PDA

View Full Version : Our first race!

Rob_Fenn
01-10-2007, 11:03 AM
We had our first race in the NSX on Sunday at Donnington. Our race was quite late but we got there pretty early. The event was organised by the Aston Martin OC so as you can imagine there were a lot of Hooray Henrys about, with some expensive machinery.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/robfenn/amoc1.jpg

We had a little nose around the paddock to see what we were up against. Our race had 29 entries and we were in a difficult class (the cut off point was 3.0 litres and we have 3.2).

Sod's law reared it's head, Raf from Plans found that one of the splines in the hub was buggered as he started to prepare the car. It meant we couldn't get the wheel off and change the tyre! The decision was made to qualify because of time constraints with the tyre (Toyo) left on with Avons on the other corners... a bit worrying!

Despite the set back, the car felt really good in qualifying with a smidgeon of understeer. We qualified 18th and with 1 second between us and the 4 above we knew we had a chance of doing better in the race. The pole sitter, one of the supercharged K20'd Exiges in our class, was over 3 seconds quicker so an outright or class win was never on the cards sadly!

Our race was the last of the day so Raf had time to fix the problem with stud/hub. He actually did it pretty quickly in the end. Needless to say we were apprehensive about driving without a stud, but now you know why the Japs insist on 5 stud wheels...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/robfenn/amoc3.jpg

Our race was a half hour endurance, where we had to swap drivers. We were sad enough to practice our change over quite a few times! Our best was 29.6 seconds, woohoo!

With my dad being on the bigger side he went first, as it meant less belt adjustment when changing over. It also meant he was the one who had to start - i personally didn't want to barrel into the first corner!!

Seeing dad on the start line was a nervous experience, but i had to admire him as he angled the car towards the inside with lights ablaze! He showed muchos balls as he pulled from a 355 Challenge car (100bhp on us) from the start and made two places, also avoided a Mustang closing the door on him.

He battled through his stint and made up 5 places before bringing it into me for the change and i got in the car without a hitch. I was a bit exuberant with the revs as i pulled away ;)

As i pulled out of the pitlane i had the winning Exige behind me, after being blue flagged i tried to hang onto him which allowed me make a couple of places. I managed to set the best lap of our day i these early laps but frustratingly a Mardi Gras prepared DC5 Integra touring car was catching at a second a lap. Confusingly i was blue flagged, but with him being quicker in the first half of the lap and me quicker in the second i wasn't prepared to simply let him go and wreck my lap. I was on the ragged edge trying to keep distance between me and him but eventually i let him slip by as another fast Exige passed. I laterly found it was for race position and i let him past on the last lap, d'oh! But the driver was a nice bloke, had a good chat with them. Turns out a guy at Mardi Gras helped with the NSX Le Mans cars so he was all over the car.

Despite that annoyance, we finished 10th. We were over the moon and i punched the air like i had won the thing...! Our driver change practice had obviously worked, as well as our consistent driving, as despite the car behind us beating our best lap by 2 seconds, we finished 40 seconds ahead of it!

It was great to be racing, can't put it into words the rush you get... the adrenalin is immense! I really have to urge you guys to give it a go! Hopefully Plans are going to be putting a cost effective race pack together so more NSXs can get on the track (and you 3.0 guys could do well in class).

We have to pick our battles with the NSX (power-to-weight classification is much kinder on us) but over the closed season we're going to try and get some serious weight out of it with perspex and other bits.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/robfenn/amoc4.jpg

Once again a big thanks to Plans Motorsport, to Barry for getting the manifold over (improves the sound nicely..car is currently 102db without Taitec backbox fitted yet), and Honda for building such a great, reliable car!

If you want to see a lap of Donington, here is a richer Plans Motorsport customer doing it in a Mclaren F1 car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SBhrkrLEcA

Rob_Fenn
01-10-2007, 11:13 AM
P.S. We are considering getting a vehicle wrap done. If anyone has the NSXCB logo in a workable format we can work that into the design. Also, if Barry can do the same :)

PeteM
01-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Excellent write up Rob, glad to hear how well you got on in the X compared to other exotic machinery and in your first race outing.

I love the donnington track but I can imagine how different a race day is compared to a track day!

