PDA

View Full Version : Interior update

Senninha
25-01-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm still thinking about making some changes to the interior. If I do then this would certainly be a non-reversible change to the car. To date most changes are reversible to OEM set-up.

If you've seen an early NSX-R, it is finished, IMO, in a truly superb alcantara finish, with red detail stitching to the dash and door cards - see photos.

Several modern cars are now adopting alcantara, together with small pieces of carbon fibre for the interiors. In particular the Aston DBS and Superlagarra. However, the modern look is to have silver stitching rather than red - see additional photos.

My current thinking is to go for the following combo;
- alcantara dash
- alcantara door cards as per NSX-R
- leather seat edges / headrest
- leather inserts to doors (retain leather centre armrest)
- cf console
- cf door switch panels
- cf door sillplates

I'm undecided on the stitching colour. Red as a nod to the NSX-R or silver for the more modern feel. Those that have seen my NSX will know that the car has small red details for the badges, guages and wheels.

With respect to the CF proposal, I'm thinking of a satin finish rather than the usual high gloss. This is mainly due to the angle of the console and potential reflections into the screen. Any thoughts?

I'm interested on peoples views. Should I do this, is my current thinking one that would be appreciated by others. Is it a modification too far? Also, if I go this route then I would seriously consider installing the Recaros at the same time to reduce weight as indeed the alcantara would also deliver weight savings.

regards, Paul

NSXGB
25-01-2008, 10:29 PM
I personally prefer the Silver stitching and the slightly more modern look.

Have you had a quote yet on getting the dash 'Alcantered'?

Senninha
25-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Not a firm quote but an indication as well as a very good chat about the process etc.

I've found a guy that can do the work. Most of his work is restoring Ferraris and Astons or doing the sort of thing I'm thinking of, ie updating an interior. When I met him a few days ago he was completing a boxster upgrade and refurbing a 328.

Its been his principle trade (and his fathers before him) for over 25 yrs.

Interestingly, when I was talking about the job, he suggested he would probably template the job for future reference. I dont know, but would guess that if others are interested then the actual job may cost less if he knows he has repeat orders lined up.

Thanx for the feedback Simon

regards, Paul

NSXGB
25-01-2008, 11:11 PM
What seats are you going for, Pole Positions?

Have you seen these:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99680

Senninha
25-01-2008, 11:22 PM
What seats are you going for, Pole Positions?

Would love the OEM but at silly pricing the Pole Positions are probably favourite (unless Mark fancies swapping his seats ;)). Would probably color match the shells to the body color for that OEM look as wrapping them in CF would cost a fortune!!

regards, Paul

PS, I really dont like that large logo that so many aftermarket seats have. Without it the Brides in th link would look ok.

jaytip
26-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Hi Paul,did you talk possible prices with this guy?Wether you go for red or silver stitching it's going to be a big improvement over stock and one that i would/will do depending on cost.If you intend keeping the car for the forseeable future then i think you should do whatever you think will give you more enjoyment out of the car.
If i'm successful in swapping my car for a LBB or IOP targa,then it will be a keeper for me and i would do whatever mods would give me more owner satisfaction,so i say go for it.:thumbsup:

simonprelude
26-01-2008, 01:21 PM
What about these ??

I know there is the large Recaro logo, but at £368 each you could get them re-trimmed ??

http://www.capitalseating.co.uk/productdetail.asp?pid=208&type=s&appgrpid=16&appid=62&rid=

http://www.capitalseating.co.uk/dbimages/lge225810280504profispg_400.jpg

Recaro fabric available here...

http://www.capitalseating.co.uk/productdetail.asp?pid=334&type=s

Marky
26-01-2008, 02:14 PM
I've been thinking about changing the interior too as the standard one is a little dull. The NSX-R looks great, mainly because of the red Recaro seats. Another advantage, and as you mentioned, they reduce the weight too. They're quite expensive but well worth it and should transform the look of the car. Have a look at the link below for photo's

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/Honda/seats/

Senninha
26-01-2008, 05:31 PM
HI Marky,

I recently sat in Mark's Type S seats and have to say they feel really good. Not unlike the Elise II seats and they were very good when I had that as my daily driver for 20k miles in a year!

As Simon suggests above, the Pole Position's are the closest to OEM which still demand crazy prices on the 2nd hand market. http://www.capitalseating.co.uk/productdetail.asp?pid=207&type=s&appgrpid=16&appid=62&rid= and a touch cheaper at £314 :)

I would be looking to go with the leather sides and alcantara centres

regards, Paul

markc
26-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi Paul,

I think you'll get some take'ers if your trim man makes patterns for the dashboard etc. The question in my mind is where do you stop?

