PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, plus report on the 94' JDM on Autotrader

spongebob
02-10-2007, 02:13 AM
Hi all, I've always been a NSX lover. I've owned a few different cars, Mk1 MR2, Civic Esi, MX5 supercharged, Skyline GTR and, most special of all to me, a Honda Beat, sadly now gone. I can still hear the little 3 cylinder reving to 9000rpm redline now.

Wanted a change from the GTR, I saw this 94' JDM NSX with 30000km for 26k GBP on Autotrader which is near me, so went to have a look. The car looks very clean and matches the mileage, except for some marks on the front bumper left by some stick-on bump guard. All panel gaps is good and the underside is very clean too. Its got a painted roof, the paint job is not bad, but the colour match is a bit off and and some very small spot correction/bubbles. Probably a aftermarket job, and not taken care that its a Alu panel. As you can see in the AutoT pic that its got 17/18 volks wheels, near new tread on all rubber but, near 7 yrs old... It also got some huge exhaust, carbon cans, we'll get to the noise in a bit ;) So all in all a very tidy exterior.

All seemed good and arranged for a road test another day, as the car was blocked in the back of the garage. Day of the road test, the car started nicely with 4 kg/cm oil pressure showing, and drop to 1 ish when warm, is this correct for a NSX? The exhaust is actually very quiet at idle dispite its size. All warning lights ok and goes out, checked most electric, not checked the CD changer though. Moving out of the car park, at parking speed, the steering is acceptable for a non-assisted rack, small price to pay for better feedback. Drove slowly for a few miles to let the engine warm up, no rattle or squeak i can hear, and the exhaust noise, with the window closed, is quiet enough not to have to yell to talk. The only thing I noticed is that the steering is not straight, so a geo-check is needed. Came off the A13 and turn around. Now the engine is fully warmed up :D , so into second and onto the slip road. The noise is amazing, combine with the big exhaust and a K&N filter, it changes from a deep, low note to a screaming V6 at 5000, then to a full blown F1 engine near the top end. That sound with stay with me forever :laugh: Change up to 3rd, then 4th, glance down and discover I was doing some silly speed, mmm...yes around 70...ish ;) The car feels very stable at motorway speed and no unusual noise. Before I knew it, the test drive was nearly over. As we stop at a few traffic lights, I have found that the clutch bitting point is unusally high, is this normal to NSX? From experience as a mechanic, I would say the clutch is on its way out... got back to the garage, I did a final check on the car with my friend. We then found that the driver window is catching on the B-piller when closing, and have taken paint off. Also the gas strut for the rear screen are short. There is also a strong clutch smell coming from the car... as I didn't do any drag style standing start and only put my foot down while its in gear, I don't see why the clutch should complain...

Now, I through for what he is asking, 26000GBP for a NA1, the car should be at top condition. So I went and tell him my "concern" about things I found. The impression I got was, "I don't know and don't care the window is catching" even though if it get any worst you won't be able to close the door, or worst still smash the window completely. And "So what if the clutch is going, you should expect it from a 13 yr old car", "I don't care if I don't sell it, but I'm not taking a penny off". At that point I lost interest and walked. To be honest, if its not because of his attitude problem, I would have given in to that price...because the condition of the car is so good, beside the clucth and a few bits. Please, I'm intersted in what all you think about this car and how much its worth?

AR
02-10-2007, 03:07 AM
The NSX clutch biting is normally higher than most and not much effort is needed. I would not trust the year unless you have a build sheet or the mileage unless a FSH.

I dont think that the car is worth 26K. The window can be adjusted.

Cheers,

AR

Papalazarou
02-10-2007, 07:39 AM
I considered that car also and was put off by
1. the price and
2. the same apathetic response; the guy told me that they weren't going to sell it and it was rare because it didn't have PAS (like all the other early cars then;-)

This car was up for 28K a while back but with no varified mileage before 2000.
It's way to much money even if it were a UK car. I'm not however knocking Imports, in fact some of the spec is actually preferable, but they do fetch slightly less money to a comparable UK car.

Cheers,

James.

gsuds
02-10-2007, 09:52 AM
No. You've always got to haggle a bit if you're selling. He might have the car a while yet...:rolleyes:

Wonder if miles actually a bit low for age? Cars don't like standing around. With a well-engineered car like NSX overall condition and maintenance more important than miles really.

Graham

spongebob
02-10-2007, 10:20 AM
To think that I nearly said Yes to that price...woops :rolleyes:

Yeah, he didn't have any history before 2000. Not even the de-registration doc. from Japan. Very important that doc. is, as I imported my skyline myself. All he got was some bills from local garages.

Life's a funny thing...After the road test that day, I though I'll pop down to TDi in Lakeside to ask about the work on the NSX clutch. As I pull up outside their garage, I saw the familiar long rear light cluster. As I walk in, its none other than the Black Turbo'd NSX they build 7 odd yrs ago. After all these yrs, its still going strong, a real testament of build quaility for Honda and Tdi. It was back in for a upgrade, is the owner on this forum? Will be nice to hear some details on the car. Also, I found out from Tdi that the JDM NSX also has a higher compression ratio, 10.7 or 10.9 can't remember exactly. Makes me wonder, if that NSX I just looked at has been running on V-power or not...

dan the man
02-10-2007, 06:32 PM
TDI north ?

TheSebringOne
02-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Dan, I know there is a TDI branch in Warrington aswell as the main one down South. A member here called NSXselby? (who lives near Bazza), had an oem clutch done there last year and it was far cheaper than Honda! Something which I may consider if a clutch is needed in the future! HTH

Silver Surfer
02-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Overpriced!!!

Here's a better one on ebay as well as on AT for a cheaper price. You can change the wheels if they aren't to your taste.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-RED-BLACK-3-0-MANUAL-HONDA-NSX-JAPANESE-IMPORT_W0QQitemZ260164926098QQihZ016QQcategoryZ182 06QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SS

simonprelude
03-10-2007, 06:30 AM
A car that quite a few of us have seen with a history that you can look into on here :)

Overpriced!!!

Here's a better one on ebay as well as on AT for a cheaper price. You can change the wheels if they aren't to your taste.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-RED-BLACK-3-0-MANUAL-HONDA-NSX-JAPANESE-IMPORT_W0QQitemZ260164926098QQihZ016QQcategoryZ182 06QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SS

dan the man
03-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Dan, I know there is a TDI branch in Warrington aswell as the main one down South. A member here called NSXselby? (who lives near Bazza), had an oem clutch done there last year and it was far cheaper than Honda! Something which I may consider if a clutch is needed in the future! HTH

Yes James ive been to TDI north a few times ORT systemR as it can be called. As for getting work done watch this space. Somewhere might be opening up not far from us who will be very good with all things cars and honda.