PDA

View Full Version : Cam belt replacement

vic
20-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Guys,

It's time for me to replace my cambelt. Chiswick Honda has quoted something like £580, with parts and labour, which sounds a bit steep. What're your opinions? Are there any good alternatives round London way?

Tks

v

BrownBear
21-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Sorry, but IMO that doesn't sound steep for a cambelt replacement.

Maybe I've been ripped off in the past, but that sounds about normal to me.

swlabhot
21-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Good to hear! I thought its more closer to the £1k mark. Mine is due this summer :roll:

DamianW
21-03-2005, 09:43 AM
I was quoted 600 quid for an Audi A6's cambelt replacing ... and that had a longitudinally mounted engine and a bumper/radiator assembly designed to move out of the way, so it wasn't an engine out job (I assume the NSX is).

So 580 is bloody good I think!

osiris_x11
21-03-2005, 03:51 PM
Guys,

It's time for me to replace my cambelt. Chiswick Honda has quoted something like £580, with parts and labour, which sounds a bit steep. What're your opinions? Are there any good alternatives round London way?

Tks

v

hmmm... Even by US standards, that's an excellent price... provided that it includes the water-pump replacement too. It's an ideal time to replace the water-pump as there will be no added labour! The 6yr/90k service in the US costs 1200-1400USD, and is often combined w/ the 60k service which is generally 600-800USD (this includes ALL fluids flushed & replaced, all cooling system hoses/ plugs/ air-filter all replaced, valves adjusted, and other items).

BTW, what year is your NSX? The service intervals were changed for the 97+ models and then for the 02+ models.

BrownBear
21-03-2005, 04:01 PM
[
hmmm... Even by US standards, that's an excellent price... provided that it includes the water-pump replacement too.

I'm pretty sure it won't include the water pump - (if it does, I'll join the orderly queue forming).

It's a cheap price for the job - last time I had mine done it was more like ~£700.

Try Trident Honda also (they're at Thames Ditton) - see what they quote...

Cheers
Joe

Clive
22-03-2005, 06:59 PM
[quote="DamianW"]I was quoted 600 quid for an Audi A6's cambelt replacing ... and that had a longitudinally mounted engine and a bumper/radiator assembly designed to move out of the way, so it wasn't an engine out job (I assume the NSX is).

The engine stays in for the cambelt....and for the clutch. Popular misconceptions in the press. And the price is about right.

Clive 8)

mcibuk
22-03-2005, 07:13 PM
2 Mills Honda were quoting me around £600 for the cambelt.
Mine was done about 2 years ago as part of the purchase deal and on the invoice record it shows actual dealer cost to be in region of £160 but this is at a labour cost of £10/hr. Normal rates are currently around £50/hr at this dealer so £600 seems light now.

jaytip
25-03-2005, 04:13 PM
hmmm... Even by US standards, that's an excellent price... provided that it includes the water-pump replacement too. It's an ideal time to replace the water-pump as there will be no added labour! The 6yr/90k service in the US costs 1200-1400USD, and is often combined w/ the 60k service which is generally 600-800USD (this includes ALL fluids flushed & replaced, all cooling system hoses/ plugs/ air-filter all replaced, valves adjusted, and other items).

BTW, what year is your NSX? The service intervals were changed for the 97+ models and then for the 02+ models.[/quote]
it definatley does not include the water pump at that price.Two Mills wanted to charge me £500+ for the water pump alone :shock:

jaytip
25-03-2005, 04:14 PM

BTW, what year is your NSX? The service intervals were changed for the 97+ models and then for the 02+ models.
it definatley does not include the water pump at that price.Two Mills wanted to charge me £500+ for the water pump alone :shock:

ctrlaltdelboy
29-03-2005, 08:29 PM
if you don't mind having a competent but not main dealer garage do this job instead then you can get the bits yourself as detailed below:

cambelt is here (http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1124) at $122.00

water pump (recommended) is here (http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1568) at $188 - the design has altered so you'll have to drill a new hole through your cambelt cover for the drain hole.

alternatively you can get the whole 90k service pack including the 2 above items plus the new cambelt cover (with hole in the right place) and all the other stuff you need like filters, gaskets, plugs, alternator & a/c belts for $650 here (http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=986)

my trusted mechanic in Southampton has done this and many other jobs on my NSX at much less than what main dealers charge - here's a few shots of my baby in his workshop

http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum/files/bumper1.jpg

http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum/files/eng10.jpg

Paul
01-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Good to hear! I thought its more closer to the £1k mark. Mine is due this summer :roll: I too thought the cam belt would be nearer the four figure mark to have done. But, after taking mine in to have the steering column spacers refitted, after the steering column had developed a tendancy to move from side to side (a somewhat nervy experience!) I asked them for a quote to replace my cam belt.

The garage in question, Marshall Honda in Reading (who have an NSX mechanic), are asking for £585.47p. Mine will be going there in the not too distant future me thinks!