PDA

View Full Version : back in the fold...

gunner
18-09-2007, 06:31 PM
I was fortunate enough to own one of the last 12 models for 6 months last year,the silverstone targa.I sold it when my kid was born and have missed it ever since.I have located another car and am about to purchase it (details to follow)...It needs a couple of new rear tyres.The dealer tells me that because it's under warranty the tyres that should be fitted are not currently available and will take 2 months!He says that I can use plenty of other tyres which he will provide but that I'll have to sign a waiver if I take the car without the 'real' tyres until they arrive in a couple of months.Any thoughts?Good to be back...

forumadmin
18-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Plenty of other tyres are just as good. Get the dealer to change all four to match though.

Go for GoodYear GSD-3s they seem to be popular.

dan the man
18-09-2007, 06:34 PM
sounds like tosh.

Tyres all ware out regardless of warranty or not..its a consunmable, i dont gettit.

Id get the money off the tyres and get the car and source your own..

what an idiot!

TheQuietOne
18-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Congrats - I'm on my second set of the GSD3's and after 30,000+ am very happy with them...

Senninha
18-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Welcome back!

I would contact Honda UK for clarity on the tyres / warranty. I find it hard to beleive Honda would expect you to park the car for 2 months awaiting tyres, let alone waive any of your rights.

Definately change all four to match as IMO a front to rear mis match would be higher risk and bad advice from the dealer.

+1 for the F1's

Post pics when your new P&J is home.

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
19-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Welcome back to this happy little community!

Maybe Bridgestones RE040 fronts and RE050 rears if changing all fours to same maker?

What tyres are the fronts at present?

Goodyears F1s GSD3s are a great all rounder, ask TQO (aka Driving Miss Daisy!)

HTH :)

gunner
19-09-2007, 05:26 AM
brilliant,thanks guys,I'll be reporting back shortly.

just wanted to say that the people on this forum are awesome.Helpful,friendly,non aggressive...genuine enthusiasts,unlike on so many 'mine's bigger than yours' forums out there.I am very lucky and have owned a few nice cars in my time but one of the things that has kept me so enthused about the NSX (outside of how magnificent it is) is the quality of the people who seem to like/drive them.Cheers.

dan the man
19-09-2007, 06:11 AM
yeah but just remember yellow coupes are fastest tho..

bloody newbie...

:D

Kevin
19-09-2007, 06:30 AM
yeah but just remember yellow coupes are fastest tho..

bloody newbie...
:D

Err Gunner has been here longer than you matey.

....and its n00b:rolleyes:

dan the man
19-09-2007, 06:32 AM
LMAO...

as soon as i posted it that crossed my mind..

well sod of all of you then im off back to teg forums :(

Senninha
19-09-2007, 06:48 AM
LMAO...

as soon as i posted it that crossed my mind..

well sod of all of you then im off back to teg forums :(Ahh..real cars too much for you DTM? ;):laugh:

DamianW
19-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Two month wait for tyres reflects my experience the last time I tried to get A022. They're not worth the wait, yet another vote for the Goodyears here.

I can sort of understand why Honda are asking you to sign a waiver, although they ought to have more faith in their products. If the tyres gave a lot more grip that standard (they don't) they could start putting extra strain on the suspension causing a failure which you'd then try and claim for.

I suppose the danger of using non standard tyres might be that if you did have some sort of brake/suspension/drivetrain failure they might try and blame your non standard tyres.

TheSebringOne
19-09-2007, 10:42 PM
DTM, I know you can be a funny Lancashire lad, but thought that newbie bit above was a tad mean! Apart from that, I forgive ya :D:laugh: I think Gunner's speech deserves a thread/forum Oscar if theres such a thing! Nice words about this club tho. :thumbsup:

gunner
20-09-2007, 07:35 AM
ha ha.will post pics of the car next week.deal done.Drove a couple of very exotic pieces of kit over the summer including a Gallardo quite extensively.All well and good but for tactility/balance/noise/gearshift and exploitability the NSX truly is an all time great.

dan the man
20-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Ahh..real cars too much for you DTM? ;):laugh:

yeah i miss playing on the playstation..i can handle that . :(

simonprelude
20-09-2007, 08:14 AM
If you are desperate for OEM tyres then RE010's are still available from the USA, well they were last time I discussed with Dali. They come in pretty much the same price as they were in the UK, however you then need to add shipping and import duty, so aim to be paying around double :(

I have one spare rear (think it's drivers side with around 6mm of tread on it) so if you can find a passenger side the you are welcome to it.

bazza
20-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Welcome back.. :)

Boomin33
23-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I was fortunate enough to own one of the last 12 models for 6 months last year,the silverstone targa.I sold it when my kid was born and have missed it ever since.I have located another car and am about to purchase it (details to follow)...It needs a couple of new rear tyres.The dealer tells me that because it's under warranty the tyres that should be fitted are not currently available and will take 2 months!He says that I can use plenty of other tyres which he will provide but that I'll have to sign a waiver if I take the car without the 'real' tyres until they arrive in a couple of months.Any thoughts?Good to be back...

OK.. this strikes a chord. Saw your new car at the Dealer...( I think ) very nice, and yes the back tyres were in def need of replacement.

Ivan said the same to me... Didn't think about the mismatch.. he's putting Michelins on the Front as the existing tires were perished.. with the "brand new" Standards on the back.

Is it going to screw with handling that much???

Bet it already done as I spoke to him on Thursday..

TheQuietOne
23-09-2007, 06:18 PM
OK.. this strikes a chord. Saw your new car at the Dealer...( I think ) very nice, and yes the back tyres were in def need of replacement.

Ivan said the same to me... Didn't think about the mismatch.. he's putting Michelins on the Front as the existing tires were perished.. with the "brand new" Standards on the back.

Is it going to screw with handling that much???

Bet it already done as I spoke to him on Thursday..

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but on my 16/17 wheels I had brand new Yoko's (correct for the car) on the front, and brand new Michelin Sport P Zero Sport (or something like that - their best tyre) on the back. The car was lethal in the wet, and felt all round twitchy. Drove it for 9,000 miles like that and it wasn't fun. Since switching to F1's back and front it has been all :)'s since!

If you can pick it up with a matching set! :(

Boomin33
24-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but on my 16/17 wheels I had brand new Yoko's (correct for the car) on the front, and brand new Michelin Sport P Zero Sport (or something like that - their best tyre) on the back. The car was lethal in the wet, and felt all round twitchy. Drove it for 9,000 miles like that and it wasn't fun. Since switching to F1's back and front it has been all :)'s since!

If you can pick it up with a matching set! :(

I think I caught it in time. Going to drive one the old fronts for now and when the Dunlops? or whatever the factory fitted ones arrive ( as the rears are brand new ) I will have them fitted locally.

phew...

Thanks nsxcb!!!

TheSebringOne
24-09-2007, 11:04 PM
TQO, you must curess your tyres man, 9000 on Yokos! (softest tyres available)? Typically like all Yokos they are awesome in dry, but pants in the wet! Also 33,000 on Goodyears F1s!:D Me, I'll be lucky to get 3500 on my OEMs RE010! Shame as I need to change em soon and they're like gold dust :(

gunner
30-09-2007, 04:42 PM
just tidying up some loose ends but it looks like Ivan will take the tyres off another NSX he's just bought and so all four will match and he'll then order new tyres for the other car (which is the long beach blue car he now has in the showroom,it's lovely incidentally in case anyone's looking).I'll report back later this week once I've taken delivery.Cheers.

gunner
05-10-2007, 11:54 AM
picked her up yesterday.Some of you may know the car.Black/red one of the last 12 with 6k on the clock.Gorgeous.
Drove her along roads that I have routinely tackled in the 997GT3.The Porsche steers and brakes better,and may be marinally quicker on the road (much quicker I would think on a track).Otherwise everything about the NSX is superior...truly mindblowing.

simonprelude
05-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Is this the one that went off to the Channel Islands ??
Any pictures yet ?

Didn't see this one advertised :(

picked her up yesterday.Some of you may know the car.Black/red one of the last 12 with 6k on the clock.Gorgeous.
Drove her along roads that I have routinely tackled in the 997GT3.The Porsche steers and brakes better,and may be marinally quicker on the road (much quicker I would think on a track).Otherwise everything about the NSX is superior...truly mindblowing.

Senninha
05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Is this the one that went off to the Channel Islands ??
Any pictures yet ?

Didn't see this one advertised :(

If this is the one then very pleased for you. Knowing where you bought it you will have been well looked after. Enjoy your very special NSX!

regards, Paul

TheQuietOne
05-10-2007, 12:29 PM

You lucky, luck man....enjoy!

DamianW
05-10-2007, 12:43 PM

Thats a pleasantly surprising statement. Care to elaborate? What does the NSX do better? I'd guess it rides a lot better, and the gearchange is probably sweeter - what else?

Edit: oh and gorgeous car - the facelift shape in black is absolutely awesome looking.

Silver Surfer
05-10-2007, 08:09 PM

Errrr..... Is it black or is it red? As asked above, you said the GT3 steers, brakes, drive faster........what else is left? :(

Congrats anyway! :)

SS

simonprelude
05-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Black with Red leather I would guess :D

Errrr..... Is it black or is it red? As asked above, you said the GT3 steers, brakes, drive faster........what else is left? :(

Congrats anyway! :)

SS

TheSebringOne
05-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Gunner, thats one gorgeous looking black final 12 X, enjoy it lots! :) Interesting number plate 6865? If you don't mind me asking why have ditched the GT3 in favour of a brilliant X? Maybe its too track orientated? Don't tell me you have both?! :(

NSXGB
06-10-2007, 03:26 PM
It may be a tad premature (!), but if you ever decide to sell, please get in touch with me. :)
I really like the black 02+.

gunner
07-10-2007, 09:28 AM
thanks for all the responses guys.
It is black with red interior and no I don't think that's a picture of the same car although the exterior is identical.certainly it's a different number plate.
I will keep the GT3 too but as I said the NSX is a better roadcar at least imo.It rides better,is much more tactile generally (especially the shift),sounds better,looks better and is far less stressful to drive,especially around town.
Sorry for my technical incompetence or I'd honestly post some pics...the interior looks wicked!all the best.

TheQuietOne
07-10-2007, 10:03 AM
thanks for all the responses guys.
It is black with red interior and no I don't think that's a picture of the same car although the exterior is identical.certainly it's a different number plate.
I will keep the GT3 too but as I said the NSX is a better roadcar at least imo.It rides better,is much more tactile generally (especially the shift),sounds better,looks better and is far less stressful to drive,especially around town.
Sorry for my technical incompetence or I'd honestly post some pics...the interior looks wicked!all the best.

I'm soooooo jealous! If you want to email the pics to me at matt@d3kko.com I'll gladly post them! Will you make it to a meet in the future, there are so many of us that would love to see an 02+ in black - it is my dream NSX!!!

TheSebringOne
07-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Some guys have all the luck! A gorgeous 02+ in black and a GT3! What more can I guy want!? Yes, another jealous punter here. Would great to see one in the flesh too as must be very rare colour in the final incarnation. What colour is the GT3 and is it a mark1 or mark2? :)

gunner
08-10-2007, 11:29 AM
It's a 997GT3 although I will sell it shortly before residuals start to bash me up!

Simon I will definitely keep you in mind should I come to sell it although having let a good one go once and regretted it,I hope not to make the same mistake again!Cheers.

TheQuietOne
08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Pics....??:D

TheSebringOne
08-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Gunner, without getting too much into the targa v coupe debate (sorry guys & gals again!) Any reason you went for a coupe this time as oppose to your previous Targa (Silverston final 12)? Was it you wanted a very late model, in a rare black or there was a limited choice out there? Also have you found any slight difference in driving characteristics bewteen the fixed roofed and targa? Love to see pics too like TQO mentioned. :thumbsup:

gunner
10-10-2007, 06:47 PM
truth is it was exactly as you describe,ie right car,right time.I prefer the coupe just because I don't like the whole roof off vibe and although broadly similar you can always tell the difference when pushing on.Not much though.If the black car had been a targa I would absolutely still have bought it.Will try to take some pics this w.e. and then come back for downloading instructions.
ps GT3 now sold...that's how much I love the NSX,it really is the better motor imo.

Senninha
10-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Pics....??:DTalking of pics, nice new avatar Matt ... took a few moments but my money is on OSF headlamp/bonnet area.

regards, Paul

TheQuietOne
10-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Talking of pics, nice new avatar Matt ... took a few moments but my money is on OSF headlamp/bonnet area.

Bingo! Not a great picture but it was taken after a very spirited drive to Pembrokeshire to stay at my God Parents retreat in January this year (see the Welsh anti-police number plate in the background!).

We're a sad bunch...:D

gunner
17-10-2007, 05:49 AM
the quiet one,
I mailed you a pic for posting if you can be bothered,will try to take some more when it dries out!
best,Gunner.

TheQuietOne
17-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Here you go - some from the front would be good too! :D

TheSebringOne
17-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Very tasty colour, in fact gorgeous !