PDA

View Full Version : temperature gage

craigdonnelly
28-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Alright kids, A couple of times when I've been sitting stationary for around 5-10 minutes my temperature gage has shot up to the red!

This would makes sense if I'd been out for a blast or a long journey but it's not. Tonight when I stopped to talk to a friend it happened again. It didn't make sense and it's happened before so I didn't stop the engine and carried on with my journey. After moving about ten yards the gage went back to normal position. i thought to myself if the engine was really hot enough for the gage to be in the red then it would take further than 10 yards for the air to help cool the engine. This has happened 2 or 3 times.

any ideas or has anyone experienced this. it's still under warranty with Honda.

TheSebringOne
28-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Faulty or tempermental engine coolant sensor? Does the cooling fan come on near the front rad. Strange considering its now alot cooler and for the reading to shoot back down after only 10 yards! If its under warranty, get it checked out properly too. HTH

britlude
29-09-2007, 08:16 AM
did you check the coolant level? it may be low.... any warm engine doesn't take long to spike up hot if the pump is in an air bubble! there's a lot of coolant low down, so it could 'puddle' at the front so moving forward 10 yards, i'd imagine, is enough to sent a 'wave' of cooler fluid back to the engine....making the gauge drop like a stone.... just a thought

craigdonnelly
29-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to give it to Honda to check out asap. I think it must be a faulty sensor because as i said I knew it could be that warm so quickly and when I drive away it goes down like a stone!.

Mr_Spanners
29-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Sounds like the thermostat is sticking shut to me... but I guess the Honda Tech will idnetify the problem easy enough!

craigdonnelly
30-09-2007, 04:36 PM
today I was in Edinburgh city center stopping and starting in traffic for at least two hours and the temperature gage didn't go up once!

TheSebringOne
30-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Two hours starting n stopping in the city Centre would wind me up or were you cruising Miami style! :D