PDA

View Full Version : NSX vs 911

DamianW
16-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Ok, probably done to death before. But since I'm looking at spending the kind of money that will buy me a perfectly good used 996 C2, tell me why I should get the NSX? I speak as someone thats always wanted an NSX, but my head is saying I ought to try a 996 too just to make sure.

modarr
16-02-2004, 07:03 PM
I've had a brief stint on track in my friend's 996, albeit not flat out.
I'd would have to say that if you want outright performance and handling, the 996 is better. It's easier to drive hard and more forgiving. Brakes are indeed in a different league.
However the NSX feels a lot more special, the driving position, the noise, the handling although not quite as good is still extremely competent and feels more exciting through the corners and involving than the 996.
The 996 is excellent at everything but too clinical..I preferred his 993, it still had that 911 soul.
The NSX is flawed in areas, but has more soul, despite no pedigree, it feels like a racebred car.
Wouldn't spend 996 money on it though. Get a 996 and wait for the NSX replacement, or buy an early NSX and a 993.....heaven.

Kevin
16-02-2004, 09:50 PM
I think you said it in your post. Try them both. One thing I've learnt about reading peoples opinions is that is what they are....their opinions. You may prefer one car over the over for any number of reasons, not all of them due to the outright performance. I feel most people own an NSX because their head tells them to. Porsches, Ferrari's,TVRs etc are bought with the heart.

JMO

neilv
23-02-2004, 09:02 PM
I'm new to the NSX after 12 years of (air cooled) 911s & 911 turbos. The difference between the 2 is that when pushing a Porsche you always have to bear in mind that it's really trying to kill you - wonderfully exciting on a track day but pretty scary on the road. I reckon I'm faster A to B in the NSX (which is significantly down on power vs the 911), because I can probably drive it to 80% of it's potential, whereas, unless you are a driving god or Walter Rohrl, you'll never exceed 70% in the porker.Only thing that concerns me with the Honda is when it unexpectedly understeers on wet roundabouts even when not pushing it. At least the 911 is predictable. Looking forward to taking the NSX onto the track to see if you can steer it on the throttle like a 911, I suspect not.
Ciao, Neil

Welshman
24-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Looking forward to taking the NSX onto the track to see if you can steer it on the throttle like a 911, I suspect not.
Ciao, Neil

You can.

modarr
24-02-2004, 08:02 PM
You can,

I can't.

Are we talking about the ability to force the car through turns with use of bhp to adjust the angle of the car through the turns, with subsequently plenty of tail out action and lateral sliding?

Mo

trackdemon
25-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Looking forward to taking the NSX onto the track to see if you can steer it on the throttle like a 911, I suspect not.
Ciao, Neil

You can.

Indeed you can:

http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum/files/nsx_sideways2.jpg ;)

Kevin
25-02-2004, 12:37 PM
But where did the car go after that pic was taken?

That car is 'out of shape' as they say. Not exactly thottle steering from what I understand.

Would live to get all the track fanatics to the same track on the same day to compare.

No how can we do that I wonder?

trackdemon
26-02-2004, 10:39 AM
The car is indeed 'out of shape' but there two ways for this to happen:

Driver in charge

Car in charge

In this shot driver is in charge, and is having a ball ;-)
I found the biggest difficulty is straightening the thing out again. This was MUCH easier in my old TVR with less rear weight bias and quicker steering. IMO, any more sideways than you can see in the shot and it's not coming back.

BTW If 'steering on the throttle' is defined by pressing the throttle hard enough to make the rear step out and hold it there, then yes I am throttle steering in the shot.

ctrlaltdelboy
27-02-2004, 04:07 PM
I do this lots myself and can't get enough of it

I find myself spending half my time on the track trying to go fast and the other half trying to drive sideways!

Darren

simonprelude
13-12-2006, 01:02 PM
I can agree to that.

When are you venturing out again Darren ??

I do this lots myself and can't get enough of it

I find myself spending half my time on the track trying to go fast and the other half trying to drive sideways!

Darren

DamianW
13-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Blimey, there's an old thread of mine. Well I got the NSX and never regretted it.