PDA

View Full Version : 6 pots brakes - first test

modarr
07-11-2007, 08:23 PM
If any of you crazy 88 NSX Killers are thinking about brake upgrades, here's how my HiSpec 6 pot upgrade performed on track.
Brands Hatch Indy today, feeling nervous because I have shifted brake bias towards the front and had the only other crazy 88 NSx Killer to fit these brakes tell me they were so bad he junked them! Locking up the fronts and loosening the back end under braking were big worries.
Fortunately, following Kevin's review of his R888's I had me a set on too.

Result......fantastic. For the first time on track, it felt like I had braking to spare, rather than the usual standing on them as hard as possible. No locking of the fronts although this could be easily brought on judging by the odd squeal of tyres ( note that this was on 205 fronts too). Rear felt planted under braking, slight squirm here and there but nothing unusal, not enough to worry about trail braking. Very easy to modulate brake force too, better than OEM which are damn good.

R888's are excellent. Drove within the limits of the tyres for a change due to proximity of Armco and hence no 'brown' thought provoking incidents. A little dull, but hey its not the Bedford Slidodrome. The car felt track ready, no fade, no fuss from the brakes, just driveable and pretty quick in the corners.

Conclusion- recommended brake upgrade,
HiSpec 6 pot slimline race front calipers (no seals so maintenance required), Ferodo 2500
HiSpec big disc rear upgrade (OEM caliper)MIntex 1155
R888 205 40 17, 255 35 18
Wheels OZ Superlegerra. Not my choice in terms of aesthetics, light but easily distorted, cheap and NSX happy offsets.

Mo

dan the man
07-11-2007, 08:44 PM
great that thanks for sharing.

AR
07-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Hi Mo, just a couple of questions???

What is the meaning of 88 NSX Killer?

Did you have to fabricate anything for the front brakes?

When you say shifted the bias, was it a cause of the upgrade, or did you fit a manual proportioning valve?

Why 205 fronts?

Cheers,

AR

NSXGB
07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
....what size discs? 97+ sizes I presume?

Kevin
07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Don't forget you'll need new wheels to fit over these brakes. Discs are well over the OEM sizes.

With decent grippy tyres, the tendancy to lock up wheels is avoided, or at least harder to do. Squirmiess has been reduced on my car by aligning the wheels up with less toe.

Crazy Mo, only running on skinny tyres? Is your car set up for snow rallying then?:) Try it with some 235/275 phat rubber, you'll know what braking is.:)

So think you're ready to take me on then?:) Other NSXers at Bedford, be ready for a NSX grudge-match showdown.:)

Was this Brands Hatch sneaky practice?

Rob_Fenn
07-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Glad you like your brake upgrade Mo...hopefully will catch up with you again some time.

Unfortunately SuperLs are no longer made.

modarr
08-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Hi Mo, just a couple of questions???

What is the meaning of 88 NSX Killer?
The crazy 88 (NSX) killers........not a Tarantino fan then Ary. Watch Kill Bill Volume 1.
Best movie for years.

Did you have to fabricate anything for the front brakes? No, just ten pound notes.
You'll need different wheels.

When you say shifted the bias, was it a cause of the upgrade, or did you fit a manual proportioning valve?
The 6 pots have more piston diameter thyan OEM. This shifts balance forward. Plus I'm on grippier front pads because I can't get Feredo rears in 2500 ( way best pad ever)

Why 205 fronts?
I ain't no fatty like Kevin. He has 305 fronts because of his weight.
No, I went 205 40 17 because I like a smaller diameter wheel which keeps ride height low. 215 40 17 raises the front of the car too much. I think the lower ride height is better than the extra rubber. Plus my driving style is pretty loose. I like the car moving around under me so the thin tyres don't matter. Either way handling on R888 is so good, that didn't notice any problem. Also got me a Kev-style motorbike battery, alloy calipers and no spare wheel so front end is light now.

