PDA

View Full Version : New member with a few Q's

marcingtons
13-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Hello there:D

Im in the process on trying t0 find my self a NSX but seem to be having a bit of a struggle.........where are they all?? :laugh:

Im considering contacting Newera imports on perhaps sourcing me my car as i cant find exactly what i after over here in the uk at all

Im also a bit unsure on the pricing of these cars as there isnt any of them available to do a comparrison with :laugh:

My budget is around £15000-16000 but im thinking that it wont be quite enough money to purchase a black manual example through newera.

Would you guys advise to get one of these cars direct from Japan?

Also, ive read the odd reference towards these cars that they are expensive to maintain.......whats expensive.....evo expensive??? or porsche expensive??:eek:

AR
13-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Mate a normal 15 to 16 K car will be dear to maintain.

I recently spent £ 3320.00 on maintenance for my really well looked after FHSH one.

Your budget will only go as far as a tired auto/ crashed and repaired car.

I contacted them ( Newera ) about an NSX a few years ago, and they seem not to interested.

Japanese love their NSX, so unless your are getting a know showcar or a rare version, you will be better off buying here.

You just missed a great standard with 86K for £ 20500.00.

Cheers,

AR

simonprelude
13-02-2008, 09:32 AM
If you get a good one (which will be hit or miss with the limited budget) then maintenance can be done on a Honda Civic budget, however expect a larger service come cambelt time or for a new clutch.

I wouldn't think any importers will be able to help with your budget, NSX prices seem about the same in Japan as in the UK, then you have shipping and tax to pay for.

With the NSX being quite a rare car, patience is the key.
There have been a few bargains in the last couple of years, but they have been sold within a couple of hours of advertising.

Budget around £20k for a clean solid car.

BabyG
13-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Mine fell within your budget - it required a few things putting right (known about at sale) but now it's a daily runner. It's over 100k miles and from 1991, but I love it to bits.

AR
13-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Mine fell within your budget - it required a few things putting right (known about at sale) but now it's a daily runner. It's over 100k miles and from 1991, but I love it to bits.

The question is how much did it come too in the end and what condition is it in?

Steveycaz
13-02-2008, 01:21 PM
If you decide to wait a while and save up for a good manual, my own 1991 red and black is likely to be up for sale in the Autumn :(! It is in stunning condition and would be around 60,000 miles at that point. I'd be looking for around £20k.

BabyG
13-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Repairs just over a couple of grand, including a new window mech that I hadn't planned for. Condition? All seems good to me, and it's just had a full mechanical inspection at Norton Way. I'm sure it will have a few things happen to it, but more because it's 16yrs old than because anything's on it's way out.

I'd say somewhere around £20k is a fair min price for a sub 100k car without anything to be done - I took a risk getting one that needed work and it's not bitten me so far.

In my limited experience as long as you're prepared to take the small time it takes to get parts from overseas, servicing is standard Honda price.

AR
13-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Repairs just over a couple of grand, including a new window mech that I hadn't planned for. Condition? All seems good to me, and it's just had a full mechanical inspection at Norton Way. I'm sure it will have a few things happen to it, but more because it's 16yrs old than because anything's on it's way out.

I'd say somewhere around £20k is a fair min price for a sub 100k car without anything to be done - I took a risk getting one that needed work and it's not bitten me so far.

In my limited experience as long as you're prepared to take the small time it takes to get parts from overseas, servicing is standard Honda price.

So there you have it buy one for 15-16K and spend a few grand getting it back to spec or buy one in shape for a few grand more. Either way, one would need in the region of 20K to get a decent car.

Cheers,

AR

Greybloke
13-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Mate a normal 15 to 16 K car will be dear to maintain

Your budget will only go as far as a tired auto/ crashed and repaired car

AR

Rather sweeping statements,

As some will know my 91 car is now approaching 137,000, and I guess I would be lucky to achieve 15K despite it's fantastic condition. It's not a tired auto or crashed, and if I was selling would be well within the stated budget.

Mine has not been dear to maintain, and although it's been Honda serviced at Norton Way, who have done everything on the car, I've probably not spent £3,320 on servicing in total over 3 years and 60,000 miles! AR Did you get some extras thrown in;)

Of course as a car's mileage increases it's more likely to need work, but don't forget the Honda factor, great engineering, which helps longevity and reliability.

marcingtons - I'd advise spend the most you can stretch to, but expect the unexpected, and look for FSH preferably with Honda. Good luck, join us soon:)

AR
14-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Greybloke,

It all depends how you feel about "preventative" maintenance. If I include the extras thrown in, the figure will raise dramatically.

What are the chances that a well maintained, needs nothing car will be for sale for 15K?

Most will either need a cklutch or cambellt waterpump, even suspension in some cases.

So I should modify my statement to:

For 15 to 16 K you will get a POS NSX unless Greybloke sells you his. :)

Cheers,

AR

TheSebringOne
14-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I think there are 3 key things to look for:

1. Spend as much as you can stretch to
2. Be patient and wait for your idea car, mileage, condition and price
3. Full Honda Service History or part Honda with very good service history, but not necessarily with one of the 6-8 official NSX dealers around

Good luck and hopefully you might get that car! :)

Greybloke
14-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Greybloke,

It all depends how you feel about "preventative" maintenance.

AR

Well I think thats why I have my car car serviced at recommended intervals, replacing anything that's wearing or in need of replacement.

The point I was trying to make to marcingtons is that a £15k NSX is not necessarily expensive to maintain, it can be if it hasn't been looked after (missed or late servicing, non oem parts, low oil levels etc) But I do believe it's possible to buy a good un for the budget, he might have a bit of a wait for the right one:(

Oh mines for keeps so not for sale, but hopefully slowing down the mileage when the new car arrives.

AR
14-02-2008, 09:19 PM
So there you have it, the good ones are rarely for sale, unless the owner gets bored!

paulius
15-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Hey.i might sell my lhd 95 nsx in charlotte green,but looking to get around 19k.

AR
18-02-2008, 02:46 PM
So there you have it, the good ones are rarely for sale, unless the owner gets bored!
Or in my case gets ordered to get a four seater by his wife!

Greybloke
18-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Or in my case gets ordered to get a four seater by his wife!

grounds for divorce?:rolleyes:

AR
18-02-2008, 10:38 PM
grounds for divorce?:rolleyes:

That would live me getting a one seater as in moped!!!

Silver Surfer
19-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Get 2 NSX! ;)

SS