PDA

View Full Version : N5XTS write off

Lankstarr
22-12-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm sure this car looks familiar:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-Honda-NSX-3-0-manual-Yellow-DAMAGED_W0QQitemZ370008058721QQihZ024QQcategoryZ18 206QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not nice to see but maybe repairable. Look long and hard if you're driving your NSX in these conditions; we lose 1-2 every year as soon as it gets slippy:(

Take care all - and if the owner sees this post I hope you're OK.

L*

TheSebringOne
22-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Take care out there when its cold and un-gritted! I wander how much to bring this one back on the road? 5 to 10 K? 2 rear wings, bumper, inner bumper beam, light clusters, lower valance, exhaust or just tips? and whether the rear of the car needs re-jigging. Also seems the rear suspension ok? but not sure about o/s? Also I wander would this classed as Cat D and whether the insurers have written this off?

Rob_Fenn
22-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Yes, at least a CAT D. So really you may as well buy Dan's because when it's fixed it will cost the same, yet harder to sell on in the future.

sportyking
22-12-2007, 10:17 PM
This was well documented on here, it was in the summer and nothing to do with slippery conditions. A foreign truck pulled out on him and punted him into the centre reservation of the M25. Possible blind spot incident or just plain lack of observation, it's clear kevin (former owner) was almost past the truck as it caught the last 18 inches of his n/s/r wing.

Unfortunately no matter how well you treat them someone is always out to get you on these crowded roads. Looks like it can be a cost effective repair using cheap spares but it will never be the car it was previously, if only from a " it's been repaired" type of perspective

simonprelude
23-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Could be used as a track car by someone, however around £5k overpriced, repairs will run to at least £10k if done properly, then the car will be worth around £15k if it is a Cat C/D.

kevinpsw
23-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Yes, it used to be mine. Ritchie was almost right in his description of the accident, it was the hard shoulder crash barrier that I was spun into.

Chiswick Honda quoted £28,500 for repairs of which, if I remember correctly, over £19k was parts. Actually, I think many of the parts quoted for could be repaired thereby saving thousands, just for example, the boot lid.

If there is a front damaged car out there with good condition rear panels and offside suspension assembly available at good prices then I'm sure N5XTS could live again for well less than £10k. However, as an insurance write off, its resale value would be <£15k. I therefore reckon it'll end up becoming an excellent source of parts.

It does make me a little sad to see it again.

nsxdelorean
10-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi , I am new to the nsx site and currently looking for a car, I have noticed the damaged car on ebay and going to investigate the parts actually needed to repair it, if anyone has the of side rear parts used please contact me on leestella@ blueyonder.co.uk or I would be grateful for any advice or criticism anyone has on the subject of this car. Would be great if I could get to speak somehow with the original owner Kevin about the cars preaccident history.
Regards Lee

AR
10-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi Lee and welcome,

For the most part, due to the limited supply of cars,parts and labour, repairing a written off NSX is usually more of a labour of love than a bargain.

The owner is still active on the board and the car sounds like it was a nice example before the crash.

One way to go about it, is to go for wide body parts. A practice common in Japan and America when repairing crash vehicles as it will be cheaper than OEM.

Good luck,

AR

Rob_Fenn
11-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Yeah, buy from the US and you can have full replacement after market panels (even in carbon kevlar) for under £5k. It's just whether you are into after market bits or you want a standard looking car...

Boomin33
11-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Could be used as a track car by someone, however around £5k overpriced, repairs will run to at least £10k if done properly, then the car will be worth around £15k if it is a Cat C/D.

I emailed the guy a few weeks ago and said that--- though he might sell tomorrow... could be a difficult shift; maybe better to part out for maximum return on his investment. Offered him £6K for it as it stood?

He said that he had a lot of interest and that he expected to get the £10 - £11K

paulius
11-01-2008, 06:41 PM
The Yellow Nsx Could Be A Good Project Or Even A Cheap Example To Have After Its Repaired.just You Have To Buy It For A Right Price.my One Had Much Bigger Accident And Now Is Back On The Road Without Probs.

Silver Surfer
11-01-2008, 07:11 PM
paulius,

Any pics?

SS

paulius
11-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Sorry Mate But Dont Have Any Photos Left.they Gone With My Lost Camera.but You Could Have A Look To Forums History Back To 30.01.2007. Called,,another Smashed Nsx,,lhd In Charlote Green.just Dont Know How To Attach Them To Reply.on These Photos Not Clearly Seen But My Nsx Had Same Damage To The Rear Too.

Silver Surfer
11-01-2008, 09:26 PM
nO, wORRIES!,

hOW mUCH dID iT cOST yOU tO dO tHE jOB tO gET iT bACK oN tHE rOAD?

SS

kevinpsw
11-01-2008, 09:29 PM
N5XTS had a fully stamped service book and receipts to prove change of cambelt, EPS and clutch at around 60k miles in 2004. As far as I know, it had no mechanical faults whatsoever and, bar a few stone chips at the front, the bodywork was perfect before the accident. All the paperwork was sent to my insurer so it must exist somewhere. The car was standard apart from a £800 DAB stereo that replaced the Bose along with a Dali replacement console sprayed black to match the interior. No CD changer though.

