PDA

View Full Version : So why do you own an NSX

modarr
17-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Let hear why owners chose their cars.

My decision was based on an Evo article comparing an early silver car to 14 others. The NSX came third, looked little like my school age supercar dreams and had a reputation for reliability. This after Caterham ownership proved reliabilty really does matter, even for an occasional driver.

Mo

Kevin
17-02-2004, 09:09 PM
I liked the NSX when I first saw one, in a mag or TV whatever. At the time though I had always wanted a Ferrari. When I got the point where I earn my own money, and buy my own things, the running cost of the NSX converted me to it. I actually thought they were a lot more expensive than they were. I still had to be convinced to buy a car like the NSX, and luckily at the time I was working for an investment bank, so keeping up with workmates cars just had to be done.

Now that I have had the car for a number of years, there are reasons as to why I still have the NSX.

1. I hate buying cars. I hate the way you always lose money on the transaction. I don't change cars for no good reason.
2. I like the fact it's different.
3. I like the fact it goes quicker, sounds better (inside) than most other people think.
4. I know it's not the quickest car around, but considering it's age, it's cost, what is?
5. After a ride or drive, no-one ever says bad things about it. They might not buy one, but they don't say bad things.

The only downside to the NSX is that it hasn't changed (much) in 12 years. A new(ish) probably doesn't compare to other new cars as well as an old one does compared to it's contemporaries.

Marks_NSX
20-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Always into Ferrari when I was younger especially the 308/328 (Still like them) then Honda launched the NSX which I first saw at the motorshow in 1990. It was the only non Ferrari I took a photo of.

I also like the idea they designed it with the F16 fighter in mind - the interior is unclutted and visibility is excellent.

Its just a great car, beautiful to look at (I'd park it in ther lounge if I could!), great to drive, reliable, exclusive and reasonable servicing costs.

Mike_L
20-02-2004, 03:06 PM
I first discovered the NSX through owning a Prelude (4th Gen). I fell in love with the VTEC engine in the prelude and when I discovered that Honda did a 'supercar' version in clothes that looked so stunning, I was hooked.

The relative lack of worry re reliability and cost of servicing was just the icing on the cake.

Welshman
21-02-2004, 10:08 AM
I'd always wanted a Ferrari. Then when at last I could afford one, I test drove a 328. Beautiful looking car but not that nice to drive. Testarossas were available but are so wide they wouldn't have got through the garage door. Then I test drove an Aston Martin V8 - horrible - like driving a tractor.

Then I remembered looking at some NSXs in a garage in Bristol about 3 or 4 years before, looked them up on the web and found a 1996 T at Two Mills for the same money as a 1990 328. Went up for a test drive and was instantly sold on it.

What do I like about it. Great driving position. Very very comfortable. More than adequately quick. Handles very well. Exclusive. I see about 1 or 2 a year. I see 5 to 10 911s a day. Understated. Easy to drive slow in traffic. Fun to drive fast.

Unfortunately the T was totalled in Feb 2003 when I hit standing water and the car snapped sideways but I put a deposit down on a new one a wek later and eventually bought what had been Two Mills demonstrator in December 2003.

modarr
23-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Am I the only one who didn't want a Ferrari first?

Welshman
23-02-2004, 08:46 PM

Maybe you are!

UltraViolet
01-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Nope - Ferraris (IMO) are bought by people who dont always know much about cars. I always hope the NSX (since less well known, and no badge snobbery) is bought by enthusiasts who love a finely engineered and gorgeous sounding car.

jaytip
04-04-2004, 08:45 PM
I put a deposit down on a new one a wek later and eventually bought what had been Two Mills demonstrator in December 2003.
if my girlfriend reads this she is going to hate you :wink: .we were up in two mills last june when my car was having the timing belt changed and we saw the blue one in the showroom and she absolutely fell in love with it.in fact just this week she suggested staying in the house we are living in now and getting a facelifted long beach blue in a few years.
ivor.

Welshman
05-04-2004, 07:30 AM
I put a deposit down on a new one a wek later and eventually bought what had been Two Mills demonstrator in December 2003.
if my girlfriend reads this she is going to hate you :wink: .we were up in two mills last june when my car was having the timing belt changed and we saw the blue one in the showroom and she absolutely fell in love with it.in fact just this week she suggested staying in the house we are living in now and getting a facelifted long beach blue in a few years.
ivor.

It probably wouldn't have been the car I bought. I believe they run them as demonstrators for 3 months after which period they are allowed to sell them - Honda subsidise the experience - so I think mine only started as a demonstrator in September. It only had 398 miles on the clock when I bought it.

modarr
05-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Nope - Ferraris (IMO) are bought by people who dont always know much about cars. I always hope the NSX (since less well known, and no badge snobbery) is bought by enthusiasts who love a finely engineered and gorgeous sounding car.

:wink: Second that!

Ciaran
11-04-2004, 08:03 PM
I actually wanted a 911 (Black...Turbo...etc) since ..eer puberty, or maybe 17, not sure which happened first. Sat into a 92 model, 3 years ago and have never looked at one since. But it was the Senna involvement that has made me an NSX owner, and I suspect that will never change.

ctrlaltdelboy
11-04-2004, 10:27 PM
......But it was the Senna involvement that has made me an NSX owner, and I suspect that will never change.Gotta agree with Ciaran on this.
10th Anniversary of our great loss coming up in a couple of weeks (as if you didn't know already :wink: )