PDA

View Full Version : Headlight bulbs

swlabhot
18-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Which bulb/housing does a 98' NSX use? 9006? HB3? HB4?

I'm looking to get some HIDs and need to know the exact bulb size. The stock bulbs are TINY! I tried test fitting some 'HID' white 9006 bulbs but they are waayy to big to go in the housing.

Also are they reflectors or projectors?

swlabhot
18-02-2005, 03:31 PM
15 views and nobody knows what bulbs their car uses? :shock: Nobody ever changes their bulbs?

DamianW
18-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Get a man in, thats what I say.

ctrlaltdelboy
18-02-2005, 10:19 PM
dunno

I just pulled up outside Halfrauds, whipped one out, took it in and got some new ones in the same pattern

Kevin
19-02-2005, 09:34 AM
They are tiny. They are H1 (pretty sure anyway). What may be confusing is that the US cars use 9005/9006 bulbs, so that's what you see on US websites.

BabyNSX
21-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Kevin is right. I found out the hard way by ordering 9006 bulbs from the US.

swlabhot
22-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I confirmed it by taking both bulbs out and they are both H1 - High and Low beam. I also thought they were 9005 and 9006 respectively. Good thing I didn't order them yet and tried to test fit the ordinary HID white bulbs first!

duncan
23-02-2005, 01:09 PM
For a 1995 UK car these are the various bulbs, I would assume these to be similar for all UK cars up to face lift (introduction of HID lamps).

FRONT

Dip H1 55 watt, Full Beam H1 55w,
I would recommend changing these to Philips Vision Plus, or Ring Ultra Xenon, for £20 a pair you get a 50% increase in light without an increase in power consumption. Obviously these are not as good as HID but they are far cheaper and significantly better than the normal bulbs.
The beam adjustment is easy; just insert a long bladed Philips screw driver in the cut out in the outer side of the painted head lamp shroud to engage with a wheel adjuster. See page 23-188 of the manual and be careful of the paintwork on the wing.

Front turn indicator, 21w (large) bayonet, single central base contact

Front side lamp, 5w, larger size of capless bulb, (Ring ref RU501), with external wire contacts (not bayonet), this bulb is a straight push in do not try to rotate the bulb itself.

Front Fog, H3 55w
+30% Xenon upgrades available, however the increase in brightness is not as noticeable as an upgrade on the H1’s. This bulb is easily available in 75w and 100w outputs, supposedly for “off road” use, avoid these as the increase in power draw may not be kind to the wiring and connectors.
The beam for these is designed to be adjustable, but is probably rusted up. The complete lamp is detached by unscrewing the visible bolt head. Leave the Philips headed screws alone as they only retain a plastic shroud.

REAR

Rear turn indicator, stop lamp, reversing lamp and rear high intensity fog lamp; all 21w (large) bayonet as front indicator above.

Rear lamp, 10w (small) bayonet, this bulb size is more commonly available in a 5w so pick up the correct rating.

ctrlaltdelboy
23-02-2005, 08:22 PM
a most useful and comprehensive post there Duncan

many thanks!

NSXGB
27-02-2005, 02:37 PM
....has anyone replaced their bulbs with the LED replacements - here (http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZacepart sQ5fcomQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEWAQ3aMESOI)?
I'm interested in whiter sidelights and the faster reacting brake lights/indicators.

.....for off road use of course....

AR
20-01-2006, 01:17 PM
So does this mean that the pop up cars are HID? I was under the impression that the only pre 02 HID were the Type-S. Are the 02 plus HID?

Cheers

AR

ChrisR
20-01-2006, 05:15 PM
UK spec 02+ are not HIDs.

Chris.

DTA-Motorsport
23-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Hi all,

If anyone is interested in HID's or uprated bulbs for their NSX then please let me know.

We [DTA-Motorsport UK] are the main distributor in the UK, Europe and Ireland for InterPower X5 HID kits. These kits have been independently tested and voted as belonging to the top 5 for function, reliability and value for money. I will be installing the first HID kit in Matt's car possibly next week and will of course share with the club our results. Whereas most Philips and Hella kits retail at over £500, our Club price is £250 plus £10 postage. We'll see how easy they are to install once I get one into Matt's car but for most cars they are completely plug-n-play. An additional benifit of these kits is that they can be completely removed from the car and the stock light bulbs reinserted.

As for any other light bulbs - we are now starting to stock and sell a myriad of uprated light bulbs. So far the most popular bulbs have been the Xtreme White Xenon bulbs and side lights. These bulbs are competitively priced (at about half the price of what you'd pay at Halfords or elsewhere online) and usually available from stock.

I need (urgently) to redesign our website at which stage all this information plus pricing will be available online. For the time being, please use the following as a guide:

HID Kit (dip beam):
H1 HID Kit: £250 + £10 postage

Dip & Main Beam:
H1 55W Xtreme White Xenon bulbs (pair): £11 plus £1.50 postage
H1 100W Xtreme White Xenon bulbs (pair): £14 (" ----")

Fog:
H3 55W Xtreme White Xenon bulbs (pair): £11 plus £1.50 postage

Side Light:
501 4LED Xtreme White bulbs (pair): £7 plus £1.50 postage

All other bulbs (indicator, brake and reverse) also available.

All bulbs are "E" marked and road legal in the UK with exception of the H1 100W Xtreme White Xenon bulbs - these are intended for "off-road" use. However, I've had these in my 300ZX for over two years and not had a problem (either on the wiring/holder side or with the police).

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.

If there is anything else I can get you (light bulbs, etc) then please do not hessitate to contact me.

All the best,

Dan
E: info@dta-motorsport.co.uk

TheQuietOne
23-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi Dan,

Very excited.... :D

Matt

AR
23-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Interested if they can fit 02 plus as I am hoping to do the conversion.

Cheers

AR

DTA-Motorsport
24-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Should fit an 02+ just fine. Can someone confirm that they are still H1 bulbs please? If so then no problem. I'll hopefully be installing a kit in Matt's car next week and will post the results.

If you look at Prime you'll see that loads of US owners have converted to HID kits (from various manufacturers) and are very pleased with the results.

Cheers!

Dan