PDA

View Full Version : Bad condensation

mart155
12-12-2007, 10:31 PM
With this recent wet and now cold weather, I am having a really bad condensation problem on the inside of the windscreen and side windows. And I mean really bad.
It is so bad, I am wondering if I am getting water into the car somewhere. I have had a quick feel round the carpet but there are no obvious wet areas.

Are there any areas that are known to let water in to the cabin area.
Cheers
Martin.

goldnsx
12-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Does your A/C run ok? Maybe our water drain is clogged.

simonprelude
13-12-2007, 09:28 AM
I sometimes have to switch the A/C to the windscreen position to clear some condensation up, that's about it though.

As above, water drain, window seals etc.

mart155
13-12-2007, 10:49 AM
I have my air-con on permanently at the windscreen position. Once I get it clear, it's fine while you are driving. The condensation is building up once the car is left again indicating that there is a lot of moisture inside.
I like your thinking on the drain, I will try and check that asap. Are you referring to the duct under the bonnet that sits on the bulkhead or is there another one somewhere?

simonprelude
13-12-2007, 11:01 AM
I always leave the A/C on full auto apart from when the windscreen needs demisting.

Steveycaz
13-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Mine's been parked up for a fortnight and the inside of he screen is thick with water.

goldnsx
13-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I like your thinking on the drain, I will try and check that asap. Are you referring to the duct under the bonnet that sits on the bulkhead or is there another one somewhere?

Yes, that could be about the place. I would have to check it in the SM too. But regarding your info that it clears up with the defrosting modus I'd vote for water coming in the car somewhere. Checking the water drain is not bad anyway.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention: The plastic cover in the doors that prevent moisture coming through the doors to the interior maybe loose or damaged. Check that too. One of my old cars was stinking like hell because of this.

mart155
13-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Aha, you may have hit on the problem then....
I removed the passengers side door panel a few weeks ago to re-grease the window runners and the plastic membrane was mostly missing.

goldnsx
13-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Aha, you may have hit on the problem then....
...and the plastic membrane was mostly missing.

I recommend to fix this ASAP. The plastic membrane needs to be glued on the inside of the door with no leaks. As soon as you get bad odor (and not only condesation) you'll find yourself having the greatest difficulties getting wrid of it again. Everytime you put something humid (i.e. umbrella) in the interior it brings the bacterias back to live. Good luck!

mart155
15-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Did I say mostly missing ?

Have yet to check the other one

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc125/mart155/Door.jpg

dan the man
15-12-2007, 11:14 PM
none left eh, wonder what its been up to.

goldnsx
15-12-2007, 11:30 PM

:eek: + :D

Let us know if you still get condensation after place a new plastic membrane. You'll find the Honda one quite expensive. But it doesn't have to be this one either. ;)

AR
15-12-2007, 11:51 PM
You can probably get some of the blue membrane used for construction ( damp course stuff ) or maybe even some heavy duty rubble sacks.

Cheers,

AR

goldnsx
16-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Mine looks like this:

reg
16-12-2007, 01:04 AM

Have yet to check the other one

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc125/mart155/Door.jpg

Prolly been removed to repair the amp or motor/mechanism. If you need plastic sheet let me know, from what I remember it is blue LLDPE I have some white or natural at work.

mart155
16-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the offer Reg but I have replaced with clear polythene. The drivers side was intact although it did have a couple of rips that I repaired successfully with duck tape.

Hopefully this will have resolved the problem.
If I still have the same thing in a couple of weeks, I will have to keep looking for the cause. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I will let you know how it goes.

mutley
17-12-2007, 06:33 AM
AHAH as Alan Partridge would say!!

This may also be why my car gets really bad conder#nsationn on the windscreen, the m,embrane is still there, but isn't attached very well so I think I'll replace it.

Well you learn somnething new everyday. Maybe this should be mentioned on the "Commopn Faults" list ( if it's still floating about on the forum)

Jim

britlude
03-02-2008, 12:01 AM
been investigating mine and the now traditional condensation issue... it was helped by turning off the aircon, well, until it rained, so I checked the membranes on both doors....

starting the passenger side (as I know this was covered in plasters!!!!) i stripped off the torn one that was there, and sat inside whilst my trust helper sprayed the side of the car with a hose.... OMG you SO need the membrane! basically the water comes in at the front, and top edge, and runs down inside the door.

i'm guessing this is a design feature, because have you seen the size of the drain holes in the front and rear bottom edge of the doors!

anyway, because of the undercut of the interior door skin, the water drips in on the outside skin, but lands on the inside skin, runs down to the speaker gets onto the membrane and sits at the bottom, between the membrane and inner skin. a nice puddle that won't drain out the bottom, and will just cause condensation inside the car if the membrane has gaps anywhere!

the drivers side was good, but the white-tak sticky stuff had failed under the speaker so the water was seeping thru there!

so, with a new plastic membranes, and liberal use of duck-tape i think it's cured... touch wood!

one of the symptoms was water on the top edge of the inner door rubber at the bottom front corner of the door (the rubber that follows the edge of the interior door panel) since replacement it's been dry!

mart155
10-03-2008, 04:52 PM
For those who asked me to report back, I think I can safely say with all this cold and wet weather we have been having that my serious condensation problem seems to have been cured now by replacing the polythene membrane on the passenger door.
Its been clear now for quite a few weeks. Whopee, no more mopping the windscreen every morning before I could drive the car.

A big thanks to Goldnsx for his top tip.

goldnsx
10-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks very much for your feedback. I'm glad that this solved the problem. :cool: