PDA

View Full Version : NSX Damaged During Shipping - Help Needed!

Auto Spirit
04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi Guys, I wrote a little while ago in anticipation of my JDM NSX arriving in Southampton from Japan. Anyway, I went down to see it on friday at SVA UK who will be getting it through the MoT.

To my complete horror, they pointed out some damage to the bonnet and front wings (see pictures). It looks as though the bonnet has flown open and bent all the way back so that the corners of it nearest the windscreen have hit the body and snapped off, and in turn caused damage to the wings. The bonnet is now all skewed and doesnt sit properly on the car.

I have instigated a claim against the shipping agent but it is yet to be established when the damage happened and who was responsible.

My immediate concern is to get 2 repair estimates. Does anyone know a competent body shop in or near Southampton - preferably NSX appointed or at least a company used to dealing with exotic/prestige vehicles? The trouble is that I can't legally drive the car so they will have to come to the car at SVA to undertake an estimate. Its could get complicated I guess as there are so many after-market body parts on the car.

Needless to say I'm gutted and pi**ed off with such negligence but hopefully someone will admit liability.

Any help/advice is much-appreciated. Thanks

simonprelude
04-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Not good :(

I am sure companies will be able to give quotes from those pictures (maybe a couple with the bonnet open if possible) and details of who makes the bonnet.

Auto Spirit
04-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Not good :(

I am sure companies will be able to give quotes from those pictures (maybe a couple with the bonnet open if possible) and details of who makes the bonnet.

Thanks mate, These are the only pictures i've got of the damaged areas - unless I go down to Southampton and take some more pix myself.

As for identifying the maker of the bonnet, I have no idea. In fact if anyone can identify the bonnet and wings, I'd be really grateful. Cheers

NSX 2000
04-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks mate, These are the only pictures i've got of the damaged areas - unless I go down to Southampton and take some more pix myself.

As for identifying the maker of the bonnet, I have no idea. In fact if anyone can identify the bonnet and wings, I'd be really grateful. Cheers

If your lucky there may be a label on the underside of the bonnet to say who made it.
HTH Paul.

dan the man
04-02-2008, 01:49 PM
some people just dont care do they..always a risk when shipping a car :(

why the bonnet had needed to be up is anyones guess

Senninha
04-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Real bad luck, but on the positive side, from what I can see the bonnet is standard size so you should be able to replace with any of the aftermarket versions available.

As its insurance job then go for the best one to suit your requirements, ie function of show and have painted to match.

Personally I would be on my way to the docks to inspect for myself. If hte bonnet has flown fully open you need to be sure for yourself that there is no other damage.

why the bonnet had needed to be up is anyones guess probably becoz some idiot wanted to have a look at the engine :rolleyes:

HTH

Auto Spirit
04-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the helpful comments.

I may just drive down tomorrow morning to carry out a full inspection and take more pictures.

The bonnet and front parts are "Marga Hills" brand so will look at the cost of replacement via parts order from Japan.

I've sent the pictures above to Chiswick Honda and Alan Day Honda in Southampton to see if they will provide repair estimates based on these pix.

Sometimes, it makes me wonder was it all worth it - this NSX has survived in pristine condition in Japan for 16 years and on its arrival in the UK some muppet decides to alter the bodywork :angry:

rsevo6
04-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Didn't you have the car inspected at pickup by the transporter and every time it was handed over from one transporter to another?? If you did, then it is obvious and can be proven with who the damage occurred!
Did you have it shipped in a container or RORO?
NEVER ever do RORO with a nice car!!
The damage/theft of parts risk is just too great and you don't want those unloaders race your car off the ship (and maybe make a tryout on the shippingyard) with a cold engine :angry:

I recently bought a pristine CTSC NSX in the US and had it shipped by both enclosed tractortrailer and seacontainer from the US to my home in The Netherlands. I made sure it was inspected with full signed inspection report every time it was handed over during shipping:
-when picked up by the trailer co. at the seller's home
-when handed over by the trailer co. at the shipper's warehouse for loading in a container
-when unloaded at the shipper's warehouse here in the Netherlands it was again inspected before I made pick-up.
So 3 inspection reports were made and signed.

