PDA

View Full Version : Targa Vs Hard Top

dobbiej
05-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and am thinking of getting one of these amazing cars and I've got a couple of questions regarding targa's and hard tops.

1) Is it true the targa's do not handle as well with the roof off?
2) With the panel back in place, does the car handle as well as a hard top?
3) Values - Which holds value better targa or hard top?

Cheers,

Jeff

Paul
05-03-2005, 10:10 PM
I can't answer any of your questions, but whenever you decide to buy a convertable, or a car with a removable roof, you must either;
A. Garage it and only take it out in fine weather, or
B. When you view it, take it out in the rain!

I know that there are plenty of Targa Top cars that are prone to leaks, but I'm not sure if the NSX Targas' are reknowned for leaks. Maybe someone on here can let you know, or at least give you some indicators that you can look out for when you go viewing examples that you are looking at.

Happy NSX hunting ... I don't need to wish you happy driving should you buy an NSX ... if you're interested in owning an NSX ... happy driving is guaranteed!

BrownBear
06-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Here's my view FWIW

Hmm - almost certainly is true, although whether you'll be able to find the difference on the road is another matter - I know I can't (but that isn't saying much). I think there are so many other variables in the equation (ie: Tyres/suspension/PAS etc) - for a track car though, go for the Coupe..

Er - no, theoretically. The panel does stop some flexing but it's not an integral part of the car like the roof on a coupe would be. So I guess the T would flex more which may translate into poorer handling.

I don't think it makes that much of a difference, to be honest. I'd say a Targa is slightly less desirable, but not that it makes a massive difference in prices (~1K?). I think there's a much more pronounced difference between Autos and Manuals, for example (Autos worth less).

I know this may not have helped greatly, but it does depend on what you want the car for (IMO). If its not a track car, I'd bet few could notice the difference between a Targa and a Coupe on the Road (where the roof style is the only difference).

HTH
Joe

Flinty
06-03-2005, 09:35 PM
I own a 96 Targa and comment from recent experience (including 120 mile 'brisk' run today with 5 NSX coupes)

Yes, the coupe handles better on bumpy B roads. When driving hard with the targa panel off, there is some scuttle wobble, but it doesn't judder. You get this in any convertible, in varying degrees, even purpose built ragtops like TVR's.

In the real world, it is not a handicap and you are still in an extremely capable car with handling limits that are still easy to read. The coupe is just more composed i guess. This mornings A roads were a genuine pleasure and apart from the cold ears (!), you wouldnt honestly know the difference.

Yes, it's a better drive on bumpy Roads with the Targa panel in place.

Personally, i say buy a Targa, unless you're looking purely for trackday thrills. As an occasional/second car, the NSX T is just as quick and it ticks all the boxes. If you're a bit of a poser, put it this way, the Targa looks as good as a coupe with the roof on, and roofless - it's almost uniquely stunning 8)

Buy one....

Flinty
06-03-2005, 09:42 PM
P.S. Mine lives outside currently and is completely leak free. Even when getting a jetwash. Not a drop.

In my experience, TVR roofs really leak, Fords leak, MR2 T Bars leak, MG's really really leak, even BMW M's leak. The Honda wins so far.

Buy one...

Paul
06-03-2005, 10:01 PM
P.S. Mine lives outside currently and is completely leak free. Even when getting a jetwash. Not a drop.

In my experience, TVR roofs really leak, Fords leak, MR2 T Bars leak, MG's really really leak, even BMW M's leak. The Honda wins so far.

Buy one... I guess that answers that one then ... nice to see a Targa up close ... only ever seen them in magazines and on the web ... glad I had a roof today though ... ;-)

Clive
09-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and am thinking of getting one of these amazing cars and I've got a couple of questions regarding targa's and hard tops.

Cheers,

Jeff

Having had both a Coupe and NSX-T, I can confirm categorically that the T is significantly the poorer in terms of handling and composure. My 3.0 coupe was substantially more planted and did not suffer from minor flexing, shimmying, and general unpleasantness. Regretably, the T (a 3.2 6-speed) did, particularly on B-roads (and frankly these are the only public roads you can have fun on these days). And this was with the roof fitted. Off, it was obviously worse.

Although I think they look quite cute, the reduction from one of the finest driving cars on the planet to something less seems to defeat the object. A T is only worth it if you live in the city and and want to boulevard. But at least they are better than autos.....

Clive
8)