PDA

View Full Version : Davos to Stelvio

Boomin33
08-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Sorry to tease...

for anyone who watched Top Gear last night, man... how the mind does like to wander & dream...

Is it doable, any decent ferries land nearby ?

forumadmin
08-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Of course its doable, and pretty much already done.

If you read the articles up in the main section of the website, you'll see Mark did pretty much the same thing last year.

There's no ferries nearby, as its in the Alps, and a bit hilly for boats.

richmills
08-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Sorry to tease...

for anyone who watched Top Gear last night, man... how the mind does like to wander & dream...

Is it doable, any decent ferries land nearby ?

I know what you mean, it looked gorgeous.

Well I expect my current contract to end early next year and I fancy a couple of months off. A road trip round some of the nicer bits of Europe could definitely be on the cards :)

Don't know about ferries down there though, if I do it I'll be driving all the way.

Cheers, Rich.

forumadmin
08-10-2007, 03:48 PM
It's quite simple to do such a trip. Especially by yourself rather than organise a group thing.

I like to use www.mappy.com (http://www.mappy.com) for European planning. Tells you where the cameras are too.

So Davos is 940kms from Calais. 85kms to Stelvio, however I don't know if that takes you over the Stelvio pass.

From there I would head onto Monaco, and then back up to Blighty.

I'm tempted to do the trip next year, but we are planning to go to Bordeaux instead. (Another NSX trip?)

Another idea, is to take a week off, have no plans for a route, and just drive one day at a time, in any random direction.

forumadmin
08-10-2007, 03:50 PM
I know what you mean, it looked gorgeous.

Well I expect my current contract to end early next year and I fancy a couple of months off. A road trip round some of the nicer bits of Europe could definitely be on the cards :)

Don't know about ferries down there though, if I do it I'll be driving all the way.

Cheers, Rich.

If its early next year you won't be driving far at that time of year. We'll be there then, with boards strapped on, and sliding down the hills not driving around.

Silver Surfer
08-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Don't really want to take the X on thoses beautiful road if they got snow on them! Those stone walls around the roads look rather menacing when skidding around.

I think late spring or early summer would be good.

SS

richmills
08-10-2007, 04:14 PM
If its early next year you won't be driving far at that time of year. We'll be there then, with boards strapped on, and sliding down the hills not driving around.

Yeah the thought had crossed my mind that the timing might not be best. Still it's not absolutely clear when I might be free, if it's more like the start of spring time then it could be fine.

Thanks for the link on the previous post, that looks useful. I'm much more in mind of the just head off and go where the scenery looks nice sort of trip, but some advanced planning of possibilities wouldn't hurt :)

Cheers, Rich.

Senninha
08-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm much more in mind of the just head off and go where the scenery looks nice sort of trip, but some advanced planning of possibilities wouldn't hurt :)

Cheers, Rich.
When I went on the bike a couple of years ago, it was very much this style of picking a point the night before and heading that way, aiming to find good roads on route.

Proved to be very successful

regards, Paul

Boomin33
08-10-2007, 05:28 PM

Word. ;)

started going to gym last week getting the bag of bones ready for Huck-Fest 2008.
I've scared the crap out of myself on the cliffs of Parsenn and Jakobshorn in Davos a couple times.

Not a place for an NSX during the winter season.

just started the thread as the trip looked awesome and a heck of a lot more fun than the day job.

maybe this thread should be moved to general discussion?

markc
08-10-2007, 06:47 PM
The higher passes are closed until they're safely passable by cars so you won't even get the chance to go up in the snow and risk your car.

I went in the second week of April a few years back and the St Bernardino and Gottardo passes were still closed. We didn't venture over as far west as the Stelvio/Umbrail etc but anything as high as these will almost certaily still be closed off until May(ish)?

We had to go though the 17Km Gottardo tunnel instead which is still longest road tunnel in the Alps and quite something in itself :) Did the Mt Blanc tunnel (11.7Km, 4th longest) in the same trip and added the Arlberg tunnel (14Km, 2nd longest) last year. Guess I need to add the Frejus tunnel (13Km, 3rd longest) to get the tee-shirt :)

I fancy doing the Route Napolean down to Nice followed by the Route Des Grand Alps up to Geneva next. The latter includes the Col de Turini which the Top Gear boys also did and the Col de L'Iseran (up to Val d'Isere) which at 2,770m is even higher than the Slevio (2,758m).

http://www.routedesgrandesalpes.com/pages/home/index.php

Ohh and need to venture over the Millau Bridge at some point as well!!!