Cheers,

AR
Hope that helps

modarr
08-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Crazy Mo, only running on skinny tyres? Is your car set up for snow rallying then?:) Try it with some 235/275 phat rubber, you'll know what braking is.:)
Thank you but I'm all braked up now. Couldn't possibly have another bite.

So think you're ready to take me on then?:) Other NSXers at Bedford, be ready for a NSX grudge-match showdown.:)
So the handbags are down then. Got me extra sharp white stilletos on. Watch those size 15's. I ain't fightin unless I got me short gears on.

Was this Brands Hatch sneaky practice?
Don't have a Palystation. Plus its so close and now I can brake without barbecuing my wheels. My first and only previous Indy circuit experiece had my brakes pouring smoke so I stayed away.

Kevin
08-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Would you like me to send your non-compliance clamps over to you, to squeeze out some extra performance? Every little helps.

KC
(Deadly NSX Assassination Squad)

modarr
08-11-2007, 08:33 PM
non-compliance is my middle name, (initials MSD)
What's happening with the beam? I need a bore out, new 911's are way faster in a straight line.

You'd be the Black Mamba then?

Mo
Boss of crazy 88 NSx Killers

markc
09-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Well, as there are 5 of us in the "Deadly NSX Assassination Squad" and Kevin's Black car makes him Black Mamba, Mo's driving style makes him Sidewinder and my car colour probably makes me Copperhead :)

Which leaves Paul and Rich to fight over being Cottonmouth and California Mountain Snake for the day :)

I'm sooo gonna have brake envy by end of play. I think I know what'll be on Santa's list for me this crimbo!

Mark

BabyG
09-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Daryl Hannah or Lucy Liu? Tough one.

I'm going to have to go with CMS - I don't want to die too early! My car's also getting on a bit, and I do actually have a problem with one of my headlamps at the moment ;)

Kevin
09-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm sooo gonna have brake envy by end of play. I think I know what'll be on Santa's list for me this crimbo!

Mark

It could be wet, so all the brakes in the world won't make any difference.

Senninha
09-11-2007, 11:42 AM
It could be wet, so all the brakes in the world won't make any difference.

My money would then be on your reportedly smoother driving style providing you have some decent tyres ....

If there's a spare seat I would like a passenger ride please.

regards, Paul

Kevin
09-11-2007, 12:54 PM
My money would then be on your reportedly smoother driving style providing you have some decent tyres ....

If there's a spare seat I would like a passenger ride please.

regards, Paul

Passengers need to be booked in, and pay £25 to Jonathan Palmer's beer fund for a ride.

I already have someone from work coming to see what it's all about, so one of the others going will need to have passenger space.

Or.... put some of those 289 horses, and lightweight CF stuff to the test, and drive yourself!!

It's not like your car hasn't been ragged on tracks before.

modarr
09-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Well, as there are 5 of us in the "Deadly NSX Assassination Squad" and Kevin's Black car makes him Black Mamba, Mo's driving style makes him Sidewinder and my car colour probably makes me Copperhead :)

Which leaves Paul and Rich to fight over being Cottonmouth and California Mountain Snake for the day :)

Mark

Cool.
Nice to see some taste in movies for a change

AR
10-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Hope that helps

Cheers Mo,

I like some Tarantino films but I could not stomach the Kill Bill series, too commercialized and far from his early ones IMHO.

So as I suspected from Kevin's review, this brake are not street friendly from the maintenance point of view.

How do you rate the 888s on the street?

Cheers,

AR

modarr
11-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi Ary,

The R888 are very noisy. Pronounced whirring noise on the move. Stiff sidewalls but otherwise good. Likely to wear very fast.

Wouldn't buy unless you track your car regularly

Mo

AR
11-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Cheers Mo,

It sounds like they are very similar to the Bridgestones Time Atack tyres I had on the NSX-R.

I will stick with street tyres, but I just got to find the right combo!

AR