PDA

View Full Version : Traction Control Problem.

brettwood
06-11-2007, 05:19 PM
since changing my std wheels to 18s all round and lowering the front springs by 35mm
my traction control has started acting up. a light flashes on the dash and some sort of speed limitor comes in. i have to switch the TC off to drive normally.
anyone know what could be the problem ?
thanks

cas
06-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi

You seem to have tripped the TCS tyre ware algorithm. If the difference between the rotation of the front and rear wheels is outside a certain tolerence it disables the TCS. You can easiliy check this by putting on your orginals wheels and checking to see if everything is OK. You need to make sure that the daimeter of your new wheels with tyres is the same as the old.

AR
06-11-2007, 05:28 PM
The ratio of the new wheels front to back is playing with the TCS.

What size wheels and tyres did you go for?

AR

AR
06-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi
You need to make sure that the daimeter of your new wheels with tyres is the same as the old.

I think is the ratio that needs to be kept similar.

brettwood
06-11-2007, 05:43 PM
hi,
i went for 18 inch all round
can i do anything about this problem if i leave the wheels on as ive seen plenty of NSXs with 18 inch wheels ?
keith

I think is the ratio that needs to be kept similar.

AR
06-11-2007, 06:21 PM
I think the ratio is 5% or so, what sizes have you got???

britlude
06-11-2007, 07:14 PM
hi,
i went for 18 inch all round
can i do anything about this problem if i leave the wheels on as ive seen plenty of NSXs with 18 inch wheels ?
keith

it's the tyre width and profile that's important! the nsx has different rolling radius each end, and the ratio of these has to be maintained to stop the traction control thinking that there is a problem.

as far as it is concerned there IS a problem, as the front wheels are turning too fast/slow when compared to the rears, so there must be wheel spin!

the traction control is probably doing exactly what it should.

what tyre sizes/profiles are you running? and see how the sizes relate to the originals.

and ,yes, it's the front/rear ratio that's important. if the fronts get 10% bigger diameter, the rears must get 10% bigger too

britlude
06-11-2007, 07:22 PM
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84971

mart155
06-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Keith,
What are the exact tyre sizes you have for front and rear?

Martin

brettwood
07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
hi martin
i have same size wheels & tyres all round
215/35 ZR18.
will i have to increase the rear profile to 45+ or would i need to go 19s on the rear ?
keith

Keith,
What are the exact tyre sizes you have for front and rear?

Martin

simonprelude
07-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Eek.......

I'd suggest something a little wider on the rear, also try and match the original rolling radius of the OEM set up.

This seems quite a good tool.

http://www.performancetyresdirect.co.uk/converter/converter.html

hi martin
215/35 ZR18.
will i have to increase the rear profile to 45+ or would i need to go 19s on the rear ?
keith

britlude
07-11-2007, 12:49 PM
a quick number crunch.....

fronts, std 205/50x15 587mm
.............. 215/35x18 607mm 3.4% bigger diameter

rear std 225/50x16 631mm
........... 215/35x18 607mm 3.8% smaller diameter

so a 7.2% variation front/rear from stock, the TCS allows up to 5% i believe! basically the rears have to be taller, as the fronts won't get any smaller without all manner of issues! i presume all four are the same width wheel..

looking for a rear tyre ideally about 652 tall to restore the balance, though http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_packages.jsp?req=newsearch&viewMode=brief (select acura nsx) is suggesting 225/40x18 as the best option... 637 tall, virtually stock height, and a 3.3% deviation from stock ratios.....

235/40x18 will give a height of 645, even better 1.2% front/rear deviation, but then your wheel widths may start to affect choices. hope that helps!

mart155
07-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Mate,
Not sure you can get 215/45/18 but could be wrong.
As Britlude has already said, I would suggest you go for the wider tyre at the rear but before spending any more money stick your old ones back on and see if the problem goes away.

hi martin
215/35 ZR18.
keith

AR
07-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Mate,
Not sure you can get 215/45/18 but could be wrong.
As Britlude has already said, I would suggest you go for the wider tyre at the rear but before spending any more money stick your old ones back on and see if the problem goes away.

I think 215 all around for an NSX is not a good choice.

markc
07-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi Keith, sounds like you've got 4 identical wheels (as well as tyres)?

If so this really isn't how the NSX was designed to roll. Even if you manage to find a differant sized tyre for the rear wheels that stop the TCS complaining, you're handling will likely be horrible if not dangerous.

I suggest you out those wheels to an Accord/Primera/Lancer Evo owner who'll be able to make proper use of them and track down a set for the NSX in the correct size ratios.

Mark

mart155
07-11-2007, 10:37 PM
I think 215 all around for an NSX is not a good choice.

Same here, I totally agree

TheSebringOne
08-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Mark C, how do you know what wheels they are and that they will fit Nissan Primeras, Lancer Evos? Its understandable they will fit an Accord. Are those other Japanese cars using the same 5 studs and identical dimensions? :dunno:

britlude
09-11-2007, 08:01 AM
found the converter i was looking for, nice and simple one!!!

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

plugging the numbers in, from 15/16 stock sizes, the 18" fronts are 22mm taller, the rears 23mm shorter, hence TCS going mad!

markc
09-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi Sebring, I found this out while reasearching a possible wheel upgrade a while back. Yes, lots of Nissans and Mitsubishis use the same 5 hole, 114mm PCD fixing.

