PDA

View Full Version : Group Car Wash Marathon

mart155
27-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks to Matt for hosting the Car wash fest and supplying the tea & coffee and to everyone else for making me welcome.
I'll start the ball rolling with these 2 pictures.
Feel free to add your own pictures.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc125/mart155/DSCF1934a.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc125/mart155/DSCF1924a.jpg

AR
27-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Was this a secret meet?

AR
27-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Notable how all six cars have different wheels!

Silver Surfer
27-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Was this a secret meet?

Only for 'Dirty' cars! :laugh:

SS

AR
27-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Only for 'Dirty' cars! :laugh:

SS Did they use Evian?

TheSebringOne
28-10-2007, 07:21 PM
So thats Matt (minus front no: plate), Papa, Martin, Kevin, IOP new guy with all the cars, Boomin33 ? and I should know who the red H reg is?

simonprelude
28-10-2007, 09:18 PM
You got any after pictures ??

Sorry I couldn't make it, something else cropped up :(

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc125/mart155/DSCF1924a.jpg

mart155
28-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Sorry Simon, my camera couldn't cope with the the after shots. There was so much glare from the high gloss finish that it couldn't focus properly:D

AR
28-10-2007, 09:39 PM
The sportier looking one is Kevin's IMHO.

TheQuietOne
28-10-2007, 09:58 PM
The H plate is Kare's very tidy car! Here's my favourite pic of the day...I'll post some after pics of mine machine polished thanks to Kevin for the kit and James for 2 days hard work tomorrow when I have a decent camera rather than my phone (pics below but awful quality!)

Now we've tested the format maybe we can have a larger scale open event at my factory if anyone is interested for early next year?

Kevin
28-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Stop that car, before it eats Paul!

Kevin
28-10-2007, 10:11 PM
James, unable to control himself in all the excitement.

Kevin
28-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Mat wondering where James is planning to stick the jet wash next.

Kevin
28-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Kare paying lots of attention to his rear end.

Kevin
28-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Line up of the OCD therapy group.

TheSebringOne
28-10-2007, 10:32 PM
So this was'nt exactly wash & go then! Maybe this is the future of NSX meets! Personally I prefer a more relaxed approach, meet up and have some pub grub and do the washing before hand! All very clean cars though! Matt, your car looks damn shiny abeit even with a camera phone!

AR
28-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Porter Cable. :)

Papalazarou
29-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Well, apart from receiving an enima with the jet wash! I had a really good day.
The revelation was Kevins buffer which totally transformed Matts car without the fear of melting clearcoat or going through to the metal on the edges. It may have taken a little longer but the results were pretty damn good!

Anyway, here are a few of my camera phone pic's.....

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
29-10-2007, 09:50 AM
did no one get some b4 and after photo's of Lukes engine bay?

Thanx to Matt for his hospitality .... if only I had noted his valetting technique .... oh yes, I remember .... its called lets watch James clean my car :laugh:

It was a good day and thanx Kevin for the PC demo. I'm pleased to report that my NSX didn't eat me and that its tonsils are now clean and shiney :) Still some work to do, particularly to some brackets that need refurbing, but I'm pleased with the progress so far.

regards, Paul

WhyOne?
29-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Still some work to do, particularly to some brackets that need refurbing, but I'm pleased with the progress so far.

Looking good Paul!

Coincidentally, I got around to replacing Y1's battery this weekend...a nice gentle 30 min. job.

I removed the spare wheel and it's mounting bracket, loosened the battery retaining bracket and lifted it, along with the battery + container, out of the car.

Despite the 'front' compartment of Y1 being quite clean and sparkly, I hadn't delved this deep before. There was much spraying and wiping and polishing to do back there, but most significantly, the plastic coated battery retaining bracket looked an awful lot like yours Paul - it had cracked, let in water and corroded. Clearly it would have been silly just to pop it back in, so I decided to refurb it there and then.

About 40% of the black plastic coating peeled away easily (to reveal varying degrees of rust). The other 60% remained firmly attached as Honda intended. After a little head scratching I decided a blow torch was the answer. I set about heating the plastic and found that once it was hot (but not to the point it was bubbling) it came of very easily and cleanly using a wallpaper scraper.

Once free of black plastic I gave the whole bracket a jolly good seeing too with a wire brush attachment on my dremmel. I then washed the thing in IPA (no, not beer!) and then applied 12 thin coats of smooth black hammerite over the next 24 hours.

So, a little more than 32 hours after starting my 30 minite job, it was done!

TheSebringOne
30-10-2007, 12:35 AM
So I'm not the only one with paint peeling away from the battery bracket! Must be a rare item thats not up to the usual Honda standards!

Whyone, did you hand paint the hammerite or can you now buy a spray version? 12 coats sounds excessive, thats more than the car body itself! To get 12 coats to stay on, Did you artificially speed up the drying process as its autumn, ie stick it near a house rad? Whats IPA?