I was very proud of that car and I hope that someone takes it on for repairs.

paulius
11-01-2008, 11:25 PM
The Job And Parts About 4k.in Total.i Was Looking And Thinking About The Yellow One But Problem Is It Is In Wrong Salvage.these Guys Is Little Chance Will Let This Car Go For Right Price.and I Dont Realy Think They Know A Lot About How Realy Special Nsxs Is.but Hopefully Somebody Will Buy It,fix It And Will Be Back On The Road Soon.never Know It Might Even Me.

nsxdelorean
12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi All, Just to update , I have purchased the yellow N5XTS car, I had a haggle with the Salvage guys and got a rear quarter with it but if anyone has some parts they could sell me from the back end of one of these it would be a great help. I have brought it for myself and plan to fix it properly but not for profit reasons so hopefully its the best route for the car rather than a parts car or a car sales getting it to do. If anyone could put me in touch with the previous owner or let him know I know have it I would be grateful purely to just fill me in on any history as the car is now up in Kent,
Best regards Nsx Owners out there
Lee

kevinpsw
12-01-2008, 09:14 PM
The previous owner would be me. Have a look around this site and you'll be able to find a number of posts on N5XTS, and not just this thread. If you have any Qs remaining, just drop me a PM. Although Chiswick Honda wanted £28.5k to put it back on the road as it was, I'm sure that it can be done for well less than £10k; but you probably know that or you wouldn't have bought it.

I would have bought it myself but I had to have a car to get to work and I chose a Porsche instead. Good luck with the project and do post pictures of the finished job.

nsxdelorean
12-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi Kevin, Just sold my old 911 to buy this one, The salvage guys gave me the service book which I think you sent to them, just wondered if you had any spare keys or the stereo head, or they may have lost them. At the moment the car needs to be hot wired to the solenoid to bypass the demobizer I think, They gave me a card with anumber , but they were not too sure how to enter the Toad number in, Any help in advice would be gratefully appreciated. Must have been a bit of a bad experience getting in that accident so i'll try not to remind you of it , best put in the past, What type of porsche did you get , I am good friend with the guys down at Paragon so get to work on a few bits now and again as I am in the car triiming trade.

Best regards
Lee Pattison

kevinpsw
12-01-2008, 09:56 PM
I sent everything to Eagle Red Star. The Toad alarm code and its instruction book, the second key, the security chip for the DAB stereo and a bunch of receipts to support the stamped service book. The car was collected by the salvage team with the stereo face on so heaven knows where it has gone since if the slavage yard haven't got it now; shame as it was a £300+ head unit. The number is what you have to put in for the alarm system, perhaps by turning the ignition on and off, but I can't remember how it's done. I'm sure that Toad's website will have manauls you can download or any decent car security/stereo expert will know.

Post me your address by PM and I'll send you a copy of the big (£3.2k) bill for the clutch etc in 2004. I might have the manual for the head unit somewhere but it'll be of no use without the face of the head unit.

Oh yes, I bought a Boxster S. I made the mistake of explaining the decision I had made on this site and was taken aback by the aggressive nature of some of the posts it attracted. You'd think I'd said the NSX was crap. The NSX is in fact better than a Boxster S but then it should be as it costs quite a bit more. If you had a 996 then your new car will be almost as good but much more of a head turner and a conversation piece. If you had an earlier 911 then I would say the NSX is the better car. I'll return to the NSX world when I can afford a 2002+ model. In the meantime, I am looking forward to better weather and having a car with a top down again.

Senninha
12-01-2008, 11:20 PM
HI Lee,

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the project. From memory thats a nice NSX you've bought, and hopefully will be again in the not too distant future.

For parts you could try either Amo via this thread http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=2974 or maybe Dirk via this thread http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=483

I've bought from both and will happily recommend both guys.

HTH.

You say you are based in Kent and run(?) a trimming business. Is this trade related on more for the home market? Interested to know more please.

BTW, there is a lot of knowledge about these cars by many of the members here, so feel free to ask Q's as your project gets going. Maybe kick off your own thread to keep all info in one place and to keep us updated with progress? I for one would be interested to see how you tackle such a large project if you dont mind sharing?

regards, Paul

paulius
13-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Thats good.Another nsx will go back on the road.If is not a secret for how much you got this nsx from that s..ty salvage.Sorry for my language but this salvage is not the easy one to let the cars like nsx go for little price.

dan the man
13-01-2008, 02:56 PM
I have 2 rear lights for sale. One very good condition, other cracked on the top but could be a make do whhile you source another good side etc if u want it on the road.

RH side- good condition.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/DTMDC5K20/DSC00003.jpg

LH side- poorer condition#
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/DTMDC5K20/DSC00008.jpg

all the best with the car