View Full Version : What embarrasses' you about the NSX?

jaytip
07-01-2008, 05:06 PM
For me it has to be the stupid ariel and the crap horn.I'm going to fit an S2000 arial to the car again as i did to my first NSX.I know the smartenna is an option but i listen to the radio more than i listen to CD's,and as for the horn,man that has got to go.I'm going to put an Audi horn on it.

Senninha
07-01-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm going to put an Audi horn on it.
Why Audi? Is it the tone? IS this a plug and play swap Ivor?

Interesting new avatar ...

regards, Paul

AR
07-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I have an Air horn yet to be fitted to mine I have one on one of the Landcruisers, and it scares the s... out of people. I rarely use the horn, I am more of a hand signals type of guy!

Milkybar
07-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Why the S2000 ariel over the Smartenna, my ariel has packed up so I need to replace mine aswell?

gumball
07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
The horn?, i've never heard mine, don't think i've ever tooted anybody before:D.
Not embarrassing but, when "uneducated" people look dissapointed when they get close-up and see it's not a Ferrari.

NSXGB
07-01-2008, 06:08 PM
....I thought the horn was pretty good, I use mine a lot + hand signals.:)

Only thing embarrasing thing I find is that I can't out drag my mates Gallardo.

britlude
07-01-2008, 06:17 PM
the first thing I changed on the car when I got it was the pathetic twin horns, a pair of hi-lo's takes care of that now!!

THE most embarrassing thing about the car is the world's loudest ABS pump

dan the man
07-01-2008, 06:36 PM
all honda horns are ghay :) just how it is !

(well ok new ones arnt as bad)

For me Im embarrassed by the fact i could drift my FWD cars more... lol

AR
07-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I am embarassed that I don't get to drive it as much as I should.

Too much time posting!

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
07-01-2008, 07:15 PM
....Only thing embarrasing thing I find is that I can't out drag my mates Gallardo.

You should of bought the NSX-R Simon ;)

Senninha
07-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Why the S2000 ariel over the Smartenna, my ariel has packed up so I need to replace mine aswell?

Hello and welcome to Milkybar ....

Many have used the S2k aerial as it is fixed, low and actually looks good on the NSX. The smartenna will only drop the OEM aerial when the CD is in use (if you're not aware already)

Hope you intro you and your NSX soon. If you're interested, keep an eye on the events forum for one of the fairly regular Basingstoke meets.

regards, Paul

mart155
07-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Embarrassed at owning an NSX ????? Get outa here! :D
Although if had to pick something then it would have to be the puny horn and the ABS accumulator pump.

amo
07-01-2008, 08:14 PM
lol yes its the horn for me as well

thx amo

jaytip
07-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Why Audi? Is it the tone? IS this a plug and play swap Ivor?

Interesting new avatar ...

regards, Paul
Yes Paul,it will be for the tone.not sure if it's plug or play or not to be honest,sure hope so.
The avatar was the result of me messing about with the photos below

jaytip
07-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi mate.I put the S2000 arial on my first NSX and i think it looked pretty good.What do you think,oh and welcome to the board.

jaytip
07-01-2008, 08:51 PM
the first thing I changed on the car when I got it was the pathetic twin horns, a pair of hi-lo's takes care of that now!!

THE most embarrassing thing about the car is the world's loudest ABS pump
You know i completely forgot about the ABS pump.I guess it's because it only used to trigger on the first NSX i had,but Yeah you are right.People hear this loud noise and turn around to see what it is only to see its coming from a low slung exotic looking sports car.Now THAT is embarrassing :redface:

dan the man
07-01-2008, 08:57 PM
s1k ariel looks good imo

NSX 2000
07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
....I thought the horn was pretty good, I use mine a lot + hand signals.:)

Only thing embarrasing thing I find is that I can't out drag my mates Gallardo.

Simon, just let his tyres down first :bigsmile::bigsmile:

With regards to being embarrassed, nothing really, maybe if I had to fit the spare wheel and do 50 on the inside lane, but then so many new cars come with space savers, but I still hate them :beatdown:

NSX 2000
07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
s1k ariel looks good imo

I didn't know Honda made an S1000 :laugh::laugh::laugh:

howellr
07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Happy New Year everyone.

The horn is defintely the naff bit - even my horn on my first Fiat 500 was more manley.

...just cruising along and you pass two smart looking ladies, you toot, and they just laugh at your noise ! I bet a Ferarri has a better horn.

Rgds

markc
07-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Embarrssing is a bit stong but I think they're... A) under wheel and tyre'd by modern standards ie too small and set too far into the arches, and B) the brakes don't look much (especially when the calipers are rusty). Ohh and if you fit wheels to overcome problem A, you exasperate problem B!

I do sometimes get all self concious and think I must look like the "oldest swinger in town" driving my car but that probably more to do with the fact that I am indeed old :( (the colour doesn't help)

I don't like the aerial either so mine wears and S2000 style one and I agree with Gumball about the horn, I never use it.

