PDA

View Full Version : Your NSX

Rob_Fenn
12-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Cheap, high mileage but well serviced NSX wanted for £15k or under.

Must have SH with cambelt/waterpump done at the right times, otherwise, not that fussy.

Ideally no modifications - i can't afford the insurance. Upgraded OEM wheels would be nice though.

Cash waiting to buy.

Thanks,

Rob

simonprelude
12-02-2008, 09:43 PM
This one looks like a likely candidate ??

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/HONDA+NSX/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-4294958784-4294967196/advert.action?R=200806303388133&distance=85&postcode=BA14+7JJ&channel=CARS&make=HONDA&model=NSX&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

Rob_Fenn
12-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Went to see it yesterday! It is Sudesh's original NSX and was traded in for a Jag XKR. Supposedly it's not good enough for their forecourts, knobs!

- Air Con doesn't work
- Steering knocks
- Has weird amp hanging from under dash
- Been sprayed in various stages, with filler evident

It has a very extensive service history though. I reckon it is £1.5k-£2k to get into alright nick so i found it a false economy, although i did put in an offer!

The garage said they wouldn't take less than £12.5k. Suppoesdly a trader is taking it off his hands.

Still, the cheapest manual UK car i've ever seen. I didn't get the VIN but an intial HPI check was all clear.

Sudesh
13-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi rob as mentioned in my PM, I would be slightly wary of the miles indicated as when I owned it in 1995/96 then sold it around 97/98 it had well over 60k from memory back then, infact I may still have photo copies of old MOT's and service somewhere. I also recall a gentleman writing to me around 2000 who became an owner of the car, he was looking for some service records/details and spare keys to which I told him were passed on from when I owned the car, so it would look like an owner of the car down the line had lost some stuff, but I remember asking the guy what miles were on the car and I'm almost sure he said it was around 80k then! I also done a quick check on the car which suggests the car has had 12 owners!! I'm not sure if this is correct or maybe a falt somewhere on the HPI system, but it does show 12 owners. I can however confirm the car was cherished and regulary serviced and kept in perfect condition when I owned it, I also installed the large light saber brake light to which I have the invoice for from Honda.

Rob_Fenn
13-02-2008, 10:52 PM
The 12 owners bit did alarm me somewhat!

To be fair the service records seemed ok, it had been serviced every 5k miles pretty much on the dot.

I noticed in your pictures you had a different exhaust? Someone replaced it with the hideous standard for the princely some of £4,000.

I hope it's still for sale next week and the dealer was bluffing. Theres just not many cars about at the moment.

Sudesh
13-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I bought the car with the exhaust already on in my old pics, I think it was just the tail trims that were replaced as the exhaust didnt have any more "grunt" over the standard system. But I did notice in the Auto Trader add it was changed, infact I remember long after I sold the car that; the car was actually used in quite a few "POWERFLOW" exhaust add's, showing only the rear of the car and the plate H6NSX and after market exhaust was shown.

AR
13-02-2008, 11:04 PM
There are, but just not for 15K. :) That is unless you want an auto!

Cheers,

AR

Rob_Fenn
14-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah, autos are relatively plentiful... i thought about swapping the gearbox but i imagine it's a false economy.

amo
14-02-2008, 05:10 PM
what about shippin 1 in from japan

just an idea

thx amo

AR
14-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Is on Pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/375990.htm

Cheers,

AR

Rob_Fenn
14-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Just saw that, LOL!

Doesn't look like it's had anything but a clean... yet jumps by £3k!

Rob_Fenn
18-02-2008, 09:25 AM
I appreciate your brother's idea is to make money but it doesn't look like he's done anything to justify the £3,000 price increase. That's some expensive car wash...

Having seen the car myself i think you overselling it somewhat.

See this thread for more information:
http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4382

Lankstarr
18-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Rob,

I have seen your thread and addressed the points you have raised below:

- Air Con doesn't work
The aircon does work and is very cold. Maybe you didn;t know how to switch it on?

