PDA

View Full Version : NSX in Classic & Sports Car mag / Speed camera database

NSA
08-02-2005, 01:49 PM
C&SC is running an article next month (April mag on sale early March) asking "Is the best £20k supercar a Honda?". They will put it against a Ferrari 308.

Also, don't pay for a list of speed cameras for your GPS, download regular updates here: http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php. I highly recommend the Tom Tom Go (£400), but it looks like the database works with most types of GPS.

I was messing around at the weekend and test drove a Caterham 7 - couldn't wait to get back into the Honda. They're great cars, but I'll wait until global warming turns us into a tropical country before buying one. They've got an offer where you can hire one for £125 per day midweek, which I might look at in the summer.

jaytip
08-02-2005, 03:32 PM
an NSX against a 308! what a joke.the NSX trounced the 348 in all dept and that is a newer Ferrari.Jesus why don't they just run it against an mr2 if they are that ignorant :roll:

Paul
08-02-2005, 04:14 PM
an NSX against a 308! what a joke.the NSX trounced the 348 in all dept and that is a newer Ferrari.Jesus why don't they just run it against an mr2 if they are that ignorant :roll: lol
Unreal, the only section the 308 might rate higher in is ... 'pulling power' due to it wearing a 'prancing horse' as opposed to an 'H'.
So the 308 is a Ferrari and the NSX is a Honda ... bottom line the NSX is more than likely superior in all mechanical departments and will likely top the 308 in every department that matters when you're seeing which car is better round the track ... I quite agree with your closing comment Ivor ... let me join you :roll:

Kevin
08-02-2005, 05:13 PM
I guess (without reading) the article is comparing the cars as they are the same price.

This magazine did a review of the NSX a few years ago. I have a copy somewhere. I think it was a £25k supercar then.

You could compare the MR2 and 308 on performance, they are similar.

ctrlaltdelboy
08-02-2005, 08:45 PM
the 308 was my dream car for years after I had one in the workshop for a new alternator when I was 16 - we had it 2 days and the bill was £500.

GTB in red and it was gorgeous

I'm still glad that when I got some money I convinced myself to get the NSX instead though :wink:

UltraViolet
15-03-2005, 07:04 PM
It was due to price that they were pitched together. I had a lengthy chat with the chap putting the article together and he loves the NSX - he did say it was chalk and cheese and you would buy one or the other depending on what you want from a car.

Certainly the NSX is the one you can enjoy without prima-donna tantrums and of course is the better car from a performance view point (and others). The 308 however appeals on an emotional level and some are looking for a classic car experience rather than performance car.

A 'each to there own' thing really, neither car is being knocked.

I have had a letter from someone who owned both cars at the same time (and is now looking for another good NSX), interesting findings from this chap...... he isn't on the internet otherwise I would point him here. He also just missed out on a really nice red/black manual coupe near York.
Sorry - I'm rambling off topic now :oops:

trackdemon
16-03-2005, 11:47 AM
The cars are chalk and cheese enough without adding to the disparity (and IMHO giving the NSX a handicap) by not using a manual - there is no way the NSX and 308 are "similar in performance" otherwise. I've driven a 308 and it was lovely but the NSX is in a different league in performance terms - to write an article in terms which claim the performance is broadly similar whilst overlooking the fact that the NSX auto has less gears and lower bhp than standard is misleading and unfair. Funnily enough I remember reading the NSX vs 348 article a couple of years ago where the NSX soundly trumped the 348 - why let the truth get in the way of a good story though huh? :roll:

UltraViolet
18-03-2005, 11:09 AM
To be fair, they originally intended to use a Manual but as the snow scuppered the plans they had to use the closest dealer car available.

I had a long chat with the chap and he def. loves the NSX and as a performance car, it is much better. But it is a classic car mag, and so performance isn't the only criteria being judged - hence the 'both appeal on different levels' review.

Martin
08-08-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm guessing the past "Classic & Sports Car" article some of you have referred to in this thread is the November 2000 issue where they described the NSX as the "best value luxury supercar in the world". :)

This 8-page article on the NSX used my green NSX, "L3 NSX" :lol:

I like that article.....

Mr G

wgmr
09-08-2005, 05:08 PM
used to have a 328 and now have an NSX, on the basis that 328 is better than the 308 and the 328 is not a patch on the NSX and my 328 cost me £30k and the nsx only £26, what can any one write, other than how great the NSX is!