PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Ayrton.

Ferris Bueller
13-11-2007, 08:46 PM
A business trip took me over to Brasil last week with a couple of days in Sao Paulo. Thanks to a good friend I was able to visit the Morumbi cemetery - the final resting place of Ayrton Senna.

As is true for many NSX owners, Senna is a real hero for Brasilians and he remains an idol in Brasil. They refer to him simply as Ayrton - everyone knows who is being spoken about without the need for the surname. He is still spoken of with great respect and affection and they love it if you show some knowledge or appreciation of the great man. Tell them you own an NSX, and for me a significant part of the reason why, and you gain instant respect and kudos.

The guard on the gate of the cemetery must be used to the steady flow of tourists to the site and was only too pleased to usher us through the gates to the private car park. His hard face softened into a broad smile when my friend told him we were "Inglese" here to see Ayrton.

A few days before I was there the Brasilians had their "Day of the Dead" national holiday so the whole place was full of flowers which actually made it a quite nice place to be. Also, his grave was not behind barriers as it is normally.

I took a few photos while I was there. Excuse the quality, it was on my camera phone.

As you can see, it's in the middle of a very built up, although wealthy, area. All of Sao Paulo is crowded, this is one area of green in the middle of the concrete jungle; It's quite surreal really. I feel very lucky and grateful to have been able to go and pay my respects and enjoy a few moments of contemplation in what is a unqiue place. It's an experience I'll treasure forever.

RIP Ayrton.

dan the man
13-11-2007, 09:01 PM
awsome pal :)

Senninha
13-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanx for the photo's, it is on my must do list. Does the museum still operate for the foundation?

Amongst my Senna collection is a collage that was made for me which has the following words ...

"I am a professional. I have responsibilities. But I am also a human being, and the values I have in my life are stronger than many other peoples desires to influence or destroy those values"

I read this most days and try to live to my own values.

Ayrton Senna 1960 - 1994 RIP

TheSebringOne
13-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Ayrton was the greatest for me. RIP :)

Ferris Bueller
13-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanx for the photo's, it is on my must do list. Does the museum still operate for the foundation?

I believe the museum is still up and running and the foundation continues its work in the community. Over 6 million children have directly benefitted from Ayrton's legacy. See here:-
http://senna.globo.com/institutoayrtonsenna/ingles/home.asp?r=t

I've not visited any other Senna places as yet. I hope to tick a few off the list on a future trip. It's amazing to see his image emblazoned upon walls around the area. I think the latest product to wear the S with the blessing of said foundation is a range of powerboats.

Annoyingly the Real has swung from 5.5 to 3.5 to the pound over the last two years so potential bargain souvenirs are no longer available. When I first went the replica helmets were £700. I'm kicking myself as they're now nearer £1100 and I wish I'd bought one before. I did look for a Senna Tag Heuer as they tend to be sold in $ and the pound is obviously very strong at the moment but none were available. Maybe next time....

AR
13-11-2007, 11:33 PM
One of the things I admire the most about him is, that he was a man of faith.

Cheers,

AR

Ferris Bueller
13-11-2007, 11:39 PM
One of the things I admire the most about him is, that he was a man of faith.

Cheers,

AR

I think the inscription of the plaque reads:-

"Nothing can separate me from my God"

or something similar (Portuguese is not a specialty but a friend who can speak it translated for me).

Steve
13-11-2007, 11:51 PM
I had a meeting at Mclaren in the late 80's and when I pulled up in the car park I saw a red NSX for the 1st time. The Guy I was meeting told me that Ayrton was visiting the factory and the NSX was the car he was driving doing some R&D, there was such a buzz around the place that you could tell the guy was someone special, he is the main reason I am now a proud owner of my NSX.
Gone but never forgotton.

gumball
14-11-2007, 12:58 PM
He was/is a real inspiration.

Rob_Fenn
16-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for sharing!