PDA

View Full Version : NSX Wanted

Flinty
06-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Great site !
I'm looking to buy an NSX and have £25k cash burning a hole in my pocket. Missed out on the grey Targa by the looks of it (damn and blast!) but now have money and need to spend it, before i fritter it away on something less worthy.

P.s has anyone seen the 91 car for sale in Autotrader. Based in Durham - 27k miles on the clock only. £20,750. It's a long way to go, but looks a fine car.
Any tips on buying ? what's better - a 96 car with average miles or older low miler ?

Ideally looking for a 3.2 Manual, but will gladly take a 3.0 if the cash wont stretch. Targa top even better.
UK Car with history essential, no major accidents please.

Thanks - really grateful for any replies or tips.
tel 07887 717624 if you have a car to sell.

jaytip
06-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi there,
personaly i would see if i could stretch to a 3.2 targa with slightly higher milage,but then again i don't track my car.
i test drove a type-s about a year ago and it was rapid.i can't remember what the steering felt like though,and i know that there are a number of members on this board who prefere non powered steering.
good luck with your search though,and don't be too impulsive and buy the first one you come across(like i did :roll: )

Flinty
08-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Glad to get your tips. I aim to keep the car for a while and put 6k miles per year on the clock. Thinking of the long term prospect, i'd prefer a low mileage car. Would love a 3.2 but doubt i'll find one less than £30k. Thanks for reply - cheers.

ctrlaltdelboy
08-02-2005, 08:30 PM
I think there have been 3.2s go for less than £30k - keep checking autotrader and E&M - new ones come up for sale every couple of months.

none around at the moment though :cry:

cheapest dealer 3.2 I can find right now though is a 2002 T in Imola Orange (Mmmmmm) at £44,995 from Phoenix near Glasgow

cheapest on E&M is a 2000 coupe in Red at £35,995

cheapest on autotrader is a 2000 coupe in Black at £38,995

these are all manuals - autos would be cheaper if you were that way inclined

BrownBear
09-02-2005, 10:27 AM
..OR

you could go for the 1995 3.0 Litre T, with Cat D repairs and 42K miles up for £35K from Eclipse, if you fancy :shock:

Flinty
09-02-2005, 12:27 PM
I wish i had £35k to spend, but alas.

Manual G/Box is a prerequisite. In my humble opinion, Auto's are for BMW and Mercedes Saloons. :wink:

I was at Oakfields this morning to check out their 1 owner 1991 Red Coupe, with 46k miles. Very tidy overall with a few 'cosmetic' snags - duff speakers, few rattles - but seemed a straight car with no major issues. Will be checking out a couple of others before thinking about that one. Drives very nicely though.

Oh and most importantly, that VTEC noise - i know they all have it, but oooeeee it makes the purse strings loosen !!! :twisted:

BrownBear
09-02-2005, 01:07 PM
I wish i had £35k to spend, but alas.

I was joking - that's waaaaaayyyy over priced..

Cheers
Joe

Flinty
09-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Yup, i got that Joseph, thankye. Crazy price for a repaired motor!
(The £35k comment referred to CtrlAltDel's comment about 2000 registered Red Coupe 3.2 for £35k - further up)

Anyway - thanks for the advice fellas (and any ladies, of course). Keep it coming - really grateful and will hopefully help me avoid a dawg.

Flinty

MattS
09-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi Flinty,

I also checked out the NSX that Oakfields has (see previous posts) in October 2004. They were asking a couple of grand more for it then though.

I agree it appears looks a good car on the face of it, and it certainly drove nicely. It had a few problems with the stereo/speakers, and the fact that the driver's electric window was making graunching noise which may=imminent expensive bill. (Probably needs 'window fix-it thingy' from Dali Racing).

More worrying to me was the huge gap in the service history for this car. They reckoned it was owned by a millionaire's wife who looked after all their cars 'really well' and serviced them every 6 months. They could offer no evidence to back this up apart from a signed letter from said millionaire saying that the car was serviced as required. As far as I know the cambelt wasn't changed for the first 14 year's of the car's life - not a problem in itself in hindsight, but this suggests that other serices were missed including oil changes etc. If you buy the car, not having a documented SH will harm it's resale value if/when you decide to sell it.

I reckon you could get them to knock a couple of grand more off the asking price, using the argument that the lack of SH damages its resale value. Thy've had the car since early October last year.

Best of luck,

Matt

Flinty
12-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the tips Matt.

Oakfields have now got the History from the previous owner. I have to admit it looks genuine - it has stamps from Dealers in Spain, Gibraltar and all sorts, which stacks up with their info on the previous owner. SH is fairly complete altho it hasnt been done religiously every 6k miles - there are loads of service stamps, but a bit randomly spaced.

I've seen another couple of cars this week and have a deal for a 96N Manual Targa - collecting 2moro. Nothing spectacular for my first NSX, but looks a solid car for the price.

Cheers for now.

MattS
13-02-2005, 10:17 AM
96 Targa eh? Sounds fantastic. You're going to have a great summer! Congrats and I hope you sleep tonight!

Flinty
14-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks to one and all for all the tips and advice in the last couple of weeks(Brown Bear in particular - i owe you a beer).

After seeing a couple of older cars, 1996 NSX now purchased & collected - a Manual Targa in dark met green, 62k miles from Warwickshire area. Full Honda history (confirmed by Peter Brooks Honda) & no major problems. Price - an apparent snip at £5k under budget! By no means a concours entry, but drives beautifully and very tidy original condition all round.

The better half certainly enjoyed driving back to Essex yesterday - grinning away whilst i 'plodded' ahead in my DMS 330d Sport. She certainly enjoyed lagging behind & then suddenly appearing from nowhere in my rearview mirror.....

Bring on those spring mornings - cant wait.

Thanks again - what a great website.

jaytip
14-02-2005, 04:23 PM
congrats man. welcome to many years of happy motoring :D