PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Gauge

mart155
16-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Anyone got a spare fuel/voltage gauge knocking about.
My voltage one doesn't work, apparently it never has since car was imported.

I know it isn't the fuse and the service manual says if it aint the fuse, replace the gauge. The fuel side is working fine.

Unless of course, anyone knows of anything else I can check....
Cheers
Mart.

rkanaga
16-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Sorry, can't help.

But, why do NSX's have a voltage meter?

Either you have volts in which case the car works, or you don't and it doesn't?!!

Or am I missing something?

Robin

TheSebringOne
16-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I think serious performance or super cars, its a must have. I have found it useful since I only use the car about once a fornight, so nice to know what the charge in the battery is like and act as a warning! Or its just that I'm into gauges and like to know how the car feelings!

mart155
16-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I know a lot of cars don't have voltage meter's / gauges these days but it bugs the hell out of me if something doesn't work hence my wish to replace it.

On the other hand however, I have just been looking at the service manual to see how easy it is to replace.

Answer ..... Not. If the manual is anything to go by.
It looks like even the steering column has to be lowered to enable you to get the gauge assembly out.

Has anyone here ever done this?
Do you know if its possible to remove the fuel/voltage gauge without actually taking out the whole gauge assembly.
God I hope so. If not, I may just live with it.

Martyn27_uk
02-11-2007, 10:06 PM
'cos when mine dropped from 16v to 13v I knew I was in for an £800 repair bill :-(

AR
02-11-2007, 10:16 PM
I know a lot of cars don't have voltage meter's / gauges these days but it bugs the hell out of me if something doesn't work hence my wish to replace it.

On the other hand however, I have just been looking at the service manual to see how easy it is to replace.

Answer ..... Not. If the manual is anything to go by.
It looks like even the steering column has to be lowered to enable you to get the gauge assembly out.

Has anyone here ever done this?
Do you know if its possible to remove the fuel/voltage gauge without actually taking out the whole gauge assembly.

It is quite easy to do mate.

It just takes a bit of time.

Is all in the manual.

If you are not to bothered then leave it as it will cost more to fix than the benefit.

Cheers,

AR

britlude
02-11-2007, 10:16 PM

you'd have to take out the whole instrument cluster, and no, you don't have to remove/unbolt anything on the column, or even any column covers, just drop it on the normal adjuster lever....

Senninha
03-11-2007, 12:23 AM

Drop column to lowest setting but only AFTER you have removed the knee pad to the lower dash. I found it easiest to do this lying on my back in the footwell. You can also get to all the electronic plugs behind the switch gear that needs unplugging to remove the dash.

From the drivers seat release the dash cowl (about 4 screws from memory) then the retaining screws to the cluster can be accessed and released.

IIRC, tha hardest part to release was the connectors near to the ignition switch.

Tools needed, lon handle and stubby Philips
Knuckles graxed - 2 - own fault

Install is obvious reversal of the above. To be fair, it is a reasonably easy job if you're fairly competent DIY.

Good luck, Paul

mart155
04-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys,
Sounds like it won't be too bad. Think I will try and get hold of a gauge and have a go. Maybe a job for next spring.
Cheers
Martin.