PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for a plate?

Silver Surfer
02-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Saw this on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-NSX-number-plate_W0QQitemZ220187847039QQihZ012QQcategoryZ1038 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would anybody pay this much to have NSX on their plate? :no:

SS

jaytip
02-01-2008, 03:28 AM
I would never pay it.I let NSX 18P go with my last NSX.

Senninha
02-01-2008, 09:36 AM
http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/searchs/easyview.asp?criteria=NSX&fc=nsx

Check out this selection from only £189 if you really want one.

I notice that K8 NSX is lsited by DVLA ... I thought I saw this plate on an NSX only recently??

regards, Paul

simonprelude
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Have been offered that plate a few times infact most times I have seen the car at Santa Pod.

It's currently on an auto NSX with NOS :)

simonprelude
02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
K8NSX is still on a black NSX (1995 car, imported 1999) but currently has no tax ??

AR
02-01-2008, 02:07 PM
FWIW my plate T1 NSX was valued at £ 1500 and I can get half that if I sell it straight. I think with mine is the fact that it can be use as TIN or TINS X or TIN SX.

Cheers,

AR

nomis
02-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Start my posting history with a potentially contentious point ;)

...but aren't 'car name' plates a little old-hat? :unsure:

I've never seen the point of them: M3 plates on M3s, X5 plates on X5s, NSX plates on an NSX... surely the car already has a badge, do you need a yellow and white reflective one, with 3" black lettering, on the front and the back of the car as well?

We all have different tastes but even from a cost perspective, a plate that means something to you (and isn't car model/type specific) is a better idea? At least with this you can transfer the plate with you and move it to another vehicle that isn't an NSX, etc?

(Disclaimer - I am very sarcastic and do not mean to offend, although I do stand by what I said above and am not trying to be a troll :laugh: )

simonprelude
02-01-2008, 03:55 PM
I think a lot of cars came with an NSX plate from the dealer.

If my car didn't have the heritage with the plate it has, I would have probably got an NSX plate for it by now. Not a P reg one though, I think it's nice to be able to disguise the age of the car with the plate as having a 10+ year old car is fine, but it's also nice to keep people guessing. I certainly wouldn'y pay more than the DVLA standard price though, there are plenty out there that aren't ££'s to stop anyone ever getting rich.

S2000 plates are a similar vain, however there are around 800 (counting S200Oxx as well as S200Dxx and a few other variations) and thousands of cars meaning that people think they can get ££'s for them. Hence why my S2000 still wears it's original plate.

AR
02-01-2008, 04:01 PM

All my previous NSX came with private plates.

Another plus is that at least IMO the less spaces the better the plate loos.

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
02-01-2008, 04:14 PM

I certainly wouldn'y pay more than the DVLA standard price though, there are plenty out there that aren't ££'s to stop anyone ever getting rich.

I was fortunate that S2 NSX was on the car and the car is well known by its plate. It is also significant for me as it is the Senninha designation recognised by the Senna foundation. If the NSX is ever sold, the plate would stay with it.

Nomis, welcome and I hope you can strike a deal soon, its a good car that you're interested in and you wont have to buy a plate ;)

regards, Paul

nomis
02-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Nomis, welcome and I hope you can strike a deal soon, its a good car that you're interested in and you wont have to buy a plate ;)

regards, Paul

I think you can disguise the age of the car without having to opt for an NSX plate (playing the devils advocate! ;) )

For instance I have two plates bought from the DVLA (cheapest route imho), that are non-car specific but are pretty funky if you're a petrolhead. It's fun to think up something that takes a little while to figure out... something different.

And, Paul, thanks for the welcome! I avoided the 'Hey, I'm new!' post as these probably get a little dull after awhile :D

simonprelude
02-01-2008, 05:01 PM
To be honest we don't get that many ;)

And, Paul, thanks for the welcome! I avoided the 'Hey, I'm new!' post as these probably get a little dull after awhile :D

nomis
02-01-2008, 05:04 PM
If you want me to start one, just so we can have something to chat about... ;)

jaytip
02-01-2008, 06:10 PM
regarding an NSX plate for the NSX.There is very little badging on the NSX to tell sombody unfamiliar with the car what it is.So i don't think it's a bad idea for our cars.

Silver Surfer
02-01-2008, 06:40 PM
regarding an NSX plate for the NSX.There is very little badging on the NSX to tell sombody unfamiliar with the car what it is.So i don't think it's a bad idea for our cars.

For £3k, I'll rather keep them guessing!..:laugh:;)

SS

mart155
02-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Saw this a few days ago, all I could think was :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nothing wrong with a private plate but that one is WAY too expensive.

jaytip
02-01-2008, 10:04 PM
For £3k, I'll rather keep them guessing!..:laugh:;)

SS
Ah, but you don't have to pay 3K you can get one for circa £300

gsuds
03-01-2008, 10:25 AM
NSX is a standard letter arrangement for my locality (Edinburgh) - so my NSX plate doesn't seem very special amongst the Citroen ZX / Renault Laguna / whatever other cars I see with an NSX plate around me!!:rolleyes:

K2NSX :)

TheSebringOne
03-01-2008, 11:11 PM
I think anything with NSX in most combo will not be worth more than 1k, unless its NSX 1 OR 1 NSX (like any 3 letters & 1 number) since the cars are rare, some people don't want a NSX plate to tell people what they are driving and some have private reg with own name or initial. Also depends on what the market willing to pay and if you can make name out of NSX!

Andy
04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I have a non age related (pre 1963) plate on my NSX. Since the car is 16 years old and looks much younger I think it is nice to disguise her age. I paid £500.

Most of the NSXs I have seen either have NSX or pre 63 plates' so I guess most people think likewise.

Andy

TheSebringOne
04-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Great idea if you're not really bothered about the reg, apart from keeping punters guessing! Pre 1963 plates for 500 squids, sounds cheap?! How long have you had this plate? decades?

AR
05-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Great idea if you're not really bothered about the reg, apart from keeping punters guessing! Pre 1963 plates for 500 squids, sounds cheap?! How long have you had this plate? decades?

I got the perfect plate for your car! :)

TheSebringOne
05-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Perfect plate Ary!? Please tell ! :)

AR
05-01-2008, 03:24 PM
T1 NSX

Perfect plate for a T Reg NSX.

Steve
22-01-2008, 12:40 AM
MY Car came with N30 NSX Guy said it was worth 2K but told him I did not want it and got it for nothing!!!

sportyking
24-01-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't really understand this "disguise the age" thing but I have seen first hand that it's one of the first things "normal" people look at. I remember the first day I brought my spanking new S2000 home my neighbour came out and said lovely car/colour, it doesn't look its age. Then I pointed out it was wearing the same number plate as my previous S2000 (different colour) and the car was in fact brand new. He was then a bit confused for a while but eventually questioned my logic in putting a six year old plate on a new car.

Admittedly at that time, fresh from the dealer the plate had legal spacings, but for a year previously my old car had been parked outside with incorrectly spaced plates and he had never twigged the link between car and plate.

I think car related plates are a bit of fun but would never pay more than the DVLA going rate for them, nor would I normally remove a car related plate to sell on as I feel they belong to the car, not me. The second car went to a dealer and he asked if I wanted to keep the plate, even though the NSX was supplied with a much better one, which it continues to wear with its new owner.

Proper car enthusiasts will never be prevented from knowing the age of a car by different plates anyway, and who really cares what non-enthusiasts think?