PDA

View Full Version : RS4 Avant test drive

NoelWatson
13-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Firstly the background. I have an 04 NSX and the other half an 04 Cooper. We were thinking of either

Scenario 1:

Replace NSX with RS4 Avant

Replace Cooper with 1.6 Focus (sensible shopping car)
Scenario 2:

Keep NSX

Replace Cooper with Focus ST
We went to look at an RS4 last weekend and I was disappointed with the quality of the interior for a near 50k motor vehicle. I was hoping the driving experience would change all that. Here are my views after my test today

Noise:

It has a mighty 420 PS but where was the noise? Maybe the sport button hadn't been pressed, but this wouldn't give an increased induction noise that the NSX has by the bucketload.

Avant 5

NSX 10
Performance:

Was expecting a big kick when the car came on cam. Maybe it didn't feel quick because it was more civilised. Certainly not the amount quicker than the NSX I was expecting

Avant 8

NSX 8
Gearchange:

Wobbly slack rubbish

Avant: 4

NSX: 10
Seating:

I love sitting low in the NSX despite the lack of headroom. RS4 seemed way too high

Avant 5
NSX 8

So, maybe I was expecting too much given the hype, but I will hopefully be keeping the X for a few more years yet. We popped into the BMW garage on the way home and took a 123d out. 204 bhp from a 2.0 diesel. Will see how the Focus compares tomorrow

dan the man
13-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for your thougts, always good to hear, not much in NSX and RS4 i dont think on paper at least.... Do sound good from the outisde tho !

ST lovely car, my freiend has one. 3 version. U must get leather, makes the interior so much better and are great seats. Good 5 warble pop too when warm. let us know what u think, i think the steering is great on them. but after the X did feel underpower and missing top end buzz. But 2 different cars as u are fully aware.

TheSebringOne
14-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Glad the NSX still feels very special! They are two different cars, one a super saloon/Avant with great engine, Quattro & practicality. The other a two seater supercar with decent boot! I had a quick test in an RS4 when just released of a friend of a friend, as Dan says its sounds better from the outside than inside with all the sound proofing/civilised ergonomics! The NSX sounds awesome from the inside, but thats not quite reflected on the outside for bystanders! Suppose they are opposites in terms of inside/outside noise and being V6 v V8! A cat back zorst upgrade easily cures that! Even though performance is the about the same, RS4 having an extra 124 bhp over a 3.2, but weighs 1650kg v 1385? on 3.2.
My 2p! As you say keep the NSX and get something more practical, but fast & fun too! :)

Rob_Fenn
15-10-2007, 08:29 AM
I was reading about the 1 series in Autocar in their green car feature. The diesel does very well, being both quick and very frugal. Driven a new Mini Cooper and must say it is a very decent car, much better overall than the outgoing model. Doesn't look as good mind...

Glad you're keeping faith with the NSX :D

NoelWatson
17-10-2007, 07:12 PM
I think this will be the ultimate replacement for mine in a few years

http://www.philly.com/philly/classifieds/cars/Acura_NSX_vs_Audi_R8.html

will wait to see how the residuals play out and see what the V10 is like.

My idea of what a V8 should sound like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uW0dJyMKsU

Senninha
17-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I think this will be the ultimate replacement for mine in a few years

http://www.philly.com/philly/classifieds/cars/Acura_NSX_vs_Audi_R8.html

Good article, again making a reference to the NSX and R8 as having been born from similar minded engineers, albeit 17yrs apart

When watching TG last week, the R8 vs 911, I sat there thinking why dont they put an NA2 NSX alongside for comparison (and possible surprise)

regards,

NoelWatson
17-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Good article, again making a reference to the NSX and R8 as having been born from similar minded engineers, albeit 17yrs apart

When watching TG last week, the R8 vs 911, I sat there thinking why dont they put an NA2 NSX alongside for comparison (and possible surprise)

regards,

When the fuss dies down in a year or so, I may go for a test drive and see what the R8 is like. I've tried the 997 C4S, wasn't overly impressed, although I assume the GT3 is completely different

Senninha
17-10-2007, 08:29 PM
At present I really dont like those stupid lights at the front, and for me the side profile is out of balance.

Strangely enough, when the NSX was first launched (and I was there!!), I felt that it was almost perfect and wished that it had a shorter rear.

I was drawn to the R8's sister car but once parked next to it found myself asking why? I think this is the problem with the current breed of supersports - if you park an NSX next to one, they suddenly dont look so sporty or low.
The other issue I have with them is that they may all be laden with technology, advanced computers for a variety of driver aids (I thought these were drivers cars :shh:), latest toys etc, but they all cost upwards of £70k for cars that in the real world will do very, very little more than a stock NSX.

I somehow think that the only thing to replace the NSX would be the DB9 .... or maybe, just maybe, the fantastic looking new Maserati.

regards,

AR
17-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I had a chance to look very closely at the R8 they are raffling at Heathrow Airport. I was not impressed. The numbers impressed me evn less. For that money I would get a nice NSX-R or Type S/Zero. Maybe even a Z06.