If you do the dash top, you have to do the dash/screen surround, lower dash and glove box, then as you point out you have to do the doors, so far as per the early NSX-R.

IMHO the roof panel needs doing to match which I think is how the early NSX-R comes but what about the bulkhead panel (behind the seats) and map pocket? Personally I'd probably do that as well. I'd probably leave the screen and door pillar trim in plastic.

Seats are fairly easy. The ones in my car (Type-S) are the same as fitted to 964/993 Porsche RS's. A varient of the Recaro Pole Position but with a sort of "web" moulded into the back, presumably for extra strength. Regular PP's have flat backs.

As for stitching I'd probably go with orange in my case to match the existing alcantara seat centres and door inserts :)

Keep us informed, maybe this could turn into group buy?

Cheers

Mark

AR
26-01-2008, 08:21 PM
I echo Mark's comments about where to stop?

I can tell you from first hand experience that Alcantara is not the easiest materials to keep clean. In no time at all rub areas will look shiny.

The rear bulkehead area accumulates a lot of dust hence why in the NA1 NSX-R it was velour material, not Alcantara.

If I was going that way, I would try to get a hold of the matt CF NA1 NSX-R optional window switch area and centre dash.

Then I would retrim the seats as you and Mark suggested, and also do the doorcards in Alcantara.

I would not want the headche of the dash.

Imagine the Damage that the sun can do to it! I am sure all of us have seen the odd ferrari F355 with the shrinking dash. How about the door cards with the inevitable British Weather???

You have a unique car, very tatstefuly modified the OEM route.

Having had an NA1 NSX-R with one of such interiors I can honestly tell you that I could not recommend it as an upgrade as it is beautiful, but really hard work to keep clean.

But if money is no object why not!

Cheers,

AR

jaytip
26-01-2008, 11:47 PM
I echo Mark's comments about where to stop?

I can tell you from first hand experience that Alcantara is not the easiest materials to keep clean. In no time at all rub areas will look shiny.

The rear bulkehead area accumulates a lot of dust hence why in the NA1 NSX-R it was velour material, not Alcantara.

If I was going that way, I would try to get a hold of the matt CF NA1 NSX-R optional window switch area and centre dash.

Then I would retrim the seats as you and Mark suggested, and also do the doorcards in Alcantara.

Imagine the Damage that the sun can do to it! I am sure all of us have seen the odd ferrari F355 with the shrinking dash. How about the door cards with the inevitable British Weather???

Having had an NA1 NSX-R with one of such interiors I can honestly tell you that I could not recommend it as an upgrade as it is beautiful, but really hard work to keep clean.

But if money is no object why not!

Cheers,

AR
So the question i ask is why so many new sportscars use it.Maybe the material is made a lot better now than it was 15 years ago.

Senninha
27-01-2008, 11:08 PM

Cheers,

AR

AS Ivor points out, if its a problem then why are so many using it now?

Talking to the trim guy, a leather dash will cause you more problems. He had a leather covered F car that didn't look good. The problem being that leather will breath and absorb moisture, so will apear to go loose in damp winter months, yet can stretch tight in the dry hot summer.

Alcantara, the original Italian made product (there are 2 or 3 imitations that are regularly used) does not suffer as above. In most cases a damp cloth/sponge will keep the finish 'shine' free. Also, we are not talking about daily drivers full of Mac's wrappers or coffee cups so accidents are less likely.

Given the age of the NSX-R interior and that I'm yet to see one showing any serious signs of wear, I'd suggest Honda used the real stuff. If I get the same levels of wear and tear then I'll be very happy.

regards, Paul

AR
27-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Paul and Ivor,

Why are they using it? For quite a few reasons:

It looks good.

It makes the car have a "motorsports look" about it.

The type of customer that will purchase those cars will either just keepp it for a couple of years or use the car on weekends only.

Even the real stuff will be affected by the shine, the dust marks, the coffee stain, the uncotrollable sneeze or cough, etc...

Senninha
27-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Paul and Ivor,

Why are they using it? For quite a few reasons:

You missed the main one Ary, its lighter than leather. Its usually only used as standard in these manufactureres light weight specials, like those I mention in the opening post.

Regards, Paul

PS - I'm beginning to wonder what you do in your NSX Ary, with all those different potential stains ;)

AR
27-01-2008, 11:45 PM
You missed the main one Ary, its lighter than leather. Its usually only used as standard in these manufactureres light weight specials, like those I mention in the opening post.

