PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning problems

BabyG
09-11-2007, 12:54 AM
When I bought my car I knew it had a problem with the A/C compressor. Having had it checked out it's shot, and I've been having a bit of a look round trying to figure it out. Having had the car looked at by the very knowledgeable Gary at Avacs in Alton (01420 80808), it turns out the problem is likely to be because the previous owner had charged the system with RS24 gas.

While this is a like for like replacement for the original R12 gas in older cars as far as cooling is concerned, it doesn't have the same lubricant carrying properties as the older gas. Over time and use this will lead to the compressor drying out and failing, as has happened in mine. I think dodging the upgrade to R134a when the time comes is a risky call that I'm now on the wrong end of.

My answer has been similar to one Kowalski pointed out earlier - buy an aftermarket compressor from the US (ref 10PA15C, $190 plus postage from USA. ebay techchoiceparts), get a new filter (80351-SL0-A01) which should be replaced when the gas is changed. The valves will also need changing (Dali does a kit) for the new gas.

The compressor comes with clutch, and is the US market version. This has a slightly smaller pulley which spins faster and provides more cooling. This requires a US belt to work with it - can anyone confirm whether 38920-PR7-A01 is the US or UK version? I have the option of taking the clutch assembly from my existing compressor, but am quite relaxed about getting slightly more cool air coming through so will run with the US setup if I can.

I'll be dropping the car in Alton to get this lot fitted next week, I'll post back when I know how it's gone!

Rich

ps HUK was about £1600 for this lot using all Honda parts. Serious wedge.

nigel
16-11-2007, 04:42 AM
The best way to get it sorted is buy a "new" Legend compressor and put the original pulley from your nackered compressor on it. An oem NSX belt will fit, it will spin at the proper rpm and it is substancially cheeper than the oem NSX compressor. Call JR at Ray Laks Acura in New York and he'll get you sorted. 1-888-RAY-LAKS. Toll free. Best price for NSX owners in the states. Don't forget the pound is more than double the US dollar. The worst part now is installing the new compressor. The best part it will have oem Honda parts.

Cheers
nigel