- Steering knocks
Having driven the car for 10+ miles on country roads I experienced no knocking or any such problems with the steering. It is a non-pas model so may feel different to your Dad's NSX. I was very impressed with the way the car drove, everything worked, the engine sounded great and I couldn't identify any noises that shouldn't have been there.

- Has weird amp hanging from under dash
There is an aftermarket amp fixed underneath the glovebox. It is not hanging anywhere and it is an amp - there's nothing weird about amps.

- Been sprayed in various stages, with filler evident
The car is 17 years old. You would struggle to find an NSX half that age that hadn't had any cosmetic work. The car looks great and without being picky I think you would be imressed with the overall condition of the bodywork. There has been filler to the passenger side wing as is evident from the post filler sanding that you can see if you look closely. The area filled is not huge and would not even be noticeable if I posted pics.
You make it sound like the car is several different colours and wreaks of poor repairs. It is not.

The price has increased because the car was brought at trade value and the trader undervalued it when he took it as part exchange. This happens with most NSXs if part exchanged in as the book value is way below the actual market value and dealers do not know what they're worth. My brother sells cars for a living, I think that £16k is a good price for this particular NSX and I'm sure most people on here would agree.

Everything in the ad I have posted is fact. I would not risk my reputation on here by trying to lie about a car on behalf of my brother. I am a long standing member of this forum and have many friends on here - I'd look like a bit of an idiot if I advertised a car and a future member on here found my ad to be misleading.

Which leads me to your summary of the car! You admitted that the history was impressive but stuck to bad points other than that (some untrue!). I believe in using this forum to make future NSX owners aware of cars that are being falsely advertised but do not understand why you have slagged this car off.

The car fell within your £15k budget by £1k even with your repair estimates. Why would you thereforee not buy the cheapest manual NSX that has ever been advertised? The trader had already agreed to sell it to my brother when you went to view it so maybe he wouldn't sell it to you?

You have missed out on a great deal here and will struggle to find another manual NSX for £15k (especially one that as never had paint!!). A car wash can mean £3k if you get the right car - it happens every day, don't be bitter.

That aside - I think the car is a very clean example and I do not want people to be put off by Rob's comments. If you are interested then please go to view it, test the aircon, take it for a test drive and check out the bodywork. I wouldn't go to these lengths to lie about a car with points that will be obvious to anyone that views it.

Luke

Sudesh
18-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I just took a look through some of my old papers and In 1997 I paid £112.24 for the LED brake light for the spoiler from Marshall Honda in Redaing. I also found copies of old mots which state the following:
Reg was originally H922JBG then changed to H6NSX,

April 1994 it was MOT'd showing 35650
Feburary 1995 it was MOT'd showing 44112
Feburary 1996 it was MOT'd showing 49285
May 1997 It was mot'd showing 56,229

It may be useful info for your brother Luke and if you would like copies just send me a fax number and I'll send them too you.

Rob_Fenn
18-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi Luke,

I'm sorry that you seem to have got offended. In my other thread i thought my post was actually upbeat, the car wasn't for me. I thought it was only right that i pointed out the problems i found.

Also, i actually paid for John at Plans to come out and look and drive the car with me for a second opinion.

I'm aware of how the a/c works thanks mate! ;) After a 30 minute test drive it was simply blowing whatever air was there. Cold day = cold air. It may just need a regas, it may need a compressor (as you probably know, common fault). I personally didn't want to take a risk.

Our objective opinions are obviously quite different. Most aftermarket amps in my experience are mounted in the boot. This was one visible from under the glovebox. I haven't had an eye test for a while but i'm pretty sure i wasn't hallunciating! Again, personally, it wasn't a good sign that they felt compelled to use an aftermarket amp when each speaker already has it's own which we all know bust easily.

I felt the interior and exterior showed it's age. Whatever the mileage, i was simply pointing out thats what it looked like.

By pointing out what i thought was optimistic selling wasn't implying you were lying. As i said, our differing points of view are objective after all. Ultimately i felt it was important that as part of a community forum i would give my honest appraisal of the car.

