PDA

View Full Version : Shipping car to the States.....

jaytip
29-01-2008, 03:32 AM
.....and then driving it while over there.Anyone know if it's even possible to do this?
If i get the colour and model i want over here then i have a few things that i would like to get done to it:supercharger,and full Kane interior upgrade plus a few other bits,and i really think it would be easier just to ship the car to the states and then get the modifications done while out there.Reason being there are countless supercharged NSX's in the States and i would have more pease of mind if the job were done there,plus it would be much easier to drop the car off at Ravi's place of work and have him do the interior re-trim rather than ship parts over,because let's face it everything would cost a fortune in rip off Britain.
Just a thought running through my head on yet another sleepless night(no the baby isn't born yet,lol)

Cheers,

Ivor.

simonprelude
29-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Speak to this guy, he has done the same with a few peoples UK S2000's and now owns an NSX himself.

www.masetuning.com

AR
29-01-2008, 08:37 AM
The thing is, there are not many new SC available for thew NSX and what few there are people want a bomb for.

NSX 2000
29-01-2008, 09:19 AM
.....and then driving it while over there.Anyone know if it's even possible to do this?
If i get the colour and model i want over here then i have a few things that i would like to get done to it:supercharger,and full Kane interior upgrade plus a few other bits,and i really think it would be easier just to ship the car to the states and then get the modifications done while out there.Reason being there are countless supercharged NSX's in the States and i would have more pease of mind if the job were done there,plus it would be much easier to drop the car off at Ravi's place of work and have him do the interior re-trim rather than ship parts over,because let's face it everything would cost a fortune in rip off Britain.
Just a thought running through my head on yet another sleepless night(no the baby isn't born yet,lol)

Cheers,

Ivor.

Ivor if I read your post right, you are thinking oy buying an older car, shipping it over the pond, get the work done then bring it back, plus you may want to drive it whilst it is out there.
If the above is correct then it is very easy to do, it's like taking your car to europe, all you do is put it on a ship then pick it up at the other end, you will though need to arange insurance. IIRC you can keep it out there for upto 6 months either wise you then have to register it as a US car pay tax etc!!!! plus the car must have valid UK tax and MOT during the period it is out in the US.
I know that on the old QE2 if you booked a certain class cabin/ticket then you could take your car for free.
HTH
Paul.

jaytip
29-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Ivor if I read your post right, you are thinking oy buying an older car, shipping it over the pond, get the work done then bring it back, plus you may want to drive it whilst it is out there.
If the above is correct then it is very easy to do, it's like taking your car to europe, all you do is put it on a ship then pick it up at the other end, you will though need to arange insurance. IIRC you can keep it out there for upto 6 months either wise you then have to register it as a US car pay tax etc!!!! plus the car must have valid UK tax and MOT during the period it is out in the US.
I know that on the old QE2 if you booked a certain class cabin/ticket then you could take your car for free.
HTH
Paul.
Close Paul.What i'm after specifically is an 02+ targa in LBB or IOP,and yes then shipping it over there and driving it across the US to the different places that i want work done to it,and then shipping it back home.
One thing i did think about though after posting this is fuel mapping.Don't we use a better quality fuel over here than they do over there?Would that not make a difference to the tuning of the car and how it would run back home?

jaytip
29-01-2008, 01:38 PM
The thing is, there are not many new SC available for thew NSX and what few there are people want a bomb for.
I agree,but i think that with the $ being so weak against the £ and hopefully staying that way for a long time yet,then i would get better value for money(and better NSX tuning knowledge) out in the States.

NSX 2000
29-01-2008, 02:29 PM
One thing i did think about though after posting this is fuel mapping.Don't we use a better quality fuel over here than they do over there?Would that not make a difference to the tuning of the car and how it would run back home?

Ivor they (US) have kept with the old 2 star 3 star and 4 star system but for unleaded, so in theory as long they set up using 95 octane fuel you should be OK. If anything it should run better in the UK as IIRC there octane is not as high as ours and ours (europe) is lower still than Japan. I know my US pickup ran well on our fuel.
HTH
Paul.

Boomin33
29-01-2008, 07:58 PM
I've got a contact that has shipped cars around the world ( he owns a shipping company that deals with corporate accounts )
If interested I could put you in touch. I don't think it's cheap, but I could ask him to give you a deal.

Want to speak to him?

Senninha
29-01-2008, 08:05 PM

Ivor,

Just run the car low(ish) on fuel before you go then top up on arrival. Once topped up just pop the clock fuse for ten mins. Refit fuse, run engine (without throttle use) for ten mins (I need to check time) and drive off. The later ECU is clever enought to remap to the new fuel.

Its the process I used when I changed from std pump fuel to running on Vpower.

Regards, Paul

britlude
29-01-2008, 08:11 PM
maybe something of use here, UK hotrodders take their cars to the home of hotrods.....

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=3376

jaytip
29-01-2008, 09:08 PM
I've got a contact that has shipped cars around the world ( he owns a shipping company that deals with corporate accounts )
If interested I could put you in touch. I don't think it's cheap, but I could ask him to give you a deal.

Want to speak to him?
Not at the moment.I'm not in the situation(financially or otherwise)to do anything about it at the moment.If i did go down this route it would probably be in a year or so time.Thanks anyway.
Thanks everyone else to who have made suggestions.
Appreciated.

Ivor

amo
01-02-2008, 06:19 PM
hi mate
id do what i did
go over buy all you need and bring it back get it fitted here and set up
if you ever want any info or a good look over mine welcome anytime
pm me or ring

thx amo