PDA

View Full Version : strange noise from steering column area

madras
27-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I have just starting to hear a strange kind of electronic beeping (though all screwed up like the computer in Alien or something, not consistent) that appears to be emanating from around the steering column in the cabin, it started, it seems when turning, but then does it in a straight line too and has then started getting more frequent (this is over about 5mins and a couple of miles). Then the brakes started doing strange things, the pedal was sometimes really soft as if the fluid had gone, or it was pulsating like the abs was kicking it, but clearly it shouldn't have been (5mph and braking gently on dry road). The brakes still appear to be working fine.

I'm a bit concerned to drive the car again if there might be a brake issue but there are no lights on the dash to indicate a problem.

The pads were changed about 8kmiles ago. Oh the car had a flat battery as I hadn't driven it for a few weeks so I had just jump started 10miles before

Any ideas!?
Thanks

TheSebringOne
27-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Assuming your car comes with PAS and its this and your brakes that are playing tricks, maybe its a hydralic systems related problem and not sure if theres any warning on the dash to show this?

madras
27-01-2008, 07:49 PM
actually it's a non PAS and is a manual.
thanks

Silver Surfer
27-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Abs??

Ss

rsevo6
28-01-2008, 08:21 AM
I know that on a Miata (MX-5) of a friend of mine, it made a intermitting 10 sec "beep beep" sound every 15-20 min or so after he removed the airbag to fit a sports steering wheel.
In his case, the "beep beep" was a alarm that there is a wrong/disconnected airbag circuit connection.

Perhaps the same with your car?? (bad/broken airbag wiring connection?)

NSXGB
28-01-2008, 08:46 AM
I know that on a Miata (MX-5) of a friend of mine, it made a intermitting 10 sec "beep beep" sound every 15-20 min or so after he removed the airbag to fit a sports steering wheel.
In his case, the "beep beep" was a alarm that there is a wrong/disconnected airbag circuit connection.

Perhaps the same with your car?? (bad/broken airbag wiring connection?)

....in that case I think you would see the SRS light illuminate on the dash....

madras
28-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Certainly seems to be something with the brakes, as they were operating strangely when the noise was occuring.

I drove it last night and when manoevering off and the noise started, as soon as I engaged the handbrake it stopped. It didn't do it again all the way home and the brakes were fine. I checked the fluid levels - fine, and no liquid under the car while while parked.

Come to think of it the sound was similar to the clicking sound you get when you have a flat battery without not enough energy to turn the starter motor, but it wasn't as consistent, more erratic than that.

I saw another post on here about strange noises and that appeared to have been the ABS. Is there a computer that stores errors similar to on a Ferrari. Will Honda be able to tell me or will the problem need to occur while they are looking at it.
Thanks

jaytip
28-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Certainly seems to be something with the brakes, as they were operating strangely when the noise was occuring.

I drove it last night and when manoevering off and the noise started, as soon as I engaged the handbrake it stopped. It didn't do it again all the way home and the brakes were fine. I checked the fluid levels - fine, and no liquid under the car while while parked.

Come to think of it the sound was similar to the clicking sound you get when you have a flat battery without not enough energy to turn the starter motor, but it wasn't as consistent, more erratic than that.

I saw another post on here about strange noises and that appeared to have been the ABS. Is there a computer that stores errors similar to on a Ferrari. Will Honda be able to tell me or will the problem need to occur while they are looking at it.
Thanks
If it is the ABS making the noise then it's not a problem as such.It's the ABS unit priming itself (i think that's what it is doing) and is quite normal although it sounds anything but.

rsevo6
28-01-2008, 11:02 AM
"Beeping" sound, "clicking" sound...... make up your mind which, they sound a lot different:rolleyes::laugh:

A clicking sound does indeed sound like it is the ABS unit priming. If it does this a lot, I think it may be failing, as this should only happen after changing the brakefluid in the ABS system and it needs to build up pressure again.
Shouldn't happen ofter.

madras
28-01-2008, 11:39 AM
"Beeping" sound, "clicking" sound...... make up your mind which, they sound a lot different:rolleyes::laugh:

A clicking sound does indeed sound like it is the ABS unit priming. If it does this a lot, I think it may be failing, as this should only happen after changing the brakefluid in the ABS system and it needs to build up pressure again.
Shouldn't happen ofter.

OK i decided - clicking:)
well, considering the brake pedal was pulsing and also felt soft while the clicking was occuring it seems likely to be ABS?
Why would it be priming? might there be leak in the system, in what way does the ABS system fail?
thanks

madras
28-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Could this be something to do with the Anti Lock Breaking system high pressure hose. It was last changed at 48kmiles and it's now 100kmiles.