This site is quite a good start to compare what cars use similar fixing... http://www.carlsalter.com/wheel_fitments.html

Although the centre bores are all differant a lot of aftermarket wheel manufacturers make their centre bores too big anyway and sell spigot rings to fill the gap for specific applications.

The NSX is particularly difficult to get wheels for as the centre bore is differant front and back.

Mark

Silver Surfer
09-11-2007, 08:08 PM
found the converter i was looking for, nice and simple one!!!

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Great find...I will now buy 225/45/16 tyres for the front as there are so much more choice!!

SS

TheSebringOne
10-11-2007, 03:01 PM
If we can upgrade the fronts to 225 45 15 (94+ alloys) , thats great if there is more choice, but how does that affect handling apart from more grip? If you had unassisted steering then its harder when parking, but people also say it makes handling slightly worse. If you have PAS, then I suppose its ok? (I'm sorry, but this has been discussed before).

AR
10-11-2007, 04:11 PM
If we can upgrade the fronts to 225 45 15 (94+ alloys) , thats great if there is more choice, but how does that affect handling apart from more grip? If you had unassisted steering then its harder when parking, but people also say it makes handling slightly worse. If you have PAS, then I suppose its ok? (I'm sorry, but this has been discussed before).

Do you mean 225/45/16?

markc
10-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Sebring, it's tyre pressure that has the most significant effect on the contact patch (footprint) and therefore steering weight, especially when we're only talking about 1 size up.

It's complicated but going to a slightly wider tyre does not necessarily give you a bigger contact patch (footprint) which most people associate with providing more grip, and indeed making the steering heavier!

For the sake of an explanation, assume that the tyre is the same design (construction and compound), the tiny amount of additional contact patch of the wider tyre can be offset by raising the pressure a touch.

In fact because the cars weight is spread across the theoretical slightly larger footprint, the same pressure will make the actual footprint even smaller than that!

So a little tweek of the tyre pressure will adjust your steering weight :)

The extra weight of the wider tyre is likely to have more of an adverse effect on ride and handling than the width has on steering weight.

I believe this is why so many high performance cars these days come with tyres designed specifically for them, just like the NSX originally did. Just one other area that it was ahead of it's time :)
Having said that, tyre design has come on a long way since the original NSX spec Bridgestone & Yoko's were designed so you can almost certainly do better by using a modern design. The problem is that there isn't really the guidance from Honda which makes choosing a new tyre all a bit of a lottery.

I have 225x45x16 (Bridgestone S03PP's) on mine and I didn't notice any significant changes and feel or grip when I changed to them. I do have power steering tho' which will as you say mask the differances a bit.

Mark

TheSebringOne
10-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Yes Ary, sorry meant 16 inch! As usual Mark, your technical knowledge is very informative! In a nutshell, going up to a size in width (10cm) is off set by slightly more PSI to fill the slightly larger tyre, so theres no increase in contact patch. Now I know that and with PAS, then I will consider going up a size when the fronts need changing. :)

AR
10-11-2007, 10:28 PM
This thread has made me wonder if going with 225 40 17 on my new 17" front wheels with + 40 offset and 7.5" width rub???

Any idea from previous users? Darren reported rubbing with 225 40 16 on a + 40 offset 8" width rim.

Cheers,

AR

TheSebringOne
10-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Ary, what front new wheels you have now?

TheQuietOne
11-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Yes Ary, sorry meant 16 inch! As usual Mark, your technical knowledge is very informative! In a nutshell, going up to a size in width (10cm) is off set by slightly more PSI to fill the slightly larger tyre, so theres no increase in contact patch. Now I know that and with PAS, then I will consider going up a size when the fronts need changing. :)

James you might want another edit - if you go up 10cm width on the front the tyres will fall off the rims (well will dwarf them technically)...and you'll look a right wally:rolleyes: not just sound one...:D

AR
11-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Ary, what front new wheels you have now?

Actually mate is the whole set. After waiting many months they are finally here. They are Volk TE 37s in the following sizes:

Front 17 x 7.5 + 40

Rear 17 X 9.5 + 40

Cheers,

AR

TheQuietOne
11-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Actually mate is the whole set. After waiting many months they are finally here. They are Volk TE 37s in the following sizes:

Front 17 x 7.5 + 40

Rear 17 X 9.5 + 40

Cheers,

AR

Nice - they'll suit the 02 nicely too :D.

(right better get to bed as I have to be on an exhibition stand at 8 in the morning...still at least I have a 45 minute drive too look forward to, waking me up with some V6 music...:)).

markc
11-11-2007, 09:29 AM
I should have added that I went up a size on the rear to 255x40x17 to balance the fronts.

Much more choice of modern rubber in these sizes.

Mark

TheSebringOne
11-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Mark C, I will be going to 255 rears in the future regardless whether 215 or 225 fronts! :)

TQO, sorry I mean 10mm or 1 cm, wally no longer! :laugh:

nigel
14-11-2007, 01:56 AM
As britlude said. There's a tyre supplier around London, maybe Essex, I think, I can't recall right now, that has a website that has a comparrison chart for keeping tyre sizes within the proper tollerances so the TCS won't get confused and throw a code when you change tyre and wheel sizes. I'll try and find it and get it posted.

Cheers
nigel