Paul, knowing you're a perfectionists! The sensor thats bolted on the top left side of the rad fan surround has a little corrosion. I took mine off this year, gently wired brushed it, anti rust, primed it and then hand painted black paint around those annoying round holes.

Matt, great looking shiny car now courtesy of a certain ForumAdmin !

WhyOne?
30-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Whyone, did you hand paint the hammerite or can you now buy a spray version? 12 coats sounds excessive, thats more than the car body itself! To get 12 coats to stay on, Did you artificially speed up the drying process as its autumn, ie stick it near a house rad? Whats IPA?

I used and aerosol and very thin coats, applied in my garage with a heater going. Finish is nice and shiney and tough!

IPA....Indian Pale Ale (or Isopropyl Alcohol...which is what I used to clean the bracket before spraying).

TheQuietOne
31-10-2007, 10:05 PM
OK very late reply thanks to severe overworking but here are a few pictures of my car after 10+ hours of mine and James's time restoring her to her factory beauty! I had a great day, learnt a lot - and by Sunday afternoon had a stunning car! Thanks Kevin for the equipment - 'Flossy' will be cared for don't worry :D.

TheQuietOne
31-10-2007, 10:10 PM
A few more...

Senninha
31-10-2007, 10:14 PM
...my car after 10+ hours of mine and James's time restoring her to her factory beauty! I had a great day, learnt a lot - and by Sunday afternoon had a stunning car! :D.
Great work Gents, when shall I drop mine off?

regards, Paul

TheQuietOne
31-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Great work Gents, when shall I drop mine off?

regards, Paul

When ever you want mate - it's a long walk back though...:D

The pics don't do it justice shrunken and compressed to be 'postable' - I've not actually driven it on the road yet, I just keep driving it into the factory so I can look at it while I'm running machinery...now that is sad!!!!!!!!!!!

Senninha
31-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Next time you roll into the factory, can you have a go at cutting the logo as discussed please?

regards, Paul

TheQuietOne
31-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Next time you roll into the factory, can you have a go at cutting the logo as discussed please?

regards, Paul

Ah yes, did you want Red on Black so to speak? I might have a play and post some in the For Sale bit actually some time soon...

Silver Surfer
31-10-2007, 11:11 PM
No swirls....great effort.

So when is 'flossy' travelling south? Might as well stick with 'Reds' for the time before switching colour. :D right Luke/Martin (155)

SS

TheSebringOne
31-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Matt, thats the shiniest Red I've ever seen! Looks fab! :thumbsup:

Luke, bit worried about you attacking a stuff white pony or is that my eyes deceiving me! :D

forumadmin
01-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Matt, did you go through all the stages of polish? Did you use the final glaze?

When you finished with the machine, have you waxed. Adding more layers of wax will add depth to the shine.

nb. Autoglym polish is not wax!

Also remember what put the swirl marks into the paint in the first place. It was washing and polishing the car by hand. So now you should never rub anything over the paint work again to keep it this way.:)

Papalazarou
01-11-2007, 09:06 AM

When you finished with the machine, have you waxed. Adding more layers of wax will add depth to the shine.

Also remember what put the swirl marks into the paint in the first place. It was washing and polishing the car by hand. So now you should never rub anything over the paint work again to keep it this way.:)

We tried a few different products, but in the end we used the 3M finessit to start, then buffed on and off some maguires canuba wax, then put a coating of Auto-Glym hi-gloss on there by hand.

From experience, the canuba wax is a pig to get off with a cloth, but with the buffer (using the soft shower cap) it came off easily.

This was probably not the textbook way to do things, but the finish was pretty amazing. Made me wish I still had a red car.

Cheers,

James.

Anyway,

TheQuietOne
01-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Matt, thats the shiniest Red I've ever seen! Looks fab! :thumbsup:

Luke, bit worried about you attacking a stuff white pony or is that my eyes deceiving me! :D

Thanks - and you should have seen what he was doing with it before he put it down and I got my camera ready...:D

We nearly had LankyPegasus on our hands...:eek:

TheQuietOne
01-11-2007, 10:07 AM

As James said above we used a slightly unusual method but having tried the various permatations on the bonnet - ie all the different products you had, including the Sonus stuff we found the best combination was that detailed. I have to say the depth of shine is just incredible. Oh and we had a slight mis-hap with one of the threaded pads :( (white) where do I click to replace that - and get a new yellow velcro one as it is now basically Ascari red...?

Silver Surfer
01-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Oh and we had a slight mis-hap with one of the threaded pads :( (white) where do I click to replace that - and get a new yellow velcro one as it is now basically Ascari red...?