Fluid was changed a year ago, so is due in 1 year.

Thanks

duncan
28-01-2008, 01:24 PM
They all do that , Sir.
A reserve of pressurised fluid is held in the ABS unit, as opposed to a pump that runs only on demand; if you look you will see a cast pressure sphere [like a Citroen's] beneath the distribution block, the sound is the pump re-pressuring this. If the sound runs for more than about 60 seconds, then you run the risk of causing damage to the pump.
If this fluid [it is seperate to the fluid in the brakes themselves] was changed a year ago, you should be fine.
The HP hose is listed as needing change every 4 years; a little odd, as the brake hoses at the 4 corners [which are subject to both movement and road crud] have no stated service replacement interval. However, Honda say 4 years for this hose.
Whatever the softness you feel in the brakes, it will be the main system, I would suggest fitting 4 Goodridge or similar braided hoses and bleeding the main system through with new fluid as a starting point.

madras
05-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks, the softness was only temporary.

It was fine driving back the other day. But started it today, actually had to put a new battery in if that's relevant. And the ALB light was lit and the ALB system was not functioning. I drove for a couple of miles then turned off the ignition, and restarted and it was fine and the ALB were working correctly and pulsing the brake pedal under emergency stops. Turned it off and on a couple more times with a bit of driving and it all seemed fine.

The noise I heard before was defn the ALB unit priming as you hear the same noise when they are operational during an emergency stop.

Question is should I take it in to Honda to check the error codes and see what might be wrong, or is what I experienced normal?

Thanks.

Silver Surfer
05-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Suggest take to Honda if the warning lights come on again as the ABS seems to be working fine. :dunno:

SS

britlude
05-02-2008, 04:48 PM
hurrah, someone else discovers the joy of the abs pump!!! the loudest pump in the world!

you can get the codes yourself with a bent bit of wire and a scrabble in the passenger footwell!

madras
05-02-2008, 05:59 PM
hurrah, someone else discovers the joy of the abs pump!!! the loudest pump in the world!

you can get the codes yourself with a bent bit of wire and a scrabble in the passenger footwell!

but on nsxprime there are no codes for ALB - http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/trouble_codes.htm (http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/trouble_codes.htm)

britlude
05-02-2008, 08:03 PM
that prime link....that's counting the engine check light flashes with the jumper connected... so only refers to the engine 'system'

the other lights on the dash have the same fault finding function with the jumper in place, the lamp giving the code for the appropriate area.... tcs, alb, eps and so on

madras
05-02-2008, 09:17 PM
does anyone have a link for the ALB codes?

britlude
05-02-2008, 09:35 PM
i have a manual.... it's page 19-46 in my manual, should be the same on the online one on prime/dali
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/acura-nsx-service_manual_91/10_brakes.pdf

madras
06-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks. OK took NSX out again and now both the ALB and TCS light are on!

britlude
06-02-2008, 09:51 PM
so there should be codes for both when the jumper link is put in!

madras
07-02-2008, 01:56 AM
ok did this, and both the ALB and TCS give flashes pointing to the right rear speed sensor (4-4). So I removed all the ALB fuses (the two 20A and the 40A) and the restarted - no lights on dash. But error checked before driving and the TCS light remains lit, after going out once - service manual says low voltage to TCS unit or TCS unit at fault, that's it. Drove it for a few miles, checked errors again, same thing, TCS light stays lit, after going out once.

But driving the car neither the TCS or ALB light are on. Maybe I'll take it for a longer drive tomorrow and see.

madras
07-02-2008, 01:57 PM
OK, so started the car today to take it in to Honda and both ALB and TCS came on. Stopped for fuel, restarted, neither came back on again. Stopped again (after another 20miles of driving) performed the error checks and both TCS and ALB give 4-4 codes pointing to rear Right speed sensor, and also engine light gave a 3-6 error which points to the TCFS (traction control something), took it Honda too and they said yes it was the speed sensor so a new one is being fitted. £280 all in, part £190.

I'm going to get the ALB hose and ABS fluid changed too as it's due or overdue. ~£170

The pulsing of the brakes occured again while I was driving even though the lights did not come one. I'm told this is because the speed sensor is not reporting correctly (but does not always give an error) and the ABS is functioning when it shouldn't.

Oh and the ALB hose is changed when the other brake hoses are not as it runs at around 300psi - preventative maintenance.

Thanks for your help everyone!

simonprelude
07-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Is the new sensor in stock, they were on back order recently :(