Excellent work, keep flying the flag...:)

Steveycaz
01-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Congratulations Rob. Was that your first ever race in any car? If so an even more impressive result. I don't think I'd race my NSX - couldn't afford the repair bills! But certainly making me want to do more track sessions.

Looking forwad to the NSXCB wrap!

Rob_Fenn
01-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys :). Yes, first race ever for us. Forgot to mention thanks to Roberto our instructor who has been tutoring us for the past few years though, undoubtedly that has helped.

Expense is always the big issue, understandably. What i would implore everyone to do is to at least get a National B race license. Even if you don't get the opportunity to race, it allows you to to test days that are cheaper than trackdays, yet less busy. No silly rules either...

You can tell your mates you're a race driver too ;)

AR
01-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Congratulations on doing so well. Have you considered changing the front bumper to 02 spec and adding the full undertray to help with downforce even more.

Cheers,

AR

gumball
01-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Exellent stuff, well done:bigsmile:

Rob_Fenn
01-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks mate.

We are getting the rear diffuser from Barry. The biggest problem is front tyres, namely slicks. Currently cars like the Aston N24 run fronts as wide as our rears! The NSX simply doesn't have the space under the arches (slicks hit the headlamp motors).

Our plan is to get some after market front wings that will allows us to change the wheels with a lower offset, allowing the wheel/tyre to move without rubbing.

We might upgrade to the newer look too at the same time... loads of things we want though so comes down to affording it all!

amo
01-10-2007, 02:04 PM
congrats mate
iv been dyin to get my car on track but looks like i might have to change zorts everytime i want a track session
no worries

thx amo

Rob_Fenn
01-10-2007, 02:28 PM
If you haven't already got them mate try the bungs from Taitec. Or a more serious solution are a set of these...

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=MSD543-2519

Steveycaz
01-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Are you using your car as a road car as well Rob?

Rob_Fenn
01-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Sadly no, not that it couldn't be used as one as it's road legal. With the suspension being adjustable a tweak of the damping knobs and it is fine on the road. The biggest problem is where to store it safely, which is why it currently lives at Plans. Also the beefy rollcage wouldn't be great in an incident without a helmet.

I do hope to get it on the road to a meet at some point, it's just that something is always being done to it!

dan the man
01-10-2007, 04:58 PM
awsome write up and WELL DONE.

Id love a go at racing, but alas its a rich mans sport any form of motorsport. You will have to keep us updated and if u venture to oulton park we or any other venue we can all come out in force and watch :)

Steve
01-10-2007, 08:10 PM
I used to go to Donnington quite often in my motorcycling days, what was the most exciting part of the track for you??

bazza
01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Cannot believe i missed this!

Congrats Rob! Glad the Taitec system is doing the business for you.
Rear diffuser and center exit system with Plans soon..

My sticker guy was supposed to get 6 stickers over to John for Friday. They not arrive??

markc
01-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Nice one Rob, you're doing what I'd love to :)

Most people give the "... I wouldn't start from here if I were you" type of advice when you say you want to race an NSX. Well done for persevering.

Detailed results of your race can be found here...

http://www.amoc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=713&Itemid=303

Look in the "Invitation Endurance" race at the end of the PDF.

Let us know when the next outing is and I'll see if I can get along to support.

Cheers

Mark

amo
01-10-2007, 09:31 PM
If you haven't already got them mate try the bungs from Taitec. Or a more serious solution are a set of these...

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=MSD543-2519

mate tried a set that came with the zorst only reduced it by 2-3db wich comes down to a big ...............
114db lol
so looks like ill try ur link thx mate
thx amo

TheSebringOne
01-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Rob, excellant result and well done. Keep the flag flying for NSXCB! :thumbsup:

Rob_Fenn
02-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the link to the results Mark, nice to see!

Thanks for everyone's support... i guess we were so wrapped up in nerves to think about actually giving people notice about this.

There is a slim chance we will race at Snetterton next month but otherwise it's then the closed season so a while till we're back. Will keep you all informed though!

Rob_Fenn
02-10-2007, 07:52 AM
I used to go to Donnington quite often in my motorcycling days, what was the most exciting part of the track for you??

Did you do the full GP lap for that?

I enjoyed Coppice, the long corner before the back straight. Generally the second half of the circuit was enjoyable as i was pretty quick there! Of course the Craners are fun too...

The car had absolutely no vices which made the whole circuit a joy really!