For some it will still be a good value for money car. I even emailed Sudesh in case he wanted it back for prosperity! After weighing up the options i thought it would be best to spend a bit more money on a lower mileage car because you can never turn the clock back (legally, anyway!). I'm sure it will sell nevertheless. I was actually planning to go to your bro's dealership to look at some other cars :)

Warm Regards,

Rob

Senninha
18-02-2008, 09:29 PM
With a few years experience of buying and selling the odd motor or two, it is not un-common for people to see the same car very differently. One mans part exchange is after all, the next mans (or womans) new pride and joy. Often fettled by the selling dealer to look at its best come sale time.

I've not seen this particular NSX but if I were looking for one I would go look for myself. If I was still interested, then I'm sure the seller, in this case Lukes brother, would not object to an independent inspection by Honda or AA or similar.

THere is another similar mileage car for sale at present that has been slightly modded and thouroughly serviced but it is £4k more.

IMO, both look to be good value to the right next man.

Just my 2p's worth ...

regards, Paul

AR
18-02-2008, 10:32 PM
THere is another similar mileage car for sale at present that has been slightly modded and thouroughly serviced but it is £4k more.

Is only £3255.00 more.

TheQuietOne
18-02-2008, 10:56 PM
I appreciate your brother's idea is to make money but it doesn't look like he's done anything to justify the £3,000 price increase. That's some expensive car wash...

Rob,

I appreciate your post trying to diffuse your comments to some degree after this one, but the above comment does irritate me so I can't ignore it, sorry.

I find it amazing that someone who quoted me £750 for 4 pages of website a couple of years ago can question the ethics of a genuine motor trader. I'm sure you're able to justify a few hours work for £750, and equally I'm sure that same justification would suit nicely someone who makes their business buying and selling cars, turning them around for a profit!

I staggers me that you can shamelessly plug Plans constantly on here (who are making a profit from every person who takes their car there) yet decide to write an unbalanced critique on here of a car another member vouches for without even taking the time to PM him and try and sort it out politely. I'm sure you know what a PM is as you managed to threaten Darren on here a couple of years back via it! :rolleyes:

I've known Luke and his family for 15 years and they are an honest hard working family who have been in the motor trade for over 35 years. Anyone reading this thread and interested in the car should do as Paul says, go and view it for themselves, despite what Mr. Plans might think...

Cheers,

Matt.

AR
18-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Well I will follow up with saying that I know bugger all about the car in question, but can say that Luke is an honest guy.

Cheers,

AR

Lankstarr
19-02-2008, 07:08 AM
I just took a look through some of my old papers and In 1997 I paid £112.24 for the LED brake light for the spoiler from Marshall Honda in Redaing. I also found copies of old mots which state the following:
Reg was originally H922JBG then changed to H6NSX,

April 1994 it was MOT'd showing 35650
Feburary 1995 it was MOT'd showing 44112
Feburary 1996 it was MOT'd showing 49285
May 1997 It was mot'd showing 56,229

It may be useful info for your brother Luke and if you would like copies just send me a fax number and I'll send them too you.

Thanks Sudesh. Are the MOTs all copies - if so then I'm pretty sure we have the originals. I haven't look through the SH myself but know it had a lot of previous MOT certs. If these originals are missing then it would be good to fill in the gaps. fax is 01235 553038. Another member on here got a quote for a brakelight recently and I'm sure it was a lot more than that, maybe they upped the price when the discontinued the car.

Luke

Lankstarr
19-02-2008, 07:25 AM
I hope any prospective buyers can see through all this discussion to the actual for sale ad! All inspections will obviously be welcome and I think the car will come with a warranty (check with Nick - he's not up yet).

Matt, Paul and Ary thanks for your comments.

Rob - I appreciate you saying that you felt upbeat about the car, your other post and the way you linked to it from here seemed to me like you were not impressed. You must have found yourself another 15 grand if you're considering a CSL, I hope it works out for you.

Luke