Regards, Paul

PS - I'm beginning to wonder what you do in your NSX Ary, with all those different potential stains ;)

Well you should have seen the Pick Up truck I used to live in for a while...

Paul,

I understand that Alcantara is lighter and will grip the driver, but for the dash it will be pain in the neck.

For some reason, venturi perhaps, the NSX dash gets covered in crap when driving with the windows open.

Cleaning the windscreen will be harder.

I just feel is more pain than gain, but it looks good, better than leather and better than plastic.

Cheers,

Ary

Kevin
28-01-2008, 07:54 AM
So how does one go about getting the dash re-trimmed like this? Does it get removed completely? Does the current vinyl get stripped off?

I like the idea of something more 'luxurious'. Has anyone seen "Kane's" car on NSX Prime? His interior has be retrimmed, in brown and cream colours. The door panels sewn into a diamond pattern which I think looks really good, like some expensive supercars.

The dash material of our Accord may be a good compromise to those that think Alcantara would not be that good. It's a matte 'rubbery' kind of material. It's soft to the touch, but wipes clean. It doesn't look like leather, and doesn't pretend to be either. If only the NSX used it.

dan the man
28-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Does doing the dash not stop sun glare?

As where i sit and where the sun hits the leather shows on the screen everytime :(

jaytip
28-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I like the idea of something more 'luxurious'. Has anyone seen "Kane's" car on NSX Prime? His interior has be retrimmed, in brown and cream colours. The door panels sewn into a diamond pattern which I think looks really good, like some expensive supercars.

And in case this chap that Paul knows can't sort something out,i have read on one of Kane's posts that he can do right hand versions as well.Although i think it would be expensive for the whole shooting match.

Rob_Fenn
28-01-2008, 10:24 AM
The interior work Ravi does on Prime is pretty damn impressive. For my tastes some is a bit OTT but i really like the plans.

I'd be scared to sit in the car though lol.

markc
28-01-2008, 10:49 AM
The Automotive section of their (Alcantara) website's quite fun...
http://www.alcantara.com/en/experience/applicazioni/automotive/automotive.shtml

Checkout the Lambo section in particular for inspiration. In fact I think they copied Kane's NSX for the Revention :)

They also have maintenance/cleaning instructions and products here...
http://www.alcantara.com/en/experience/manutenzione/manutenzione.shtml

As Ary points out it might be a bit hard work (to maintain) on a daily driver but if your's isn't (a daily driver) it should be fine.

If it wasn't horribly expensive I'd go for the full dash/door/roof/bulkhead option. I'd keep my leather seat sides though as they (the top edges) are what take most of the wear as you slide/rub them with your ar$e as you get in and out. I'd also keep the steering wheel (Momo Tuner), door and centre arm rests as is ie plastic/leatherette, or recover them in leather so that the seat sides aren't the only non Alcantara surface.

Do you have any figures (£££'s) from your man yet Paul?

Mark

AR
28-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Have a look at this conversion.

Here you can see how the rear bulkhead looks like once recovered in Suede:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=934518&postcount=42

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
28-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Does doing the dash not stop sun glare?

As where i sit and where the sun hits the leather shows on the screen everytime :(

Hi Dan,

Yes, having the dash recovered would do away with the awful reflections the current dash throws onto the screen. I've managed to matt the dash with various cleaners as previous owners seemed to have a love of silicon :eek: which just makes the problem worse.

Kevin,

In my first post there is a photo from one of Kane's conversions, the dark grey with silver stitching option. When I spoke to the trim guy last week, he said that depending on what/how the OEM dash is covered, it would most likely be stripped bare to ensure an OEM quality finish to the new trim. I'm told that the dash is a fairly straight forward removal and refit. Is this a job you have previously completed?

Mark,

If I do this I would most likely chasnge out the seats to Recaro PP's and trim as in the Type S with the leather bolsters. Then to keep some leather would retain the centre armrest and the door inserts.

Ary,

The bulkhead panel is a large area to do but probably not overly complicated. The headlining is also fairly straightforward.

All,

Due to the interest this has generated I will take my NSX and discuss the options / costs / timescales involved, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I'll share details once I have them.

dan the man
28-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Id alcantara the whole lot(bar rear of seats) and get covers for the seats for genral use.

My DC5 seats were like new even when i sold it and the red alcantara as we know can go downright dirty. But with a bit of care can be kept A1.

Nothing else will look as oem and good as an NA1 R which is all covered- imo.