No need to replace as yet until the other 2-3 red cars have been buffed!:D

SS

Kevin
01-11-2007, 02:40 PM
As James said above we used a slightly unusual method but having tried the various permatations on the bonnet - ie all the different products you had, including the Sonus stuff we found the best combination was that detailed. I have to say the depth of shine is just incredible. Oh and we had a slight mis-hap with one of the threaded pads :( (white) where do I click to replace that - and get a new yellow velcro one as it is now basically Ascari red...?

No need really. The white pad with the black backing plate came with the polisher, and I've not used it. As long as the velcro white pad is washed out it can be used again. It can always be used as a backing pad for use with the shower caps. Everything can go in a washing machine on a low temp, and using a liquid washing detergent, NOT powder, and no softeners.

You know you need to buy special lambswool washing mitts, special shampoos and waxes now to keep the car shiny. You've started an obsession that will drive you crazy now!

So, now that the process has been done once by me, and proven by a 'independant' witness, who else wants their car done?

Where was the 3M stuff bought from, James?

I failed to bring along my 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's the stuff for door seals and hoses etc.

Have you put wax on the wheels to keep the brake dust off?

Senninha
01-11-2007, 03:07 PM
HI Kevin,

I will be passing Matts factory next week, would you mind if I collected the equipment and had a go on my NSX please?

Happy to replace any products used in the process if you point me to the appropriate website to purchase.

I've had a text from Luke to ask if he could be next in line?

Regards and fingers crossed, Paul

Lankstarr
01-11-2007, 03:37 PM
HI Kevin,

I will be passing Matts factory next week, would you mind if I collected the equipment and had a go on my NSX please?

Happy to replace any products used in the process if you point me to the appropriate website to purchase.

I've had a text from Luke to ask if he could be next in line?

Regards and fingers crossed, Paul

I've got shiny envy!

If it's OK with you Kevin I'd like a go as well. Ditto what Paul said about repllacing any products with better / other stuff to try if you want?

Silver Surfer
01-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Oi!!! Get in line :D I would like to be after Paul or luke as they will be bringing the gizmo closer to my county!!;)

SS

Papalazarou
01-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Kevin,

I bought the 3m finessit from a motor factor who specialize in paint. But I've just done a quick search and found it here;

http://www.cartersconsumables.co.uk/finesseit-material-polish-litre-p-530.html

There are no doubt many different products out there, but that seemed to work well and was sympathetic to the paint.

Cheers,

James.

AR
02-11-2007, 03:12 AM
The one thing that worries me with many of them products is how much cutting some have.

I quite like the Zymol system, hard work, expensive, but long lasting shine and protection.

BTW Great results guys!

Cheers,

AR

forumadmin
02-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Paul,

Yes collect to kit from Matt, it needs bringing back down to this part of the country anyway.

Could you stop by my house as you won't need the rotary buffer, and I want flossy back so I can wash my car.

My bits were bought from the States. The pads are made by Sonus, I haven't looked for a UK stockist.

Buffing (or paint correction, as some poncy people call it), needs to be done after claying the paint. So you need to get some quality clays.

Senninha
02-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Kevin,

I will collect next week and drop by yours probably Thursday afternoon.

Looking at my diary / work, I've arranged to lend on to SS first then I will have back for the week of the 19th when I have some time.

I think Luke is next in line so make arrangements with him to collect after me.

Matt is putting in an order for pads to cover his use and mine to ensure you stock list is kept upto date.

Thanx again for making available

regards, Paul

markc
06-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Did anyone have any thoughts, products, techniques or top-tips for recovering the shine on heat "stained" stainless steel?

My tailpipes are letting the side down and I can't find a product that touches the brownish heat staining hat has built up. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Mark

mart155
06-11-2007, 09:47 PM
http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc125/mart155/?start=all

AR
06-11-2007, 10:14 PM
When is the next one???

AR
06-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Did anyone have any thoughts, products, techniques or top-tips for recovering the shine on heat "stained" stainless steel?

My tailpipes are letting the side down and I can't find a product that touches the brownish heat staining hat has built up. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Mark

I think that once it gets like that is quite hard but Silvo with Wadding will work. You can try some 2000 wet dry and then polish it.

Cheers,

AR

NSXGB
06-11-2007, 10:42 PM
When is the next one???

....I'd be up for that.....do we just drop our cars off and pick them up an hour or so later? :)

Papalazarou
08-11-2007, 09:36 AM
I think that once it gets like that is quite hard but Silvo with Wadding will work. You can try some 2000 wet dry and then polish it.

Cheers,

AR

I used a similar technique when I cleaned up the Tubi; autosol and wire wool. Seemed to work fine with no scratching.

Cheers,

James.

Kevin
08-11-2007, 10:01 AM
I used a similar technique when I cleaned up the Tubi; autosol and wire wool. Seemed to work fine with no scratching.

Cheers,

James.