Senninha
17-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Maybe even a Z06. :laugh::no::eek::laugh: what have you been drinking buddy?

TheSebringOne
17-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm in slight agreement with Ary, my neighbour got an old shape C5, its a tad too quick for me in a straight line! Not really had fun with him when roads get twisty! (345bhp, 60 in 4.5). As for the newer C6, they apparantly can corner quite well and even quicker (40K ish?), but the ZO6 is a serious bit of track kit (high 50K & 60 in under 4!). Still would'nt get one tho being FRP and big brutal engine!

AR
18-10-2007, 01:41 AM
:laugh::no::eek::laugh: what have you been drinking buddy?

Paul,

For US $ 70.000.00 one can get a brand new 2008 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06, as much as I like the NSX the C6 Z06 is a beast, on and off track.

Cheers,

Ary

NoelWatson
18-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Paul,

For US $ 70.000.00 one can get a brand new 2008 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06, as much as I like the NSX the C6 Z06 is a beast, on and off track.

Cheers,

Ary

I reckon David Yu's had the best sounding exhaust of any car at the recent VMax

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/205015/lingenfelter_corvette_z06.html

Nick Graves
22-10-2007, 07:30 PM
At present I really dont like those stupid lights at the front, and for me the side profile is out of balance.

Strangely enough, when the NSX was first launched (and I was there!!), I felt that it was almost perfect and wished that it had a shorter rear.

I was drawn to the R8's sister car but once parked next to it found myself asking why? I think this is the problem with the current breed of supersports - if you park an NSX next to one, they suddenly dont look so sporty or low.
The other issue I have with them is that they may all be laden with technology, advanced computers for a variety of driver aids (I thought these were drivers cars :shh:), latest toys etc, but they all cost upwards of £70k for cars that in the real world will do very, very little more than a stock NSX.

I somehow think that the only thing to replace the NSX would be the DB9 .... or maybe, just maybe, the fantastic looking new Maserati.

regards,

I agree with that.

Except, that if you like them front-engined, might as well hang on for a decent car instead; the Acura S5000!

jaytip
27-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Firstly the background. I have an 04 NSX and the other half an 04 Cooper. We were thinking of either

Scenario 1:

Replace NSX with RS4 Avant

Replace Cooper with 1.6 Focus (sensible shopping car)
Scenario 2:

Keep NSX

Replace Cooper with Focus ST
We went to look at an RS4 last weekend and I was disappointed with the quality of the interior for a near 50k motor vehicle. I was hoping the driving experience would change all that. Here are my views after my test today

Noise:

It has a mighty 420 PS but where was the noise? Maybe the sport button hadn't been pressed, but this wouldn't give an increased induction noise that the NSX has by the bucketload.

Avant 5

NSX 10
Performance:

Was expecting a big kick when the car came on cam. Maybe it didn't feel quick because it was more civilised. Certainly not the amount quicker than the NSX I was expecting

Avant 8

NSX 8
Gearchange:

Wobbly slack rubbish

Avant: 4

NSX: 10
Seating:

I love sitting low in the NSX despite the lack of headroom. RS4 seemed way too high

Avant 5
NSX 8

So, maybe I was expecting too much given the hype, but I will hopefully be keeping the X for a few more years yet. We popped into the BMW garage on the way home and took a 123d out. 204 bhp from a 2.0 diesel. Will see how the Focus compares tomorrow
I'm supprised at the highlighted comment.Audi is generaly regarded as having the best interior of all the mainstream brands.I'm on my 7th Audi and they have all felt solid and rattle free.

TheSebringOne
27-10-2007, 11:59 AM
My partner had a 225 TT about 5.5 years ago, interior was one of the best finishes I've ever seen and ergonomics was great too, shame about the Golf based chassis !!

NoelWatson
28-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm supprised at the highlighted comment.Audi is generaly regarded as having the best interior of all the mainstream brands.I'm on my 7th Audi and they have all felt solid and rattle free.

Maybe my expectations were too high, as people tend to slate the interior of the NSX and throw praise at the A4.

rsevo6
29-10-2007, 09:05 AM
You tried the wrong RS4:rolleyes:

Try the old 2.7 bi-turbo RS4 and you will be blown away by the sound (makes the hairs on your neck stand up, at least with me) and performance.
The new RS4 4.2 is by no way as exiting as the older 2.7 turbo version, that is MUCH more fun;)

TheSebringOne
30-10-2007, 01:36 AM
Having not driven the old model with its 2.7 TT, I'm surprised that it sounds alot better than the new 4.2 V8 NA engined version?

jaytip
30-10-2007, 04:22 AM
You tried the wrong RS4:rolleyes:

Try the old 2.7 bi-turbo RS4 and you will be blown away by the sound (makes the hairs on your neck stand up, at least with me) and performance.
The new RS4 4.2 is by no way as exiting as the older 2.7 turbo version, that is MUCH more fun;)
You must have tried one with a miltek on it then.I have a standard RS4 and it's boring compered to the NSX.I agree with you regarding performance though:yes: