PDA

View Full Version : Damaged rims

TheSebringOne
02-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Just had new rear GY F1s fitted & noticed the fitting company had taken a 3 inches long chunk out of the one raised rim edge (the one you see on the face)! Its gone through the lacquer, paint & to the alloy. Other rim has a one inch similar damage, but not as deep, which I can touch up. :angry: I watched 2-3 of them struggle to lever the old tyre away from the rim edge after deflating, I knew oems Bridgestone RE010 had very stiff side walls.

They said it could'nt be avoided & there was too much of the old adhesive! My question is how I address the problem? Strangely when I had the then new BS put on, there was no damaged at all when removing oem Dunlops, apart from the very edge thats in the gap bewteen tyre & rim, which I find acceptable. I've already had them re-painted & re-laquered before when purchased from HUK.

AR
02-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I had a similar problem with the tyre company that did mine. I called back and was given the same story as you. I then called their HQ who advised me to speak to the area manager. He asked me what I wanted? I said I wanted all four wheels refinished or money to get them done elsewhere! They agrreed to have them done at their expense. They remounted them and refinished them.

I think that unless they remove them carefully by clamping the bottom rim of the wheel and pulling up, they will always get damaged.

Hope they can sort it out for you.

Cheers,

AR

NSXGB
02-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Adhesive? Sounds like BS to me. Phone their head office to complain. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the 'gunk' they slap round the tyre before they put them on the rim is a lubricant to aid assembly....

TheSebringOne
02-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I will speak to their big HQ manager on Monday! The two young lads that did the job were old enough to be my kids, strangley the second wheel involved who I thought was the manager and this is the rim with little damage! Got tyres through BlackCircles and read previous comments about the garage and they seem very positive! :angry:

Senninha
02-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Adhesive? Sounds like BS to me. Phone their head office to complain. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the 'gunk' they slap round the tyre before they put them on the rim is a lubricant to aid assembly....
Thats what I've always thought it was .... if they are correctly trained and have the correct equipment to deal with alloy rims then it is not acceptable for any damage to ocurr.

James, they should either compensate or repair as Ary acheived above

Good Luck, Paul

AR
02-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Don't put up with any touch up BS. Demand all four refinish to a high standard or find a place near to you to quote you on the refinish and ask for the quoted amount.

jaytip
03-02-2008, 07:22 AM
As mentioned above there shouldn't be any damage to the wheels when changing tyres.I had all four tyres put back on the car at a place local to me with no problems at all.The first place i took them to couldn't do it despite giving it their best shot,and in fairness to them,they told me that they couldn't get the tyres on without risk to the rim,and advised me to try elsewhere.
Don't put up with any crap regarding compensation/fixing your old rims.

AR
03-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Needless to say that saying that you will not do business with them anymore won't help either. I used to give said business all of my business tyres too, and needless to say I got my tyres for my te-37s elsewhere. As an aside note, they did do an excellent job on my OEM wheels!

nigel
03-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Your correct Simon. There is no adheasive involved. The wet stuff they slop on the wheel you have to clean off after install is just washing up liquid and water. Follow what the lads say and contact head office and get as new or replaced. After all it's not a Prius with F-1s.
Over here they have, (I don't know how they work) touchless mounting machines that grip the rims and leave NO marks. I have white rims and would explode if they buggered them up.

Cheers
nigel

dan the man
03-02-2008, 07:45 PM
ABSOLUTE JOKE.

Ive always been super picky where i take my tires to be changed and thank god ive finally found somewhere that wont damage the rims at all and know how much id be pi55ed.

James Kick offd emand the money back anbd a full refurb as no excuse, just monkeys doing a day job who should have more pride. Its an NSX alloy FFS not a transit steely.

TheSebringOne
08-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Been over 3 weeks, my fault as been v.busy. I chase it up as no reply. They've not received my letter & the manager has changed! Got new manager's name & the area manager. Luckily he phoned the old manager & he admitted that he remebered my complaint. Said I should post another letter in, I explained I wanted to speak to area manager now & by luck he was filling the managers shift one day. I said I will hand deliver a letter to him & show him the damage. The area manager did'nt even want to see the letter, inspected the damage & said he will arrange for a wheel restorer next week! I'm going to take wheels and not the car to them next week. Lets hope the job they do is decent! :)