Autoglym metal polish and a polishing head on an electric drill.

If it can't be done with power tools, I don't do it.

Papalazarou
08-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Autoglym metal polish and a polishing head on an electric drill.

If it can't be done with power tools, I don't do it.

There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm too polite to got there.

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
11-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Matt,

Good to see you in the week and I'm very impressed that you arranged that downpoor to show off the beading effects of all yours and James' hard work :laugh:

I just found the attached and I'm thinking yo may need to have another go at the shiniest Red contest photo's ;)

regards, Paul

(Kevin, pc is with Kare this week)

TheSebringOne
12-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Nice find Paul, some lovely bulges in that picture! I meant the wheel arch bulges!? Strange as never seen them before on an NSX, is it an US body kit maker? Looks strange! Now back to the real bulges! :D:eek:

jaytip
19-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Nice find Paul, some lovely bulges in that picture! I meant the wheel arch bulges!? Strange as never seen them before on an NSX, is it an US body kit maker? Looks strange! Now back to the real bulges! :D:eek:
It's just wheel arch extensions,but i think they look quite good.
So can anybody answer Ary's question,about the next spit'n'polish meet.I think there could be a few up for it.
1: Ary
2: NSXGB
3: Ivor
4: ??

Senninha
19-11-2007, 07:24 PM
So can anybody answer Ary's question,about the next spit'n'polish meet.I think there could be a few up for it.

I've spoken to a few and suggested that maybe we could organise for a couple of these leading up to next years Japfest? The key would be to properly organise the day with interested parties completing some actions before arriving if we are to get the best results for as many as poss on the day(s).

Any such days are subject to Kevin and Dan offering the use of the CP tools. If all are keen to get stuck in then we could buff n polish 4-6 cars to a good finish on a day IMO.

regards, Paul

Kevin
19-11-2007, 07:47 PM
(Kevin, pc is with Kare this week)

Oh dear, I've seen what Kare is like with a spanner in his hand, dread to think how he's going to handle power tools.:eek:

simonprelude
19-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Well if people can arrange equipment and things then welcome to use my place.

Facilities not quite up to Matt's but you can prepare 2 cars at a time in the garage and wash outside ?? It would have to be in December though.

Silver Surfer
19-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Hardy Ha Ha!!

I am all for electric....not so good manually required task that's all.....I did wonder why you won't let me have a go on the blow-torch! I think I 'll be good on the spinning cutting thing as well!....:laugh:

I'll need reservation at KevSpeed soon.

SS

Oh dear, I've seen what Kare is like with a spanner in his hand, dread to think how he's going to handle power tools.:eek:

NSXGB
29-11-2007, 10:13 AM
did no one get some b4 and after photo's of Lukes engine bay?

Thanx to Matt for his hospitality .... if only I had noted his valetting technique .... oh yes, I remember .... its called lets watch James clean my car :laugh:

It was a good day and thanx Kevin for the PC demo. I'm pleased to report that my NSX didn't eat me and that its tonsils are now clean and shiney :) Still some work to do, particularly to some brackets that need refurbing, but I'm pleased with the progress so far.

regards, Paul

Paul, I see that you have removed the spare wheel as a lot of us have, but you have also removed the carrier bracket too. I was under the impression that this provided a bit of structural support as well as a spare tyre holder....is this not true? Am I missing a trick by not removing another few Kg's from my motor?

WhyOne?
29-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Dependent on timing / location, I would be very intereted.

It's just wheel arch extensions,but i think they look quite good.
1: Ary
2: NSXGB
3: Ivor
4: Ian (WhyOne?)

simonprelude
29-11-2007, 10:37 AM
As above, offer still stands for December, have space, hosepipe, pressure washer and room for 2 cars indoors if the weather is bad.

Papalazarou
29-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Sure, I'll be up for that. busy the weekend of the 15th though.

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
29-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Paul, I see that you have removed the spare wheel as a lot of us have, but you have also removed the carrier bracket too. I was under the impression that this provided a bit of structural support as well as a spare tyre holder....is this not true? Am I missing a trick by not removing another few Kg's from my motor?

Spare wheel and bracket are out as I have the Procar NSX-R bonnet and OEM rad ducting. I'm not aware of the wheel holder adding ay structural benefit, plus I'm installing the chassis bars once I work out how to extend the days to 36hours!

regards, Paul

NSXGB
29-11-2007, 05:28 PM
With you...A few more Kg's to lose for me then!

donglethegreat
22-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Where ever those cars are being washed looks spookily like the technology park at Stafford….. its probably not and just built as a clone by the same builders…..but looks the same to me…

Nice shine!

Jake Stag
28-03-2010, 05:58 PM
You got any after pictures ??

Sorry I couldn't make it, something else cropped up :(

now there's a cool thing never seen so many Nsx's in one place i need to get out more:eek: