PDA

View Full Version : 20 NSX's for sale on Autotrader

simonprelude
20-09-2007, 01:00 PM
That's the most I have ever seen.

What's happening with the UK NSX market, some of these are new to me.

So more than 5% of the cars on our shores at the moment for sale.

TheSebringOne
20-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Should we be worried by this? Whats wrong with some of the sellers? Have they fallen out with the old or newer gal!? Personally I think its a bit sad! :(:( Anyone here?

Papalazarou
20-09-2007, 01:44 PM
I think it's a good thing in a way. At least the potential buyer has a choice. Before it was a couple of early autos and a couple of late facelifts. When I was looking for a car this put me off because nothing came up for months, so I started looking at 'common cars' like 911's and M3's.
It makes the market for X's look more bouyant for sure and may even firm up prices, especially when there are 2001 cars retailing for rather a lot!

Cheers,

James.

BabyG
20-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Make that 19 - one of them's mine!

DamianW
20-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Didn't you lot hear? Honda have discovered an issue with the NSX's engine, whereby it explodes on January 1st 2008. We all got letters about it.

dan the man
20-09-2007, 02:52 PM
lol...my car will be sat in the garage..so the engine explodes while its not running?

man honda never cease to amaze me :)

Steve
20-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Nobody mentioned to me the engine exploding thing when I bought my car. With my very ltd knowledge of engines, please can someone tell me what I have to do to stop this from happening?

simonprelude
20-09-2007, 04:08 PM
All you have to do is drive it, minimum of 5000 miles a year.
That's quite a few people on here that should be worried.

Nobody mentioned to me the engine exploding thing when I bought my car. With my very ltd knowledge of engines, please can someone tell me what I have to do to stop this from happening?

Senninha
20-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Interestingly there is about 5% of the TVR Griffith market for sale on Pistonheads = over 50 cars. 20 NSX is a wider choice but they are still predominately of the early or late models, still very rare to see a 3.2 pop-up :)

We are probably in some small way responsible for this rise in interest following Japfest and the media coverage of late.

looks like the black auto on Autotrader has an NSX-R engine cover ??

simonprelude
20-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Nice exhaust and alloys also, worth buying as a parts car ??

looks like the black auto on Autotrader has an NSX-R engine cover ??

TheQuietOne
20-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I like it - the more choice there is the more realistic the pricing of cars will be as people will have a better idea what to put them at. I actually think it will slow down the 'silly priced' cars appearing! I agree that J@pfest has made a real difference in the market...:)

cas
20-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi

If anything goes wrong they are more expensive to fix than the average Ferrari and much harder to find a good garage to do the work - I have had to fix: power steering, abs modulator, stereo, cambelt, air -con, TCS, worn leather seats, petrol flap, wind noise and creeks, washers, flapping headlights and a cracked front chassis - Honda wanted eye watering amounts of money - remember the member who was quoted 10k to replace 4 bushes in the rear suspension! - The real question is given the hassle why are'nt there 400 on auto trader! By the way mine is not for sale!

TheQuietOne
20-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi

If anything goes wrong they are more expensive to fix than the average Ferrari and much harder to find a good garage to do the work - I have had to fix: power steering, abs modulator, stereo, cambelt, air -con, TCS, worn leather seats, petrol flap, wind noise and creeks, washers, flapping headlights and a cracked front chassis - Honda wanted eye watering amounts of money - remember the member who was quoted 10k to replace 4 bushes in the rear suspension! - The real question is given the hassle why are'nt there 400 on auto trader! By the way mine is not for sale!

You certainly make some odd and negative posts on this forum. Your experiences are not the norm and that is the answer to your question! I have had one thing that cost me £7.20 (oil pressure switch) to replace and 4 services including two large (one including the cam belts and water pump) and they have in total cost me £1450. Find me any Ferrari you could run for that using their main dealer network and I will be very, very surprised. Add to that the fact my car has carried me 37,000 miles in two years without once refusing to start or leaving me stranded, and it is a VERY hard act to follow in the realms of exotica.

I appreciate that despite everything you love your car but posts like the above for me at least are alarmist, especially as we have a good crop of new owners on the site at the moment.

Anyway each to his own I suppose...:rolleyes:

simonprelude
20-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Your's certainly does not sound like the norm though ??

Has prior accident damage and owner neglect been looked into ??

Hi

NSXGB
20-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi

You should have looked at the "Common Faults" thread. Most of what you've mentioned - apart from service issues and wear & tear - can be fixed for pounds.

jaytip
21-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Your's certainly does not sound like the norm though ??

Has prior accident damage and owner neglect been looked into ??
But the majority of what he mentions is the norm,do a search on Prime and you will se that most of what he mentions has failed on cars at some time or other during their lives.
Take the snap ring issue for example,while only a problem on a two year run of cars it never the less was a problem,the little window blocks failing,speakers failing,abs playing up through lack of use,cambelt is normal wear and tear,if you keep your car long enough you will have to change it,worn leather seats(bolsters) happens to all of them,heating(air-con)can and does play up.The list goes on.
While these cars do have their problems,they are still very reliable for the TYPE of car they are,a supercar,but just because they have a Honda badge it does not mean they can't go wrong.

simonprelude
21-09-2007, 06:24 PM
I was more referring to the cracked front chassis :(

TheSebringOne
21-09-2007, 10:40 PM
What you mean 5000 miles pa! :eek: Well Si I'm screwed then, must take the girl out more! Mind you when I do go out, I play with everything! like air con, cd, windows and hit brakes to activate the ABS, so hopefully and touch wood, its going to give me piece of mind in the future! :)

jaytip
22-09-2007, 03:59 AM
I was more referring to the cracked front chassis :(
I agree with you on that one,that is an unusual failure.

gsuds
22-09-2007, 07:20 AM
There's been 2 of us with pretty major, and majorly expensive, rear chassis damage.

They do wear, and do cost mega, when things like that happen.

Still much cheaper than a Ferrari at that end of the scale though.

They are still just cars, which because of their everyday usability and high build standards / engineering with high speed capability, will rack up miles often under reasonably high stress so not unreasonable to expect big bills from time to time. Less frequently than nearly all other similar cars, but it happens nonetheless.

Graham
(still lovin' it)

cas
22-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi

I believe that most people who buy an NSX do not buy it for the brand. I bought mine so I could drive something exhilarating all year round. The number of NSX's crashed and bashed by club members suggests that as a group we are less precious about our cars - we simple want to get it in and drive. In summer I drove from the Coventry to Aberystwyth and back through the Welsh mountains with the top off - fabulous. The NSX's ease of use takes the driver to the edge very quickly - which is when things start to get interesting. I think in 2006 4 or 5 club members serously bashed/ wrote off their cars - which out 200 cars means 1 in 40!! Perhaps the club should adopt the motto "lin the fast lane nothing's gonna last forever"

Boomin33
23-09-2007, 02:07 PM
The thread got me worried.. as I'm picking mine up this week. Having said that, looking at them all, don't see one I'd rather have had than the one I got. Looking at the prices, I didn't pay to much either, which is comforting.

Would have been nice to pick up that Silver one for £26K though, huh. 11,500 miles!

Boomin33
23-09-2007, 02:53 PM
That's the most I have ever seen.

What's happening with the UK NSX market, some of these are new to me.

I thought that closer to 500 were sold in the UK?

Boomin33
23-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi

Oh my god... I made the wrong choice, bought an unreliable expensive rust bucket.. .. doubt I'll sleep for weeks...
what am i going to do.. what am I going to do...

;)

It's a shame more and more people didn't market this info about a year ago... I probably would have paid substantially less for my ride!
damn...

Papalazarou
23-09-2007, 05:42 PM
I thought that closer to 500 were sold in the UK?

I think most people agree on a figure of mid 400's + imports. however, loads have been written off and Simon's database I believe stands at around 230-240 so my guess would be somewhere around 300 remaining

Cheers,

James.

simonprelude
24-09-2007, 08:18 AM
These are the official Honda figures, not sure where in 2002 they are updated to, however top gear states that 2003 had around 14 sales ??

Year Sales
1991 125
1992 41
1993 47
1994 19
1995 55
1996 38
1997 35
1998 10
1999 17
2000 11
2001 8
2002+ 23+

Silver Surfer
24-09-2007, 10:36 AM
I wonder how many 1994's are left?
2001's are pretty rare too I see.

SS

Andy
24-09-2007, 11:25 AM
A previous thread listed the number of NSX's sold in the UK as follows:

Year Number
1991 125
1992 41
1993 47
1994 19
1995 55
1996 38
1997 35
1998 10
1999 17
2000 11
2001 8
2002 23
2003 20
2004 17
2005 10 (guestimate (the "last 10")
Total 476

Papalazarou
24-09-2007, 12:40 PM
So we're up to around 500 or so with imports. I wonder how many of these cars have died in the last 16 years?

Since I've had an NSX there's been around 15 - 20 cars hit the scrap heap although Matt, luke and I did spot a ressurected 99' Auto write off at Japfest this year.

Cheers,

James.