PDA

View Full Version : Price guide to UK cars

dcmoore@timber.org.uk
03-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Is there a price guide for the NSX that I could trust to give me a sensible idea for a first time purchaser please?

Regards,

David Moore

Ferris Bueller
03-10-2007, 07:04 PM
What specific car are you talking about? I don't think general price guides apply with the NSX

AR
03-10-2007, 07:06 PM
There is not such thing as the cars price is mostly depending on condition rather than age.

Off the top of my head I would say you need at least £ 20K to buy a trouble free full service history UK car with no surprises.

Imports will be less unless is a special edition. 1990 to 1996 does not change much in £££ more so on condition and mileage to a degree. The 1997 - 2001 cars from £ 25k and up and 02 plus from £ 35k and up. Yes you can buy cheaper but don't forget that NSX labour and parts is not cheap.

Autos will be cheaper, so will targas, but that also can change depending on condition.

Best bet if you want one, buy from an owner, not a dealer.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
03-10-2007, 10:12 PM
David,

I agree with a lot of what Ary says. You havent said what you are looking for. When I was looking there were cars available for much the same values as today, ie £15k to £50k. For me it was deciding what I wanted, what I could and couldn't live with, then simply looking around for the best I could afford. Priorities for me were documented Honda history and no damage with the as many items from my wish list as possible.

IMO Sub £20k will buy you a nice JDM that has been in the UK for a few years and with some history or a well maintained but higher mileage UK car. (There's an example of each in the For Sale section)

MId to high £20's gets a late 3.0 or higher mileage 3.2. Autos are nice to drive but generally less sought after so expect a saving against a manual.

Around £30k buys you late 3.2 pop-ups (the hardest cars to find) with mid £30's the entry for the facelift cars.

Dont be overly worried by mileage if it has Honda history. There are several members here well past the 100k mile marker yet the cars look as though they have covered half this. This comment also backs up the 'Buy from a member' suggestion.

HTH, but do sit down and decide what you have to have then go find it.

All the best, Paul

PS - IIRC there are around 10 less cars to choose from when I was looking. Depending on what you are after, it could make you search harder or the purchase price interesting.

kevinpsw
06-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Parkers do have an NSX guide but, IMO, it is under-priced.

Condition and documentation are everything. Unless both are perfect, be wary high aspirations on price. People do tend to see their own cars through rose-tinted spectacles. Don't touch an auto unless you intend to keep for years or it's a low price; even immaculate autos will be very difficult to sell on later.

There are bargains to be had when people need to sell but most owners have an NSX as a second car and can afford to be patient when it comes to selling.

If you can afford to wait and you haggle hard a 96/97 3.0 manual with FHSH and all as it should be can be had for around £20k (there is a 96 on Autotrader now for £18,250 that is a decent car). A good older car can can be had for £15k. I saw a 2001 targa with 11.5k go for £26.5k but that was an anomaly.

AR
06-10-2007, 10:14 AM
(there is a 96 on Autotrader now for £18,250 that is a decent car).

If you do not mind a 4x4!

Senninha
16-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I saw a 2001 targa with 11.5k go for £26.5k but that was an anomaly.
Wasn't that snapped up by a dealer who then re-advertised a few days later for approx an extra £5k??

AR
16-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Wasn't that snapped up by a dealer who then re-advertised a few days later for approx an extra £5k??

With that mileage it probably needs some money spent in maintenance.

TheSebringOne
17-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Paul, I think that very shrewd trader actually added £7K to price!

AR
17-10-2007, 10:46 AM
The problem is that with the internet we all know how much he paid. Same as with the guy with the stripped car. Unless you can showed buyers that you spend a significant amount of money in the car, it will be hard to resale for thousands more than you paid.

Cheers,

AR