So many roads so little holiday :(

Mark

Senninha
08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Mark
Yes would like to include this at some point. I've stood below it as we rode to it one evening before it was open. My mate Terry has just come back and simply describes it as awesome!

regards, Paul

NSX 2000
08-10-2007, 09:28 PM
We had to go though the 17Km Gottardo tunnel instead which is still longest road tunnel in the Alps and quite something in itself :) Did the Mt Blanc tunnel (11.7Km, 4th longest) in the same trip and added the Arlberg tunnel (14Km, 2nd longest) last year. Guess I need to add the Frejus tunnel (13Km, 3rd longest) to get the tee-shirt :)

We did the Gottardo tunnel in a convertible with the roof down, the out side air temp gauge read 15 deg C when we went in and at one point in the tunnel it read 35 deg C. All I can say is don't do it in a convertible with the roof down!

I fancy doing the Route Napolean down to Nice followed by the Route Des Grand Alps up to Geneva next. The latter includes the Col de Turini which the Top Gear boys also did and the Col de L'Iseran (up to Val d'Isere) which at 2,770m is even higher than the Slevio (2,758m).

I've read a lot about the Route Napolean recently and would also love to do this road!

I did the Millau Bridge at the end of 06 in the X and yes it is a major piece of engineering and a work of art.

dan the man
10-10-2007, 07:52 PM
just watched top gear tonight as missed it on sunday.

Good roads !

craigdonnelly
10-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Why don't some of you guys get into your NSX's and head upto Scotland??! Last months issue of EVO featured the GT3 RS and Gallardo Superlaggera in Scotland. When Driving to Scotland once past Carlise the journalist said that he couldn't remember a time when he enjoyed driving on a motorway more and said that the roads from Glen Coe to Loch Lomand were some of the best he's ever driven!

Obviously I would love to drive through the Alps but if time and money are scarce don't ignore Bonnie Scotland. I'm a Patriotic Scot but if you think I'm Bias read last months Evo.

Senninha
10-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Obviously I would love to drive through the Alps but if time and money are scares don't ignore Bonnie Scotland. I'm a Patriotic Scot but if you think I'm Bias read last months Evo.
Nothing wrong with being proud of your country ... I dont always buy EVO but this could be worth a read.. which month is it on the cover please Craig?

regards, Paul

craigdonnelly
10-10-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't know the issue number but it was last months and the front cover had the rear view of the new baby Mclaren.

simonprelude
10-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I subscribe, read it and bin most of them.
Can look for it if you want.

Nothing wrong with being proud of your country ... I dont always buy EVO but this could be worth a read.. which month is it on the cover please Craig?

regards, Paul

TheQuietOne
10-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I subscribe, read it and bin most of them

Show Off! :cool:

TheSebringOne
10-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Will check the Evo issue re Glencoe and Mallaig. I can concur they are some of the best roads in the UK, this months show the last ever handbuilt Aston Martin, a Vanquish and they took it from factory to Scotland and back to Gaydon! The driver stated that Glencoe is one if not the best scenic road in the British Isles! Since Scotland can be desolate away from the Cities/towns, all the major rural roads near/around the Highlands/lakes are all beautifully scenic! Also Betsw y Coed in North Wales is also great driving roads if Scotland is a little too far! :) Another Scot by birth! :thumbsup:

dan the man
11-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Ive rode scotland a few times (snowbaord) and yes the views always blew me away, the roads seemed quiet and proper nice in parts. Same as wales- but rode on a bike not a board !

simonprelude
11-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Can't keep everything :(

Oh how I wish they did a digital magazine like Road and Track do.

Show Off! :cool:

markc
11-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Yes must get to Scotland sometime to further my great road education.

I can vouch for North Wales/Snowdonia. Don't forget the Isle of Man, NO SPEED LIMIT out of the towns and over The Mountain :)

Mark

TheSebringOne
11-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Been to the Highlands, Glencoe, Mallaig but not in the X :( Its a must do car trip for real drivers!

Done the IOM in the X, awesome, but rained 2 out of 4 days! Must do it again when weather better near Summer time :thumbsup:

Not Done Betws Y Coed (N.Wales) in the X, but thats my next must do trip as not too far from NW, but not now as approaching Autumn! :yes:

Just checked Evo, issue 108 where they tested all the Lambos from Countach Annivesary to latest Gallardo Superleggre in N.Wales! Is the GT3 V Superleggre in another mag test?