If there had been any damage, in this way it would have been obvious at what part of the shipping the damage happend, so who was responsible.

I was lucky and the car arrived in exactly the same pristine condition as it started it's journey.:)

Auto Spirit
04-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Didn't you have the car inspected at pickup by the transporter and every time it was handed over from one transporter to another?? If you did, then it is obvious and can be proven with who the damage occurred!
Did you have it shipped in a container or RORO?
NEVER ever do RORO with a nice car!!
The damage/theft of parts risk is just too great and you don't want those unloaders race your car off the ship (and maybe make a tryout on the shippingyard) with a cold engine :angry:

I recently bought a pristine CTSC NSX in the US and had it shipped by both enclosed tractortrailer and seacontainer from the US to my home in The Netherlands. I made sure it was inspected with full signed inspection report every time it was handed over during shipping:
-when picked up by the trailer co. at the seller's home
-when handed over by the trailer co. at the shipper's warehouse for loading in a container
-when unloaded at the shipper's warehouse here in the Netherlands it was again inspected before I made pick-up.
So 3 inspection reports were made and signed.

If there had been any damage, in this way it would have been obvious at what part of the shipping the damage happend, so who was responsible.

I was lucky and the car arrived in exactly the same pristine condition as it started it's journey.:)

Unfortunately, it was RoRo - I ship cars regularly from Japan and never had a problem in the past. I guess I got complacent and paid the price :no:.

I will put this down to experience and get the best outcome from the current situation. Moving forward, I will definitely take your advice and go for a safer shipping arrangement.

Cheers

Auto Spirit
04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
btw can anyone tell from the pictures whether the bonnet and wings are fibre-glass or carbon-fibre? Cheers

simonprelude
04-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Wings look standard (Aluminium) bonnet looks like GRP.

Boomin33
04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
(and maybe make a tryout on the shippingyard) with a cold engine :angry:

Yep, I imported 9 sports cars between 2002 and 2004... was originally going to buy an NSX type S in Japan, but the thought of spending £30K+ on a car I hadn't personally seen and the things I've witnessed on the docks in Southampton, led me to the ultimate sin of walking into a London dealership to buy a Car!

They are a bunch of curious, muppets down there... you can always hear every 3rd or 4th car being raced from boat to the parking lots... after 2 months sitting still; I often cringed...

I hope you get a result on the damage... I found it's an uphill battle as there are multiple contractors involved of which none want to take the hit of having to sort out your vehicle....

maybe the fact that yours is a higher profile import... people will have noticed when the damage happened.

britlude
04-02-2008, 08:43 PM
look like grp, carbon would have black 'hairs'/fibres at the broken edge. (carbon wouldn't have a gel coat either)

NSXGB
05-02-2008, 07:54 AM
btw can anyone tell from the pictures whether the bonnet and wings are fibre-glass or carbon-fibre? Cheers

Bonnet is definitely FRP as said, looks to me like the wings are too judging by the way they are damaged.

dan the man
05-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Carbon can have a top coat tho im sure cant it? Gel or laquer- My BC one did on the DC5.

As for racing cold engine, idiots boils my blood.

britlude
05-02-2008, 04:42 PM
the builder wouldn't go to the extra expense to buy a carbon outer 'finish' grp bonnet, then paint it! it's straight grp!!! i second the grp wings too... the aluminium would have bent, not chipped

Auto Spirit
05-02-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm still waiting for Honda to come back with a repair estimate quote - although their quote will only be for replacing with OEM parts.

I've sourced the original Marga Hills supplier back in Japan and the cost of a direct replacement of the existing bonnet and 2 front wide wing sections is over £2,500 :no:

I have to keep my fingers crossed that the shipper's insurance will accept the claim...

TheSebringOne
05-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I hope someone admits responsibilty and you get it back to its pre-export condition. I thinks its grp since if it was cf, then you would see a splintering effect and also it would have not broke as alot more rigid than grp.

Auto Spirit
05-02-2008, 06:41 PM
sorry to ask a dumb question but whats the difference between grp and frp? aren't they both fibre-glass?

britlude
05-02-2008, 08:06 PM
grp/frp are the same! and as for the bonnet being grp/cf... both would have broken in that situation

jaytip
05-02-2008, 09:02 PM
This is a really sh!tty position to be in,and i don't envy you at all mate.I really hope someone accepts responsibility for it.Another possibly bigger problem for you after getting the parts is respraying and matching the colour.With the car having been re-sprayed in Japan there may be a problem in sourcing colour codes/and purchasing the right paint.
I really hope it all gets sorted with no expense to you.

Auto Spirit
06-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Whoahhh, I've just been quoted £4,078.10 by Chiswick Honda for the repair estimate - and thats just with OEM parts not the more expensive Marga Hills panels!!! I hope insurance pays :eek:

TheQuietOne
06-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Whoahhh, I've just been quoted £4,078.10 by Chiswick Honda for the repair estimate - and thats just with OEM parts not the more expensive Marga Hills panels!!! I hope insurance pays :eek:

Flipping heck - I think you should keep on the phone with the shippers until you get it in writing they will pay. Otherwise you'll had to get good with plaster of paris and pritt stick I would imagine...

What toss pots there are out there who would do this to your car. :angry:

amo
06-02-2008, 09:02 PM
shhhiit man sorry to hear
if i was you id get a carbon bonnet
wings get them from the states

thx amo

Rob_Fenn
07-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Lol, would look weird getting OEM panels with the Marga hills.

Mate, the wings look standard but they are subtely wider and almost defo GRP.

My recommendation (as always!) is to take it to Plans Motorsport in Surrey who use a very competent body shop. They are used to fibreglass as they deal with Elises/VX220s. My VX was recently repaired so i can vouch for the quality. Certainly won't be £4k!!

Advantage of going to Plans is they can give the car a good check over as i've seen imports there before.

Auto Spirit
08-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Lol, would look weird getting OEM panels with the Marga hills.

Mate, the wings look standard but they are subtely wider and almost defo GRP.

My recommendation (as always!) is to take it to Plans Motorsport in Surrey who use a very competent body shop. They are used to fibreglass as they deal with Elises/VX220s. My VX was recently repaired so i can vouch for the quality. Certainly won't be £4k!!

Advantage of going to Plans is they can give the car a good check over as i've seen imports there before.

Thanks for the advice - I will definitely keep them in mind as I have no intention of getting it repaired by Honda - regardless of the insurance outcome. Cheers

Auto Spirit
13-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi Guys, whilst the insurance claim runs its very slow course, I've had the conversion work done on the car. Unfortunately, it has failed the MoT on the "o/s/f lower swivel".

Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to how much replacement parts will cost?

jaytip
13-02-2008, 12:29 PM
I can't help sorry because i've never even heard of o/s/f lower swivel:dunno:

AR
13-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi Guys, whilst the insurance claim runs its very slow course, I've had the conversion work done on the car. Unfortunately, it has failed the MoT on the "o/s/f lower swivel".

Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to how much replacement parts will cost?

Is that a wishbone?

Auto Spirit
13-02-2008, 02:17 PM
I've just had a quote from Honda for replacing the o/s/f lower ball joint - apparently the ball joint does not come separately, you have to buy the whole arm and i'm quoted £998 plus two hours labour charge by Honda :eek::eek::eek: anyone got an alternative and CHEAPER option???

Silver Surfer
13-02-2008, 03:14 PM
yes..... get a used part!!!
Phone around breakers and the USA, you will get one at a fraction of the price.

SS

Silver Surfer
13-02-2008, 03:31 PM
This is the n:s:r
http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=2459&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1185092430 (http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=2459&d=1185092430)

Does it look the same but for the front?

SS

WhyOne?
13-02-2008, 03:33 PM
This is the n:s:r
http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=2459&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1185092430 (http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=2459&d=1185092430)

Crickey!

That looks like £998 well spent!

Silver Surfer
13-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Got mine from Amo for £65 and 1.5 hr labour at norton way. :)

SS

britlude
13-02-2008, 04:56 PM
thats the track rod end, not the lower ball joint/swivel... that'll be the on the outer end of the bottom arm.!

get in contact with Dirk on here, he'll be able to sort you out!

Auto Spirit
13-02-2008, 05:55 PM
thats the track rod end, not the lower ball joint/swivel... that'll be the on the outer end of the bottom arm.!

get in contact with Dirk on here, he'll be able to sort you out!

REALLY!!! Who's Dirk - I'd love to get in touch with him asap to see if he can help. Thanks so much for the advice. :thumbsup:

AR
13-02-2008, 06:14 PM
REALLY!!! Who's Dirk - I'd love to get in touch with him asap to see if he can help. Thanks so much for the advice. :thumbsup:

http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Auto Spirit
13-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Great stuff - I've email him with my part requirement. I hope he's able to source it cheaper than Honda. Thanx mate

Auto Spirit
13-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Looks like Dirk has saved the day - he's able to source a used replacement ball joint 'knuckle' for 300 euros + shipping.

Sorry to keep pestering for advice but my final question for now is.. can anyone recommend any nsx-friendly garage to get it fitted - preferably not too far from Windsor?
Thanx

NSX 2000
13-02-2008, 11:05 PM
It would have to be Plans motorsport, they are just the other side of Guilford from Windsor.
HTH Paul.

Auto Spirit
13-02-2008, 11:07 PM
It would have to be Plans motorsport, they are just the other side of Guilford from Windsor.
HTH Paul.

Thanks mate. Do you know if their labour charges are less than Chiswick Honda (80 pounds per hour excl. vat) ?

NSX 2000
14-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks mate. Do you know if their labour charges are less than Chiswick Honda (80 pounds per hour excl. vat) ?

I think they charge £50 or less per hour, I will let you know how good there work is as I collect mine on saturday after they have done various bits to it.
Paul.

Auto Spirit
14-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I think they charge £50 or less per hour, I will let you know how good there work is as I collect mine on saturday after they have done various bits to it.
Paul.

Cheers Paul, that would be really good to know.

Rob_Fenn
14-02-2008, 04:31 PM
It's £59. I have quite a bit of experience lol!

What is your car in for Paul?

NSX 2000
15-02-2008, 12:05 PM
It's £59. I have quite a bit of experience lol!

What is your car in for Paul?

The car is in for the following:-
Type r discs fitted all round
Some fancy brake pads fitted all round
Fancy teflon brake lines fitted all round
Procar air box/filter thing
Procar carbon fibre side air vents (the ones just behind the doors)
3 fancy bar things that go at the front. (sorry can't remember what they are called)
TAITEC GT Lightweight Exhaust
Type r engine cover fitted.

I've just found out that I will not be collecting her now untill next Saturday (23rd)

Paul.

Rob_Fenn
15-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Sounds great!

Would be good to meet up and hear your Taitec when you get her back.

Auto Spirit
21-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Does anyone have a phone number for Dirk?
I ordered a used part from him. It was delivered direct to the garage and they have told me it is no good.

Auto Spirit
03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Guys,

After all the problems I had with the damage caused during shipping, I was finally able to drive my 1992 JDM NSX back home on Friday. WHAT A CAR!!! I was so excited getting my first driving experience with it. Seems that I was not the only one who's emotions were stirred - there was a lot of traffic getting out of Southampton, and quite a few pedestrians and other car occupants suddenly became amateur paperazzis, clicking away happily.:drool:

I gave it a good wash and wax yesterday, so here are a few pix. The damaged bonnet and wings havn't been repaired yet (pending insurance claim outcome)

P.S. A big mention to Dirk. He was brilliant at dealing with the faulty suspension arm, which he replaced with another that was shipped in double quick time. I will be dealing with him for all my parts requirements :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

NSXGB
03-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Very nice, can we have some interior shots please? Do you know what make the wheels are?

Auto Spirit
03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
In my excitement about taking pictures of the outside, I forgot to do the same for the interior before putting it back in the garage. Will take some next weekend and post them up.

The wheels are BBS alloys - 18 inch on the rear and 17's on the front. I didn't like them much at first but I am warming to them very quickly...

simonprelude
03-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Looking good now, any news on the possible insurance for bonnet and wing ??
Shame to let it let the car down :(

Auto Spirit
03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
No sign of progress on the insurance claim - I don't get too much of an impression that the shipping company are taking my claim seriously :no:

Just have to wait i guess - the drag is that I can't get the car repaired myself until the insurance process is completed - as you say, shame it lets the car down, because the rest of the car is in really good condition.