NSX I suppose!

Mark

gsuds
12-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Mine's been up a few times, as has the one I've borrowed from the Classic Car Club. I also spotted an '03 LBB last New Year in Cults, but that could have been passing through too. Actually, I think my own car had an Aberdeen owner back in its past, was serviced down here in Edinburgh at that time, handy for the service history!

Cheers,

G

markdas
13-03-2008, 02:51 AM
So is the nearest NSX approved Honda dealer in Edinburgh then? Its not so much the cost of the service, its having to supervise my wifes shopping trip in the town all day whilst they do it....shopping can be far more expensive!

smokie
13-03-2008, 09:03 PM
congratulations on your purchase. I'm just down the road from you in tayside. I know of 1 other in the Dundee area. I've had my 92 car for just over 4 years now and have loved every minute the V6 soundtrack is far better than any radio station. Enjoy

gsuds
14-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Chatham's isn't a listed NSX dealer.

However, they have 2 tech's NSX-trained, 1 of whom's been there "forever", and they're pretty passionate (and more than helpful / look for ways to save money) with the car. They have for instance offered to fit non-OEM brake upgrades etc - not the usual "by the book" approach. Family-owned since 1971 or so, always been Honda dealer. MD has a beautiful, mint, 1968 S800 coupe.

Also Brown Brothers in Peebles - again not NSX shop, but a chap local to me always had them look after his NSX, they again are a great, friendly, helpful bunch. Less chance of serious shopping trauma, and it's a nice part of the world.....Where in Aberdeenshire are you?

Graham

markdas
14-03-2008, 03:57 AM
I am about 15 minutes north of Aberdeen in a village called Newburgh. Good to find out that there are a couple of guys in Dundee etc. I am an area organiser for the GTO owners club (mitsi, not Ferrari) and we often meet up in either Aberdeen, Fife, or Edinburgh and of course travel down to the JAE in a convoy.

I normally service, maintain and repair my own cars where at all possible, but I guess keeping the service history is pretty important with these cars!

Looking forward to getting a meeting at some point!

Thanks for the welcome

Mark

Senninha
14-03-2008, 09:35 AM
........ MD has a beautiful, mint, 1968 S800 coupe.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/387138.htm

Would love one if I had the space ....... or even the soft top

DAVEMAT
14-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Congrats on your purchase, I know how you must be feelin right now, i was stuck in Azerbaijan when the deal was done buying mine, but at least thats better than Kazakhstan, I was there in Tengiz in 99 - Hell on Earth
Enjoy the X

markdas
14-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Its not too bad here, I am about 40 kms from Atyrau, north Caspian, less than a week to go now then home for a month.
Tengiz is still going strong, this Kashagan, a huge project being run in a style only the Italians could manage (and I dont mean stylish, with flare or panache) its rubbish!!!

Yes, certainly looking forward to getting to grips with an NSX at last, will have a nice 300-350 mile drive back up to Aberdeen so looking forward to that.....

Mark

amo
14-03-2008, 07:24 PM
congrats mate on ur buy
wel you got the second fastest colour lol
lol

thx amo

markdas
14-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Yes I do like a pink car also ! :rolleyes:

Will let you know how it feels after Thursday......

DAVEMAT
15-03-2008, 03:54 AM
this Kashagan, a huge project being run in a style only the Italians could manage (and I dont mean stylish, with flare or panache) its rubbish!!!

Mark

I know exactly what you mean, we do a lot of work here for Saipem (Agip) and to be honest, those Italians couldn't run a bath.

sunday driver
15-03-2008, 03:34 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........have just woken up after a long NSX sleep-my car goes away for the winter and I am just getting the polish out.
Strangely enough, I live just north of Aberdeen with my 1996 Targa manual. Great car for the rural roads of Aberdeenshire.Even better news-
my car is serviced in Aberdeen by another NSX owner at his non-franchised Honda garage. There are more of these cars hiding up here than you think!!!

markdas
16-03-2008, 03:35 AM
Excellent news and I am amazed I have never either car yet, its not like the sort of thing you miss. If its okay, I will contact you sometime to talk NSX in general and also about the servicing you mentioned.

Always looking for excuses to go for a blast on the back roads or a little further too!

Good news all round, looking forward to getting the car home next week.