Mark

Lankstarr
07-01-2008, 11:41 PM
The badge really embarasses me...

TheSebringOne
08-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Why be embarrest about anything on the NSX! It serves its purpose! The only thing that I may change are the rear lights to 02+ and maybe 02+ rear bumper/valance. Me never beep as discreet, smooth and quick, plus I get respect when shes out! Oh I've pulled the plug on the ariel as only listen to the CD and that V6! :D She has a nice smooth rear now! :laugh:

Senninha
08-01-2008, 01:33 AM

You should of kept the H instead of the Star Trek one then :laugh:

WhyOne?
08-01-2008, 08:47 AM

Really?!?

I like the fact that it's a Honda....and it confuses the hell out of so many people.

If the NSX had a prancing horse or a sheild on the front, it would be common as muck.

NSXGB
08-01-2008, 10:43 AM
You should of bought the NSX-R Simon ;)

....I don't even think it would unfortunately...but I would have liked to try.

+1 for the ABS pump. Does not come on much but always at a most inappropriate time.

Steveycaz
08-01-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm proud of my NSX :proud:!

Mine is a 1991 and I'm not aware of the ABS pump noise. can someone explain what the noise is and where it comes from?

TheSebringOne
08-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Totally agree 100%, with H badge confusing the masses except those in the know who gives our cars respect its due.

gsuds
08-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Really?!?

I like the fact that it's a Honda....and it confuses the hell out of so many people.

If the NSX had a prancing horse or a sheild on the front, it would be common as muck.

Think Luke was being tongue-in-cheek...;)

WhyOne?
08-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Ah!

I did wonder.

It was the lack of 'tounge-in-cheek' smilies which confused me :(

britlude
08-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm proud of my NSX :proud:!

Mine is a 1991 and I'm not aware of the ABS pump noise. can someone explain what the noise is and where it comes from?

find a quiet wet road and stand on the brakes a few times to get the abs working (you're supposed to do this anyway to stop the solenoids sticking!)

then listen for the sweet clatter from under the bonnet....

Senninha
08-01-2008, 05:57 PM
then listen for the sweet clatter from under the bonnet....
I dont get a clatter, more of a chirping noise if the car has been un-used for any period. I believe its the pump just pressurising itself .... I hope.

regards, Paul

Papalazarou
08-01-2008, 06:10 PM
I can't think of anything really. However, the other day I had two comments about the car.

The first was from an elderly lady very well spoken, driving a 4WD and wearing a puffer jacket with a fox and hound. She asked me whether it was a "Dax samara" which from my little knowledge of kit cars is some shocking thing made out of slabs of GRP.

The second comment, on the same day asked me whether it was a kit car!

Two things come to mind.

1, involuntary euthanasia could be acceptable in some instances

and

2. Perhaps LBB NSX's do actually look like kit cars!

Still thinking this one over.

I guess it could have been worse, they could have been asking me about floor mats and test pipes.

Cheers,

James.

TheSebringOne
08-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Mine has chirping sound like yours Paul. When I go for drive and its been locked in the garage for weeks, I try to remember to hit the brakes as a stuck selonoid on a NSX is probably about more than 2K!:eek: My failed on my old Prelude, HUK wanted 1500!, got one for 80 from Japanese car spares! Remember, think ABS if not driving yours that often! :)

TheSebringOne
08-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Further to Papa's comments, either the masses are clueless about special cars like ours and annoy us in the process OR they are knowledgable petrol heads, who smile or nod to give our cars some respect! :)

Midnight Blue
09-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Sorry to get a bit "Off topic" here but as a new NSX owner, could you please explain the ABS sticking comment? Do I understand correctly that I have to regularly brake hard enough get the ABS working regularly to protect against expensive failure?

Cheers,

Andy

Lankstarr
09-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Really?!?

Come on now Ian... surely you know me better than that!

A tip for all you badge snobs:

After making the star trak upgrade demonstrated by Paul you can hide the NSX decals on the doors with a black permanent marker.

The Honda logo in the rear light is a bit more tricky; the most effective way to remove this is with a hammer - I couldn't find any Toyota stickers big enough to cover it up.

WhyOne?
09-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Come on now Ian... surely you know me better than that!

Yes.......sorry Luke....it was early....very early....pre-1st coffee of the day early when I posted!

britlude
09-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Sorry to get a bit "Off topic" here but as a new NSX owner, could you please explain the ABS sticking comment? Do I understand correctly that I have to regularly brake hard enough get the ABS working regularly to protect against expensive failure?

Cheers,

Andy

it is advised to exercise the ABS once in a while, just to get the solenoids working a bit... anywhere slippy will do... wet road, grass, sand, leaves, whatever!

mine sounds very similar to the spare wheel compressor running.

mutley
10-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Well for me, I don't like the mirrors, far too big and stick out way too far, the rear ariel, well I'll be getting shot of that soon enough too, erm what else??? wheels too small on the '91, so that's an upgrade to come too.

Jim