PDA

View Full Version : How long????

jaytip
14-11-2007, 02:10 PM
A question for all you folks who have the NSX as a second car,How often do you use it? or to put it another way,how long are you willing to let it sit for without being driven?
This is the first time in my life i have owned two cars at the same time,and i am finding myself picking up the keys to the NSX as oppossed to the "daily driver":dunno:
Anybody else do this?

Steveycaz
14-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Mine does about 5000 miles a year but I do lots of short hoons round the local roads so it is rarely laid up for long.

Senninha
14-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Ivor,

My daily records 40kpa, the NSX around 5k. I will be fitting a trickle charger in the coming weeks to aid the battery in the colder months etc. I have found that it sits happily for 3-4wks without complaint. I do also make sure that the drives are of reasonable duration as IMO, long periods of non use plus short trips wouldn't be ideal.

HTH, Paul

dan the man
14-11-2007, 06:34 PM
yup mine can sit for weeks or be out more than twice in 0one week. always usually long or medium rips tho as hate small journeys in it.

NSXGB
14-11-2007, 07:40 PM
I do about 5K miles per year. I have a detached garage without power (so no trickle charger), The longest I have let it sit is 3 weeks without driving (was on holiday).

In over 4 years, I have never had any problems with the battery or brakes or anything else.....

When I use it I try to use it for a worthwhile journey and in conditions that I will enjoy driving it in.

markc
14-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi Ivor,

I don't do anything like the total annual mileage that Paul does but my NSX often sits in the garage for weeks on end without going anywhere.
I do keep it plugged into a battery conditioner so that it's always topped up with 'leccy and if it gets over 3 weeks I'll make sure I take it out for a least a 10 mile drive to get all the fluids and seals warmed through and to ensure the tyres don't go square.

I hit upon the idea of running a "beater" alongside my proper car about 6 years ago while said proper car was a Porsche 993. I just felt that for the daily commute, particularly in typical British winter weather, was almost a crime. IMHO there isn't much pleasure to be derived from driving in heavy traffic and poor weather.
I know that a car needs reasonably regular use to keep it working properly but "unnecessary" use in poor conditions coupled with the extra wear and tear this use entails hits servicing, running costs and of course depriciation hard, particularly Porsches!

I apprieciate that it's a luxury and maybe even a waste of ownership to keep a lovely car locked up unused for weeks on end BUT I think it helps you (well me anyway) to enjoy it that bit more when you do use it. I tend to use mine for the odd commute on nice sunny days, summer or winter, and trips when I want to go somewhere (Le Mans, Isle on Man, Nurburgring, Selvio etc) rather that I have to.

Just my reasons/excuses for how I use, or don't use, my car.

Cheers

Mark

Steve
14-11-2007, 10:43 PM
I have a White German Sheperd that goes where I go...exept int eh NSX. Daily car is a Rangy, i

Steve
14-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Bugger I have a White German Sheperd that goes where I go...exept int eh NSX. Daily car is a Rangy,

Steve
14-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Bugger again whats going on!! I have a White German Sheperd that goes where I go...exept in the NSX. Daily car is a Rangy, I have 2 warehouses at work and leave the NSX in one, so drive to work in RR and duing the day if weather OK will use NSX. Swap them over at weekends. Works for me, but still will only do maybe 2500 miles a year. In the winter I will still use it but only on dry days, only because I can't be arsed to clean it to often.

TheSebringOne
15-11-2007, 12:33 AM
I have similar issues like most of you guys as its my 2nd or 3rd car! Sorry I have to own up and say in my first two years, done a total of 3K! but in my third year 2K! I too use a trickle charge over Autumn & Winter, then try to go out every 2/3 weeks, get the air con going to stop staleness , hit the ABS to stop it sticking (cost a kidney to replace) and use everything so things don't stick shut! If you can't get a trickle charge on and a low user, then 3 weeks is the max before the immobiliser won't de activate properly, alarm comes on and you can't start the car! HTH

simonprelude
16-11-2007, 08:00 PM
6 weeks is the most I have gone recently without turning the key.

No battery charger or conditioner and no problems, a lot of it depends on the alarm you have and how much it drains the battery in the first instance.

TheSebringOne
17-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Wow 6 weeks Simon! Have you've got a special heavy duty battery? Over the winter, I've resorted to switching off the interior light, start in neutral & clutch in, then once fired up, slowly switch on other things like pop ups! Also must admit if I go for short blast to get fuel, I keep engine running, but lock the car with spare key! I know you should never fuel up with engine running!

Rob_Fenn
19-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Sadly sometimes not driven for a month or two at a time, depends on how busy work is.

AR
19-11-2007, 01:54 PM
A month due to holidays and it was fine.

simonprelude
19-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I think it's a Panasonic one ??

Had a quick trip to Tesco in the NSX yesterday to check all was OK after we got back from Grenada, all seems fine. Started better than the Integra after sitting for a week at Gatwick, I thought it was going to be a call to the RAC.

Wow 6 weeks Simon! Have you've got a special heavy duty battery? Over the winter, I've resorted to switching off the interior light, start in neutral & clutch in, then once fired up, slowly switch on other things like pop ups! Also must admit if I go for short blast to get fuel, I keep engine running, but lock the car with spare key! I know you should never fuel up with engine running!