Regards

Mark

jaytip
16-03-2008, 05:58 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........have just woken up after a long NSX sleep-my car goes away for the winter and I am just getting the polish out.
Strangely enough, I live just north of Aberdeen with my 1996 Targa manual. Great car for the rural roads of Aberdeenshire.Even better news-
my car is serviced in Aberdeen by another NSX owner at his non-franchised Honda garage. There are more of these cars hiding up here than you think!!!
Is this Martin?

sunday driver
16-03-2008, 03:01 PM
It is Martin,still looking after your old car. I see you couldnt stay away from NSX ownership for long! Posting messages at 6 in the morning- are you working overseas ?
Incidentally-dont get your wheels refurbished at the place where my car was done.They all started to peel and crack and looked terrible last year. I have had them stripped and re-painted over the winter.Other problems over the last year were to replace one ABS sensor on front offside wheel and a new ignition switch which took a while to get.I am looking forward to the big grin when I take to the road again soon!

Senninha
16-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Sounds like a sizeable Scottish convoy down to Mattfest guys :D

jaytip
16-03-2008, 06:55 PM
It is Martin,still looking after your old car. I see you couldnt stay away from NSX ownership for long! Posting messages at 6 in the morning- are you working overseas ?
Incidentally-dont get your wheels refurbished at the place where my car was done.They all started to peel and crack and looked terrible last year. I have had them stripped and re-painted over the winter.Other problems over the last year were to replace one ABS sensor on front offside wheel and a new ignition switch which took a while to get.I am looking forward to the big grin when I take to the road again soon!
Hi mate,Yeah i couldn't stay away long,all my plans for working offshore oversea's failed to happen when i found out i was going to be a dad.The six am postings are when i get in after working nights,which i do permanently.
Sorry to hear about the wheels,and other bits and bobs.I hate it when i sell a car and then the new owner gets problems with it :( Unfortunately cars being what they are,things break on them.I would have loved to have given you a 12 month warrenty with it but i'm not that rich :D
Glad you are enjoying it though.

mutley
16-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Sounds like a sizeable Scottish convoy down to Mattfest guys :D

I suppose that this is my que to jump in and say "Hi" as another Scottish owner (just down the road a wee bit from gsuds), not to mention that I wil be popping up to Aberdeen for a visit in a week or so.

Jim
PS mine is silver too!

markdas
17-03-2008, 02:37 AM
Good Grief...these NSX's are common as muck ;)

I am back in Aberdeen 19th March, fly to collect the NSX 20th and back home again 21st....will be away the week of 24th-28th collecting a gearbox and two meaty turbos and manifolds for a small project I have planned for my GTO. But apart from that I will be around if anybody wants to meet up or stop in for a cup of tea!

Will check dates for Mattfest - see if I am here, I go away again on April 15th.

mobile number +44(0)7793 876896

Mark

donnac
17-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Im in Central Scotland but ive got a yellow one, feel all left out now with all these silver ones:laugh:

We should have a Scottish meet and im deffo up for a convoy to Japfest:cool:

mutley
17-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Im in Central Scotland but ive got a yellow one, feel all left out now with all these silver ones:laugh:

We should have a Scottish meet and im deffo up for a convoy to Japfest:cool:

I rem something about you looking at a yellow one, you going to Stirling this month??

Jim

sunday driver
17-03-2008, 05:08 PM
I live in the country, so naturally my car blends in with its Charlotte Green paintwork. When I park in a field I often lose the car !!!!!

donnac
17-03-2008, 06:03 PM
I rem something about you looking at a yellow one, you going to Stirling this month??

Jim

Yes bought that one :cool:

See you there :cool:

markdas
17-04-2008, 12:43 PM
A bit of a delayed response this, however just to close this thread out. I collected my NSX on March 20th as planned. The owner spent a huge amount of time explaining all the things I needed to know.

In the month I have been at home my wife and I haven't stopped drooling over it and driving it.....I think I have notched up over 1500 miles in a month! Every time I drive it I love it......I love the way people admire it rather than sneer at you like people at a porche, ferrari etc...in fact people even move out of the way on the motorway in a nice fashion!

Had loads of people in the street actually stop in their cars and appolagise for having to talk about it with me......the local kids who already love the GTO, love this one too!

Had a favourable day at a local Scottish car show also as well as a half assed attempt onthe 1/4 mile with a not bad 14.5 seconds.

Its a lovely car and I hope we have many an enjoyable tour in it for a few years to come. Still thinking about changing the exhaust and maybe manafolds....but then the mesh engie covers looks good too.....its all just a bit costly thought isn't it!

Great car and looking forward to meeting you guys and the Fest for Japanese cars!

Mark